Fordmods Logo

Converting Auto to 5spd 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Converting Auto to 5spd
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Posts: 24

Joined: 22nd Dec 2004

Location: Blue Mountains
NSW, Australia

I unfortunately made the mistake of purchasing an auto EL XR8 - although no Ford puchase is a mistake I miss the feel of the manual. Does anyone know what it would take to change over?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 378

Joined: 3rd Dec 2004

Ride: EB V8

Location: Blue Mountains
NSW, Australia

check this link http://www.ford-tech.com/articles.php?articleId=47 & read the instructions to get an idea of the work involved (that pedal box swap is a bastard of a job). i'm currently making enquires of my own as to whether the i6 t5 will fit a v8, but even if you use the v8 t5, i recon the principals will be the same. some issues with the eecv though, fans, starter etc. but they can be resolved.

 

_________________

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

Yeah read up on the mechanical side of things, we can fill you in on the joys of the electronic side of things :wink:

Word on the street says entire dash has to come out for that pedal box :shock:

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Posts: 24

Joined: 22nd Dec 2004

Location: Blue Mountains
NSW, Australia

The Mechanical side seems a lot of work but thats ok, I got a few weeks up my sleeve to play with. I do however need help on the electronic side ie. computers etc and where to get them if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:30 pm 
Site Admin
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 8831

Joined: 18th Dec 2002

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Word on the street says entire dash has to come out for that pedal box :shock:


Yep! Certainly does.

 

_________________

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

benny101 wrote:
The Mechanical side seems a lot of work but thats ok, I got a few weeks up my sleeve to play with. I do however need help on the electronic side ie. computers etc and where to get them if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.


The V8 ECU can be tricked. Have a look thru a thread around here, a recent one, was a lot said about tricking the auto ECU.

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 41

Posts: 3519

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

Location: Ferntree Gully
VIC, Australia

when you decide your ready we can supply the mechanical side of the conversion.
pedals , console insert , box ,bellhousing , flywheel ect.

but the dont come cheap
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:37 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 341

Joined: 9th Nov 2004

Ride: EB XR8

Location: brisbane south
QLD, Australia

As far as i know the i6 and V8 boxes are the same but with different ratios, the V8 has closer ratio's. The boxes fitted to the XR's had a better designed rear bearing and were all full synchro boxes. Dont get a 5spd from an EA or EB1 cause they dont have synchro reverse, Everything from EB2 (i think its august 1992 they began) are full synchro boxes

But thats just my two bobs worth.

 

_________________

New project 5.4l 331ci S380R, 8.2 4.125 Man o war, Billet LAE crank, Jon Kaase Heads, Pauter Rods, JE pistons

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:40 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 43

Posts: 451

Joined: 29th Nov 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR8(EF) & XR8BOSS290 Ute(FG)

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
benny101 wrote:
The Mechanical side seems a lot of work but thats ok, I got a few weeks up my sleeve to play with. I do however need help on the electronic side ie. computers etc and where to get them if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.


The V8 ECU can be tricked. Have a look thru a thread around here, a recent one, was a lot said about tricking the auto ECU.


Good luck with tricking the ecu I tried with no result and ended up having to buy a manual model ecu. The trouble is the auto box computer sends pulse signals to the ecu. :oops:

 

_________________

________________________________________

Better off with not enough traction than not enough power.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:23 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

AXR88U wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:
benny101 wrote:
The Mechanical side seems a lot of work but thats ok, I got a few weeks up my sleeve to play with. I do however need help on the electronic side ie. computers etc and where to get them if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.


The V8 ECU can be tricked. Have a look thru a thread around here, a recent one, was a lot said about tricking the auto ECU.


Good luck with tricking the ecu I tried with no result and ended up having to buy a manual model ecu. The trouble is the auto box computer sends pulse signals to the ecu. :oops:


Yeah i've read one method, posted a link up in another thread. Was quite complex.

I'd like to see if one can leave the TCM in, send some bogus signals to it and then let the TCM tell EEC what it wants to hear.

However im reconsidering the man conversion.... i'd be throwing a considerable amount of torque through it and i'm not convinced the T5 is capable of handling a lot of torque. That, and hardware costs a s**t for the V8...

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:20 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 43

Posts: 1093

Joined: 29th Nov 2004

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

Location: Lower Hunter Valley
NSW, Australia

I did the conversion 2 weeks ago on my ED V8 wagon. I used the I6 T5 and had it modified(imput shaft lengthened, longer front bearing retainer). Bought the bellhousing and flywheel from dellows in Sydney. Bought a GT/XR8 Sprint spec clutch and a clutch cable too.

The pedal box was the hardest bit of the conversion. Its a swine but not impossible. I removed my steering column, handbrake plastic surround and the instrument cluster.

The ECU was successfully fooled thanks to 4.9 EF' efforts in locating me the information. Cost me $1.10 to buy the resistors and 30 mins of my time.

The car is a bullet off the mark and super responsive. Plus I've got myself a unique car as Ford never made them with a manual. Also dont forget to take out the transducer in your auto. Replace it with the one thats in the manual. That way your speedo will read the same as before.

 

_________________

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:58 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names