Fordmods Logo

Dissapointed with Rear Shocks 

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:00 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

yes i know what you mean. i too am running king springs and using Kyb shocks all around. im very happy with the front.; if you go to bounce the front of the car it is solid and barley moves. Where as the rear is still very spungie; and only feels slightly better than my catcus monroe air shocks with no air in them

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

When I was at Wakefield a few weeks back I had the chance to compare my EA with King S/lows and Gabriels (cheap but new atleast) to an XR6 EF with 1in lowered Lovells and Bilsteins all round.
Now, I could sit right next to him on the straight but being that his was manual and mine auto, he could punch out of most corners harder and get a car lngth in front.
So, power was pretty much the same, tyres were the same Yokies so it just left suspention to make the difference.
To push down on his car, it was alot firmer than mine, alot. Now, we could both go through the same corners at the same speeds and both remain nice and controlled... but when we both pushed harder the back of his would start to lift and wander mid corner, where as mine would stay down and really stick, especially over bumps where his would skip alittle but mine rode over in control.
On larger rises and dips mine would feel more loose and floppy where as his would stay in control... Bilsteins were working here, my Gabriels were doing bugger all to control the body.
So I think I'll splash out on Koni adjustables front and rear when these Gabs are fully rooted ( maybe soon I'd say) as I like the abuility to "tune" the ride as much as you like. I have Bilstiens in my other toy, but I dont think I'll use them again...not for track work anyway.

Oh and it was funny to see him come up to me after the first few laps and ask what I'd done to it... " I didnt expect an EA to hold an EF XR6!" Is what he was muttering...

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2