Fordmods Logo

Install ground loop isolator between REX3 and Head Unit 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Install ground loop isolator between REX3 and Head Unit
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I have a hum in the speakers on my Territory when playing a DVD through the AUX input and the head unit and have been told that a ground loop isolator might help so i bought one from JB hi-fi and hope to install it myself.

The isolator has RCA leads and I hope to find that the audio input at the back of the head unit is also RCA connections - does anyone know if it is? Then I can just put the isolator in line hopefully.

Also I was looking at how to get to the back of the head unit and it doesn't look easy - anyone have any tips on this also??

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Territory

VIC, Australia

Hey Ricey,
I got a Territory as well and actually installed the AUX input myself so sorta know a bit about the wiring (thanks to a member who wrote a tute about making your own AUX input). Basically the AUX input doesn't connect to the back of the head unit per say, it connects to a plug which is wired into the head unit, Grrr.

So in answer to your question, unfortunalty there is no RCA's in the back of Territory head units. Oh, be wary if you try and remove the head unit, there is apparently a mercury switch that breaks if the head unit is tilted a certain angle, which will cost HEAPS to repair. As for when looking for things for the stereo most places don't know anything about the Territory as yet (still too new) however if you mention that the stereo is the same as the BA Falcons they understand a bit more.

My suggestion to your problem is to try and get a noise filter and connect it to the AUX wiring (may kill the hum).

Hope that helps, good luck!

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:40 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks knyght. I installed the ground loop isolator at the DVD player and it didn't make any difference at all.

Do you get a hum in the speakers when you use the AUX input at high volume (above 20)?

Post subject: Aux input noise on territory
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Territory

QLD, Australia

ricey wrote:
Thanks knyght. I installed the ground loop isolator at the DVD player and it didn't make any difference at all.

Do you get a hum in the speakers when you use the AUX input at high volume (above 20)?

Yes I Have had this problem ever since collecting my Territory 3 months back! Apparently it is a known problem I have been told.
I have an iPod that I play through and get frustrated with the hum that rises and falls with the motor revs. It is particularly noticeable when I listen to classical tracks in the higher volume setting (above 20)
I have returned to see if anyone has found a solution to this as Ford have yet to sort out a solution *annoyed*
I have used this forum about six months ago and now have had to create my profile again. The forum has changed a lot from back then? What gives?

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Modified EA-S Falcon

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

usually a engine hum is caused by a bad earthing wire somewhere in the car. It could be off anything and is allowing a resistence thus the positive to negitive flow isn't the same voltage/amps. you could try running direct lines for your deck from the battery terminals for both +'ve and -'ve (remember to fuse the positive 15amp in-line sould do :D ). G-Loop isolators work by balancing the +'ve and -'ve rca lines running from the deck, usually the downside is it drops the output voltage so you need to turn it up more to get the same volume. G-loop isolators dont always work, especially if its a problem with the deck. usually the noise is still there you just cant hear it. Check all the wiring, make sure its not earthing anywhere and try running the individual power lines for the deck(decks if more than one). Also check you have wired in the G-loop properly, it should minimise the noise at the least

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]