Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Optimax Extreme 100 Octane
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL GT

NSW, Australia

Hey Lads,
It's been available for over a month now, in Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne not sure where else.
Who's tried it out?
I've ran two full tanks of it and found it to be great for extra go, but i also got about 60-80km's less out of my tank.
I put it down to a mixture of two things.
1. Because i probably gave the right foot more of a workout knowing that i had 100 octane fuel in.
2. Ethanol burns more efficiently (more quickly).

The main reason was probably the heavy foot but i usually get pretty regular fuel usage out of each tank unless i'm on a long trip.

Anyway my opinion is that Bp Ultimate is a better every day fuel. For 6 cents a litre more than Optimax i'll use the Extreme for special ocasions.

Anyone Else? Thoughts...

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

my cars never tasted anything higher than 95

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Meh, Extreme is not that much difference to Optimax I found.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey guys I found a website with some info on the Optimax Extreme
http://www.100octane.com.au

The dyno chart on their looks impressive, and Motec reckon its got some good potential.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

SiMC wrote:

The dyno chart on their looks impressive, and Motec reckon its got some good potential.

cause they are in bed with shell. :roll: :)

I really cant see justifying 6 cents a litre more for 100 octane fuel when 98 is already 10 cents a litre dearer than 91ron fuel.

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

its only $3 more a tank!

Nicko

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

WHERE is this available in melbourne?
I use shell pretty much all the time all over SE melb and have yet to see it. I must either be blind or going to wrong places lol.

You tried it nick; howd it hold up for u?

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey man, all the locations are on the 100octane website. Im pretty sure they will be getting it to more outlets in the future.

NC5ltr, its does not work out to that much more per tank, and its meant to have better economy. According to that site, DJR could lean out mixtures by 8% and still make more power then they did with 98 RON.

Anyway the price of fuel these days is the governments fault more then anyone else.

See link http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=au-en&FC2=/au-en/html/iwgen/shell_for_motorists/petrol_pricing/trends/zzz_lhn.html&FC3=/au-en/html/iwgen/shell_for_motorists/petrol_pricing/trends/long_term_trends_0116.html

What a joke.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:26 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL GT

NSW, Australia

It may be more economical if you tune your engine to suit (ie. Lean the mixture out).
But most daily drivers aren't tuned for race conditions.
I'm gonna stick to the 98 for the time being.
You'd think that since it contains Ethanol they could keep the price down to a similar if not equal level as Optimax. Fact is with all the scare campaigns the media did on Ethanol in fuel, the average Joe driver wouldn't go near a fuel containing Ethanol anyway. So it wouldn't effect Optimax sales.
It's marketed for hoons anyway.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I think the falcons ECU will manage to lean out the mixtures provided the exhaust sensor is still in good nick. Even if it does not lean out enough, you would think it would run as lean as possible.

Anyhow, even with out the lean out a better quality fuel making more torque requires less right foot effort to do the same job. So yeah, it should be economical.

Im running an EA with the EL BBM and a pretty large cam. It tends to ping at around 16deg at low rpm. This stuff might do the trick.

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:30 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

If you got a car that needs the extra octane its great, if not just go with normal premium.
P.S aus fuel is s**t it should be 100 octane standard!

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Oldm8 wrote:
You'd think that since it contains Ethanol they could keep the price down to a similar if not equal level as Optimax. Fact is with all the scare campaigns the media did on Ethanol in fuel, the average Joe driver wouldn't go near a fuel containing Ethanol anyway. So it wouldn't effect Optimax sales.
It's marketed for hoons anyway.

Economies of scale dictate that in the end there will be no cost saving to the end user by running one particular fuel. It's bastardry at its finest and no one can do anything to stop it. Not even the ACCC, they can only slow it down.

Just look at deisel and LPG. The cost difference between Deisel and ULP has started to blow out and will continue to do so as more people make the switch to deisel passenger cars. Once biodeisel makes its way to our shores then all products related to the production of biodeisel will increase in price. Even the fish and chip shop that used to give its old canola oil away will realise that it can sell it to the highest bidder. This will drive the price of biodeisel up higher than regular crap we dig up out of the ground.

Same as LPG. The pricing in terms of LPG and petrol is almost on part. is not quite there yet but its not all that far off. I'll give it 2 to 4 years before there is no advantage what so ever between LPG and ULP.

Oh and ethanol fuels. Their pricing is already f**k. United servo's allready sell boost 98 for more than their brand 95. EVEN THOUGH ITS CHEAPER TO PRODUCE. And its only E10 based on 95 RON fuel. They realise that people will get sucked into the fact that E10 can make more power (but they don't realise they have to adjust their timing and fuel delivery to suit). Shell are doing the same with optimax extreme. I've heard that its 10C a litre more expensive than pure optimax but it is cheaper to make. Sex sells and now performance does as well. even old mildred who drives a stock automatic excell will line up at the bowser thinking that she will get a whole heap of power (whoa hold your horses an extrra 2 KW at the flywheel) from using this fuel and that could mean that she might get to the bowling green on sundays just that bit quicker. If she wanted balls she should have at least got a better car. The public are pure suckers that are getting raped by the marketing machine and the pricing policy of the oil companies.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

NC 5ltr wrote:
SiMC wrote:

cause they are in bed with shell. :roll: :)

I really cant see justifying 6 cents a litre more for 100 octane fuel when 98 is already 10 cents a litre dearer than 91ron fuel.
weeeeell i thought these sluggers where built for unleaded crap 88-92 ron and run well,94-96 ron better but $$$$$$ but money is power-how much?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]