Fordmods Logo

250 pre crossflow 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: 250 pre crossflow
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

G'day fellas nice ta see the mighty x fals are worthy of a piece of electronic dirt they can call their own.......

I have cooling issues with a pre xfl 250. I have installed the mighty beast into my beloved XK.... yes thats right they still exist on the road.....

The radiator is basically the same size as the fairlane it came out of and is the HD core to boot with 14 fins per inch. I just had it cleaned out and have flushed the f@#k out of the motor before installing the rad but lo and behold.... the f@$kr still wants to get hot and sweaty. I only have room for the old 4 blade fan but that should be ample for tootling down the road. The timing is at 4dbtdc the contacts are fine and the mix is good there seems to be good flow from the water pump and the thermo also seems to work ok. The system builds good pressure and there is no milking of the oil nor is there bubbles in the water.

Would a smaller pully help the pump to get the water through faster and improve cooling or would it just cause the water to pass through too quick?

Should I pull the head off and check the water galleries to see if they are blocked? I have run an acid cleaner through the engine and the water seems to come out pretty clean and fast. :?

If anyone has some good ideas I would be very greatful.

Aslo I am looking to fit a 5 speed from an xf into it to replace the HD three speed from the Fairlane that donated the engine and gb.

Will the gearbox bolt up to the bellhousing or will the XF bellhousing bolt up to my sausage 250. :?:

And wait there's more.........

I am building a 200 cid for an xm and am after some suggestions. It is bored 60 thou over and I need new pistons for it, I also would like to put a nice cam in it.... suggest away.....

Keep up the great work fellas...

p.s. if anyone has a v8 fal sprint dif laying about i could put it to real good use... :D

Dunno what the top speed is........... but i sure did drag off that guy on tha push bike...

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:09 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XD wagon V8, Suzuki SV650S

ACT, Australia

have you pressuer tested the cooling system???

Why lord why? Why does every d**k head in a datsun wanna race me??? don't they know i don't like hurting there feelings??

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: FGX xr6

VIC, Australia

When is it overheating? On the Highway, idling, towing ect. Might help for an answer.

-Dave

If you can't do the speed limit, get the F*ck out of the right lane!

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

how about a thermo fan in front of the radiator?

Banned

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

is it actually overheating, could it possibly be a gauge/sender fault?

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Post subject: 200ci rebuild
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XY Falcon

VIC, Australia

dont go cheap on rod bolts for the 200 either.... arp were the best we come across but that was about 5-6 years ago...
never had any other reliability problems... the rod bolts always seemed to let go first.
this was in an xw falcon with a 3spd manual, had 200ci crank+rods, 221 head on it ported polished etc, flat tops, .30 thou over, 350 holley and a set of extractors i picked up for $10 at a swapmeet, 3.23 lsd, and boy did it just go... cant remember the grind of the cam but it was from the crow range...

hopefully that gives you some help...

Cheers
Phil

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]