Damn power steering belts 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Damn power steering belts
Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I have a very unfortunate problem as whenever i take my car above 4000rpm my power steering belt decides to twist itself right off the pump and end up sitting somewhere else in the engine bay turned inside out. Sometimes it even gets split down the middle. That problem never happened before but only the last cuple of months after my mechanic changed my power steering pump over to an XE pump. Well that's whet he told me I now have. I thought that XD to XF p/s pumps were the same but my new pump has a slightly narrower pully and I had to cut a fair bit out of the bracket just so I could moove the pump enough to fit the belt. What's the go with that? i think i may have an EA/ED pump in there. This problem is s**t me so much that i have considered fitting a manual steering box in there and pissing off the power steering altogether. At least I get some free hp out of it then.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: LTD

ACT, Australia

if you are throwing belts, then it is most likely that the pulleys arent aligned properly, so thats what i would be checking, remember having to put a few washers in to space my power steer on my XF after the belt fell off one time, was good after that

Dan

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XD wagon V8, Suzuki SV650S

ACT, Australia

nah stuff the powersteer, manual steering box all the way :twisted:

Why lord why? Why does every d**k head in a datsun wanna race me??? don't they know i don't like hurting there feelings??

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XD 351, FG Ute

NT, Australia

yeah pulley's aren't lined up xf pump's are diff to xd/xe

WINNER:
Best modified car 1980 - 1989 Shannons show and shine 2006
Best XD-XH Darwin All Ford Day 2011

There is no substitute for cubic inches :twisted:

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

look at the angle of the belt, is it on the pump straight or is it on a slight angle.
dosen't take much to throw a belt.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

It looks pretty straight but when I rev the car you can actually see the belt climb up the pulley then bang. It just twists itself off and ends up on the other side of the engine bay. My mechanic used a narrower belt and for a few months it seemed fine it but now its just like before. I'll try some washers and if that don't work I'll go the manuall steering box. I was suprised how easy it would light up the bags when the belt got thrown off. Theres got to be atleast 5 or 10 hp in it just from the aircon and power steering.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If the V pulley used on the power steer (or anything else for that matter) uses a narrow V (11mm) and the crankshaft pulley is wider (13mm) you will always have some grief, either the belt runs high on the V, causing higher wear and higher chance of coming off, or the belt runs deep in the other pulley causing high wear.

It is also harder to line up two different size V pulleys, lining up requires centre of the Vs to be lined up, not just both outer or inner sides.

Best thing to do is take the pump off, and get your old pump pulley machined to fit, it is a common thing to do when using XF (11mm V belt) onwards type pumps on a V8.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:40 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I had the same issues 30+ belts latter, $2100 gone and I found the issue. I dedicated dyno time to sort mine but it didn't help. In the end I replaced the alternator and the issue was gone. Went from the stock 35amp to a 85amp.

Make sure you bolt for the alternator (the one that mounts it to the head) isn't slightly bent. It's common for people to jam something in there to tighten the belt. Yup, it tightens the belt alright but it bends the bolt which puts belt alignment out.

Brenden

XB Fairmont sedan 11.07@123.02mph

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

My alternator sits square. Its just my power sterring. Its so f**k that I fitted a new idler arm for rego and when the belt come off I lost my power sterring. By the time i managed to drive it home I had f**k the rubber bushing in my idler arm from fluid pressure in the system so this has cost me atleast 50 bucks in parts and god knows how much in labor. I'm just going to drive it casual for now and save up for an RRS non power rack and pinion setup. That's if I still have the car by then.

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: xf wagon

VIC, Australia

tell your mechanic to get f#@ked a fit a
pump off a xf and to stick his xe pump up
his a***. then see if it still throws belts.
if its his f#@k up he can pay for it to!!!!

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xd fairmont

NSW, Australia

i made a pump pulley for my car that fits a larger belt and has high sides and it hasnt happened since

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]