Legal engine capacities NSW RTA formula 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Legal engine capacities NSW RTA formula
Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

Just thought it may be a piece of useful info for someone out there planning on upsizing inches
GVMx 4.82 will give you yhe maximum CC's you can install into a motor vehicle without upgrading chassis, brakes, etc
NOTE: an engineer report is still required if an engine is being fitted that wasn't available as original equipment or option
So how the f$#k are these X series falcons getting 460's passed in n.s.w, in CUI they max out at 426''? :?:

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Maybe because it is GVM not kerb weight, and who is to say they are really legal?

I drive illegal registered vehicles every day and even the RTA has seen them, I think a few $$ thrown their way is all you need, the F3's Mooney Mooney bridge accident is good enough proof.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Damage wrote:
Maybe because it is GVM not kerb weight, and who is to say they are really legal?

I drive illegal registered vehicles every day and even the RTA has seen them, I think a few $$ thrown their way is all you need, the F3's Mooney Mooney bridge accident is good enough proof.

its just that i've seen a couple of XD/E falcons 4 sale street registered, with 460 engines, and advertised as street legal with engineer reports, but when I enquired about putting a 460 into an XE the RTA engineer yold me NO HOPE because the max weight of the series was 1430kg (air cond,power steer/windows-seats,mirrors 351, FMX).
The only reason I wanted to go BIG is it could be stroked to 512cui, and I was hoping to build a 10sec car that could be driven occasionally(no nos/blower), but f#@! them I will use my 412 clevo and put out more emmisions than 25 VZ monaro's

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

kenny wrote:
I enquired about putting a 460 into an XE the RTA engineer yold me NO HOPE because the max weight of the series was 1430kg (air cond,power steer/windows-seats,mirrors 351, FMX).

Wish that was true, my XD Fairmont, aircon pump missing, 302C, C4, factory towbar (tongue removed), 15" Snowflakes (205/65) fitted, no spare, nothing in car, standard seats, pwr steer, no pwr windows, very little fuel weighs 1520kgs, I wanted less than 1510kgs for $90 cheaper rego a year, when I said I will come back with the towbar removed the bloke just signed 1500Kg :lol: (he didn't want to do it again)

Air cond, pwr windows-seats,mirrors, FMX is an easy over 100kgs extra when combined, FMX is s**t heavier than a C4, it is bigger and made of cast iron.

1430Kg would be one of the lightest base Falcons.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

My XF ghia has a GVM of 1440. It all depends on the engineer. That formula applies for stock chassis and brakes. If you were to brace your chassis and fit some decent brakes then its a different ballgame altogether.

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
My XF ghia has a GVM of 1440. It all depends on the engineer. That formula applies for stock chassis and brakes. If you were to brace your chassis and fit some decent brakes then its a different ballgame altogether.

Yeah exactly, upgrading of brakes in particular allows larger capacity engines. Chassis mods may also be required but not often as far as I have seen.

kenny wrote:
but f#@! them I will use my 412 clevo and put out more emmisions than 25 VZ monaro's

How do you plan to get it past emissions testing then, that is often harder to pass than engineering, especially with large cube engines.

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XD wagon V8, Suzuki SV650S

ACT, Australia

best way to get past emmissions is to run on gas... have a duel fuel set up, and onced passed emissions take the gas off. there are more then one way to skin a cat :twisted:

Why lord why? Why does every d**k head in a datsun wanna race me??? don't they know i don't like hurting there feelings??

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The last time I asked my engineer this was about 10 months ago when i was thinking of a 429 powered XF on straight LPG with minitubs I never got a reply from him. I don't know if its because I didn't pay him up front for the advice or what but that p****d me off bad.

I suppose these new RRS front end products might help but the car will be lighter but stronger in the front end.

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

how do you plan to get it past emissions testing then, that is often harder to pass than engineering, especially with large cube engines.[/quote]
Last time I had my XE passed it had 581fwhp,a single rail modified with straight cut gears & a full spool 9'', mind you its not on the road anymore due to the body not being able to be tortured the way it was, but I do have another donor shell!
But all I done for the rego check was retard the timing, take off the 1050 carb & replace it with a 600 vac holley (which took s**t of work to get an idle by drilling 1/8'' bleed holes in the butterflies and remove Idle feed restrictions) and last af all used a 2'' restricted engine pipe from the collectors to keep it quiet"er" .Then took it to a mechanic late on a friday arvo for the pink slip, who took it for a drive , came back & told me i'd better start thinking about getting a new engine as this one is sounds a little sick.
I wonder if he knew?????

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
The last time I asked my engineer this was about 10 months ago when i was thinking of a 429 powered XF on straight LPG with minitubs I never got a reply from him. I don't know if its because I didn't pay him up front for the advice or what but that p****d me off bad.

I suppose these new RRS front end products might help but the car will be lighter but stronger in the front end.

If you see the right bloke he will OK the change, as the limit is aprox 426 or so '' ,as for minitubs OK as long as you dont interfere with the chassis, the problem I had with the XE was the coil springs at the back ,even by using coil overs on the custom 9'' it didn't allow much more room back there without ladder bars or a 4 link ,so I went out as well, comfortably housing 305-50-15 yoka's on 12'' simmons(it looked like d**k johnson's green machine!)

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

What about moving the coil overs to the inside of the rails. then you can fit 315's on the back.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
What about moving the coil overs to the inside of the rails. then you can fit 315's on the back.

Who makes 315's?,By moving the coilovers to the inside wouldn't have made much difference as the chassis was the next thing I would have hit, I have a new shell so I will look deeper into it this time, maybe tubbing it ?. I ran 345/50/15 on my XB GT coupe but yokahama no longer make them, BF Goodrich only go up to 305's now. I ran some Road Hugger 275's when I first built my XE but they were too narrow for the 12'' rims, I gotta admit they are very sticky rubber, so sticky I found that my driveline wasn't up to the task ,I broke 31 spline axles like they were borg warner 25ers so I upgraded to billet Moser's, next was uni joints so I installed federal mogul steel units, then finally the box a HO close ratio top loader 31 spline twisted input shaft & colapsed input bearing. Not to mention the Domminator 3500 stall blowing up after 2 weeks with an FMX which seemed to handle what I had (I think anyway!)
10.91 @ 126mph with 275/70/15s street tyres (well sorta, street/strip)
the rest of the passes were 11-11.5 with massive wheelspin.
this XE only weighed 1250kg thanks to composite panels
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Aren't 12.5" wide Mickey T's considered as 315's cause 1" is 24.5mm.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Aren't 12.5" wide Mickey T's considered as 315's cause 1" is 24.5mm.

1''=25.4mm but yeah they would be around 315's but I believe they are the same tread size as the 295/305's 10'' ,no point minitubbing her for bigger (wider) sidewalls.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]