Fordmods Logo

New aerial 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

If you go an electric aerial, be careful on what brand you get, if you get the supercheap $30 ones, they don't fit into the spot for e-falcons, they do sell the EB/ED/EF ones, but the are about $90 each ..

I put a nasty supercheap one in mine, just had to get the hack saw out, and cut the insides of the guard to make it sit right up inside. ... 15 min job turned into 2 hour job.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Make sure you get a aerial for a 'e' series this will go in the guard correctly. The rubber plug in the top of the guard just pulls out. My aerial came with a tool to undo the top aerial nut (inside guard) you will then nee to get inside the wheel arch, this is easier with the wheel off.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Bought an Aerpro AP68 (Falcon EA, EB, ED antenna).

Now I have no idea how to get out the top aerial nut from the existing antenna :oops: , plus I would like to do it all from the top of the car if possible.

What do I need to do? Thanks.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Wel the hole at the top of the panel where the aerial goes through is not largeg enough for it to come out that way, so that wont be happening. The first aerial I got was a standard one and didnt have the nut to undo it with. So i lifted the black cap off, and then undid the nut with a pair of pliers being careful not to damage the panel

First thing to do is wind the wheel all the way to the left after parking. This negates the need to remove the wheel.

1) Inide the car - undo the three screws in the scuff plate, and remove.
2) remove the two big plastic screws in the triangular section in front of the scuff plate that hides the computer. Remove
3) Unplug the aerial lead

4) Move to the outside of the car - Remove the three screws from the mudflap if still fitted. Remove and sit aside.
5) This should enable the rear section of the plastic inner guard to become loose.
6) pull the inner guard towards the front of the vehicle. This is the easiest way to do things as far as removing and utting back together, but limits the room available to do the swap. If you require more room, remove the plastic inner guard totally.
7) Using either a phillips head screw driver or about a 10mm socket, remove/loosen the screw used to hold the earth to the body. Some are slotted and will negate the need to fully remove the screw.

8) Now weve got the fiddly bits done, move to the top of the car and remove the black plastic cap around the aerial. Underneath is the nut that we now need to get off. Lengthen the aerial a few stages. The nut can now be removed with pliers. If too tight, it may help to twist the aerial body under the guard to try and loosen the first bit. Should be easy enough for you all
9) Lower the aerial through the hole by using the end of the aerial as a guide. Back under the arch, remove the grommet where the wire runs through and pull the wire out.

10) Now weve removed our aerial. To reinstall is basically a reversal of the romeval preocedure. Extend the aerial and poke it up through the hole in the guard. Using the tip of the aerial pull it right up to the point where it will sit.
11) Drop the nut back over the aerial shaft and tighten.
12) Screw the earth lead back on and tighten. Poke the wire through the hole in the inside of the guard through to the old plug. Connect.
13) Make sure everything is tight and connected, and then put the inner guard bag in. Somewhere along the way scratch your knucles and/or fingers and/or arm.
14) Place the screws back through the inner guad and mudflap, and tighten.

15) Return the trim panels and screw back into place. Dont overtighten or you may strip the plastic nuts.

16) Start the motor and turn the wheels to straight before reversing out of the garage and removing the wheel. Sit back, turn on the radio, and listen as your aerial fails to pick up a signal. Another job well done! :P

A few small things. The original replacement i got from ford had a really short earth cable, so i couldnt disconnect it. It worked fine, and was only swapped out as i got an electric aerial. I picked this up when ford was moving premises, and got it for $4 (yes, four). A bargain if i do say so myself! I wired that up to a switch underneath the steering column, and can provide with how i got it to work with a momentary DPDT switch. Cheers, and good luck, take your time, and it should cause you no problems.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Oh, and i first replaced the aerial as i was missing the little black plastic cap on the top. Couldnt get one from ford, and couldnt be bothered finding one in the wreckers!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hi Andrew,

A few questions...

1) What and where is the scuff plate? :oops:
2) What is the "plastic inner guard"? Will it be obvious after removing the mudflap?

Also, I love step 16. :lol:

Thanks for the detailed explanation, should be easy to do now!

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

TheTechGod wrote:
Hi Andrew,

A few questions...

1) What and where is the scuff plate? :oops:
2) What is the "plastic inner guard"? Will it be obvious after removing the mudflap?

Also, I love step 16. :lol:

Thanks for the detailed explanation, should be easy to do now!

No worries :)

The plasitc inner guard is above the wheel and starts from behind the headlight, and follows along. Its what stops mud and stones and things getting lodged up in the guard and is just a big piece of plastic. Its pretty obvious but, it blocks you from getting to the aerial.

And just be careful, ive read other sets of instructions that state youll scratch yourself, and true to them, you do :P

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:02 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks again for the info, now I just need to work out what the scuff plate is. :)

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

TheTechGod wrote:
Thanks again for the info, now I just need to work out what the scuff plate is. :)

sorry dude, its that piece of plastic under where the door closes that stops your feet from scraping off the paint. Its long, rectangular, and chances are grey :D Its also where youre audio cables run under.

Code:
        ___
       /   \
______/     \

Thats a cross section of it when its taken off, and should continue to look like it, unless, like me, you manage to run it over and destroy it. And just for your information, you cant buy them new in dark grey EB series one style interior![/code]

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks again, I'll try it on the weekend and let you know how I go :)

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hi Andrew,

Managed to do it all... except step 2. So now I have the new aerial in there and the old one lose and next to it because I did not want to unplug the aerial lead until I found the other end to know where it goes.

For step 2, I found two big circle "plastic bits" that look like they would clip out and hide the screws under them. The problem is, I can't seem to clip them out... am I looking at the wrong thing?

Oh and step 13 is right on...

Thanks for any info :)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2