Power from Auto EL XR8 

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: NL 347, Landau

SA, Australia

kenny wrote:
I only installed a resistor loop to my IATS (intake air temp sensor)today & I found an easy 15hp for only $15,this tells the ECU the incomming air is 0 degrees c ,therefore more dense and more air in the cylinders so the ECU compensates this by enrichening the mixture. To take total advantage of this mod install H.E.G.O mods to tell the ECU that too much oxygen is passing thru the exhaust (lean mixture) so it also fools the standard ECU into enrichening the mix
This is all you get when installing a chip but you must be careful not to over fuel the engine (keep monitoring you're plugs if not done on a dyno)

Interesting Kenny - Most 5.0 Windsors I have seen on the dyno in standard form have been a little rich to start with - adding more fuel and going away from the stoichometric air/fuel ratio will lose power - not gain it. More power is produced from leaning out your air/fuel ratio but this adds heat and promotes predetonation so normally you find a safe level that compromises power and longivity.
Shane

Weapons of choice
1998 NL Fairlane by Tickford 033
1996 NL Fairlane Ghia 347
1992 NC Fairlane Ghia 5.0
1974 Landau
1974 LTD

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

MrLandau wrote:
kenny wrote:
I only installed a resistor loop to my IATS (intake air temp sensor)today & I found an easy 15hp for only $15,this tells the ECU the incomming air is 0 degrees c ,therefore more dense and more air in the cylinders so the ECU compensates this by enrichening the mixture. To take total advantage of this mod install H.E.G.O mods to tell the ECU that too much oxygen is passing thru the exhaust (lean mixture) so it also fools the standard ECU into enrichening the mix
This is all you get when installing a chip but you must be careful not to over fuel the engine (keep monitoring you're plugs if not done on a dyno)

Interesting Kenny - Most 5.0 Windsors I have seen on the dyno in standard form have been a little rich to start with - adding more fuel and going away from the stoichometric air/fuel ratio will lose power - not gain it. More power is produced from leaning out your air/fuel ratio but this adds heat and promotes predetonation so normally you find a safe level that compromises power and longivity.
Shane

According to my HEGO'S the voltage was down to 0.2 volts before the mod, but now they're running at 0.4 volts so I will not "play" with the sensors now ,but since installing the resistor loop I find the car will easily wheelspin into 3rd gear in the wet (which we experienced today!)where before it would barely spin from 1st to 2nd. You should have seen my plugs before they were running so lean they were white (not the wrong heat range of plug either) according to the self test there are no faulty sensors either, so I'll stick with this mod as I am without doubt that I made power gains.
I found that in clevo's once you go richer than 13:1 thats when power starts dropping
P.S the resistor also advances the timing quicker to max advance ,maybe that is what I feel?

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

kenny wrote:
According to my HEGO'S the voltage was down to 0.2 volts before the mod, but now they're running at 0.4 volts so I will not "play" with the sensors now ,but since installing the resistor loop I find the car will easily wheelspin into 3rd gear in the wet (which we experienced today!)where before it would barely spin from 1st to 2nd. You should have seen my plugs before they were running so lean they were white (not the wrong heat range of plug either) according to the self test there are no faulty sensors either, so I'll stick with this mod as I am without doubt that I made power gains.
I found that in clevo's once you go richer than 13:1 thats when power starts dropping
P.S the resistor also advances the timing quicker to max advance ,maybe that is what I feel?

This method has been done for a while now with wildly mixed results. Without a lot of testing there is no way you will get it correct because there are many other factors involved than just the HEGO and ACT sensors. Unless you get it spot on the EEC will learn its way around the mods you are doing. There are also a large number of cases of, in particular head gasket failures and other damage to the engine caused by this type of mod.

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:49 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

I went with TFS heads and 1.7 rockers with a 73mm MAF and underdrive pullies and a dual 2 1/4" cat back exhaust.

EL2 XR8 Auto 13.64 @ 100.76 MPH with a 2.05 60ft. Now sold!

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Trick Flow EL wrote:
I went with TFS heads and 1.7 rockers with a 73mm MAF and underdrive pullies and a dual 2 1/4" cat back exhaust.

What inlet and extractors??? TFSEL...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:54 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

Stock EL2 explorer inlet and headers.
I used to have the TFS street manifold but swapped it back to the explorer for insurance reasons and got my low down torque back.

EL2 XR8 Auto 13.64 @ 100.76 MPH with a 2.05 60ft. Now sold!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2