Post subject: Camshaft replacement...
Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

Hey guys.

I wanna upgrade the cam in my el xr8...
If i supplied the cam, what would you guys think it would cost to have it professionally installed?

I got quoted $1200 to supply and fit a cam in Sydney, but got told off a few blokes that $1200 was a total rip!

Also, any recommendations of where would be a GOOD place to get it installed along with some other engine gear at a decent price?

Cheers guys.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

$1200 isn't too bad but you probably can find cheaper, also depends on what parts they are going to replace. Most decent cams need better valve springs and retainers, if they are included in the price then its not bad. When people tell you it is a rip, they probably don't know that the Ford 5L uses roller cams which are expensive to begin with ($400+) and also there is a lot of work to actually replace them. Gaskets alone will be another $1-200, valve springs and retainers add $300, timing chain $100. You should also really think of adding some roller rockers if you are upgrading the cam, they will cost you another $5-600. One final thing, although you will get some benefit with a cam upgrade, you will not get the ful effect if you are still running stock heads and intake, both of which are extremely restrictive.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Hilux 4x4 now

NSW, Australia

I had a crow billet suppled and installed for 600 that included fitting the air intake as well.

Stercus accidit

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal...

Ken

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Damn u over head cam bois! I got quotes almost double that!!

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
$1200 isn't too bad but you probably can find cheaper, also depends on what parts they are going to replace. Most decent cams need better valve springs and retainers, if they are included in the price then its not bad. When people tell you it is a rip, they probably don't know that the Ford 5L uses roller cams which are expensive to begin with ($400+) and also there is a lot of work to actually replace them. Gaskets alone will be another $1-200, valve springs and retainers add $300, timing chain $100. You should also really think of adding some roller rockers if you are upgrading the cam, they will cost you another $5-600. One final thing, although you will get some benefit with a cam upgrade, you will not get the ful effect if you are still running stock heads and intake, both of which are extremely restrictive.

What would be an acceptable price if i supplied everything for the cam change, ie. cam, springs + retainers + timing chain?

Also, im looking at buying a trickflow kit but getting the cam installed by a mechanic as its a fairly big job. I was thinking about installing the heads + intake manifold & injectors myself as there isnt too much involved in that, i think? :?

So yeah, there isnt really much point going all out on a cam when the heads + intake wont meet its potential, thus the reason for the trickflow kit :lol:

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

well if u can do all that stuff put ure own cam in as well its not that hard buy a manual and a tension wrench and ull be fine!!!
i dont think its a hard job then shouldnt cost u over 400 plus ull have some new tools hey

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Bassfreak55 wrote:
What would be an acceptable price if i supplied everything for the cam change, ie. cam, springs + retainers + timing chain?

It's probably a half to ful days work for a mechanic to change the cam so probably anywhere from $3-600 for labout I would think.

Bassfreak55 wrote:
Also, im looking at buying a trickflow kit but getting the cam installed by a mechanic as its a fairly big job. I was thinking about installing the heads + intake manifold & injectors myself as there isnt too much involved in that, i think? :?

If you are doing heads and intake yourself, then most of the hard work is done. Once they are off, its only another hours work to do the cam swap so do it yourself. You can just follow the repair manual and you will be fine.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
Bassfreak55 wrote:
If you are doing heads and intake yourself, then most of the hard work is done. Once they are off, its only another hours work to do the cam swap so do it yourself. You can just follow the repair manual and you will be fine.

Another hours work to fully swap the cam over? You reckon? Dont you have to either remove the radiator and front bumper bar or the engine?
If not, how do i go about getting access to the cam to pull it straight out?

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Bassfreak55 wrote:
Another hours work to fully swap the cam over? You reckon? Dont you have to either remove the radiator and front bumper bar or the engine?

Yeah if you are doing the cam swap with the engine in the car, you will have to remove the radiator and A/C condensor but that doesn't take too long. I have always found it easier to remove the engine from the car but either way it's not as hard as it sounds.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
Bassfreak55 wrote:

Yeah if you are doing the cam swap with the engine in the car, you will have to remove the radiator and A/C condensor but that doesn't take too long. I have always found it easier to remove the engine from the car but either way it's not as hard as it sounds.

Meh.. I really dont wanna take off the front bumper, radiator & a/c condensor and also fork out for an a/c re-gas! lol ..I also dont have access to an engine hoist and therefore have no way of removing the engine! Though if i did, id be rebuilding the bottom end while im at it! :lol:

I guess id have no choice but to pay a pro to do it then.. :?

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Bassfreak55 wrote:
[also fork out for an a/c re-gas!

AC regas is only $100 and modding is never cheap. First rule is find out the price you think the mod will cost you and then double it to get a better idea :lol: But as far as I know, you can leave the condensor hooked up and just move it enough to get the cam out.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
Bassfreak55 wrote:
[also fork out for an a/c re-gas!

AC regas is only $100 and modding is never cheap. First rule is find out the price you think the mod will cost you and then double it to get a better idea :lol: But as far as I know, you can leave the condensor hooked up and just move it enough to get the cam out.

I think i might ring around first and get a few quotes, lol!
Can anyone recommend any reputable engine builders in the Sydney to install my cam kit? :lol:

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Bassfreak55 wrote:
I think i might ring around first and get a few quotes, lol!

Good idea, just make sure they include the springs and retainers if you are going to run the cam on your stock heads, obviously if you are changing the heads at the same time you won't need them.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Exactly, if you're going to do the cam you might as well do the intake as well as the heads in my opinion..

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

When I did mine I just moved the air con pipes out of the way and went back easy..Taking front bumper off is easy too.Just unclip plastic bits on side and four bolts on chasis rail...

Have you considered fitting 1:72 rollor rockers ?? i'd start from maf, heads, inlet then throttle body...
from memory std cam is .444 lift but with 1.72 ratio it's .477...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]