Fordmods Logo

legal/illegal?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: legal/illegal??
Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB XR8

NSW, Australia

i didnt exactly know what forum to place this topic in but never the less... i was just curios as to the legalities of car ride height front and back...i'd love to be sure of the law in times of need. cheers

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Depends where you live, but you need 100mm of clearnace from the lowest part of your car, generally the exhaust. Nothing is allowed to protrude below the height of your rims, except for fleible mudlfaps in the event of a tyre blowout. You also need either 2/3 or 3/4 of your original suspension travel.

generally, superlows are considered low enough for most people, and even these will get you scraping everything in sight. Superlows in most brands are between 45 and 60mm lower than standard. What sort of car do you have?

Edit: Silly question, an EBxr8 8-)

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB XR8

NSW, Australia

i have an EB xr8, its been lowered, not by me, so that the back end sits roughly level with the front end. it scrapes slightly on some speed bumps. as a P plater i asked this question so i would know my rights when the pigs pull me over and give it the once over.

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:56 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

I've got whiteline superlows all round. perfectly legal. And scraping isn't MUCH of a problem, it does happen. But only if I'm not paying enough attention.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

my ea had superlows on it. It was still legal although for me (living in country NSW) scraping was a problem at times.

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

I'd recomment having a look at your states transport office website. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/ for NSW.

But Andrew J was correct to the best of my knowledge. 100mm minimum ground clearence, and must maintain 2/3 original suspension travel. The real catch is its ment to be 100mm minimum ground clearence with 4 adult passengers and a full tank of fuel.

I have exactally 100mm ground clearence with no on in my car, So I could be screwed. I have Kings Superlows all around.

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

ebxr8 said:

have an EB xr8, its been lowered, not by me, so that the back end sits roughly level with the front end. it scrapes slightly on some speed bumps. as a P plater i asked this question so i would know my rights when the pigs pull me over and give it the once over.

Dont do that, fastest way to get a redneck cop to give you a hard time. Just explain that you have recently got your P-plates and as your first car you wanted something cool. The previous owner was a mechanic/cop/politician/soldier hence being the prudent (and hard working) bloke you are you were sure it was a safe bet. Will get it checked asap.
Thank him for his good community work, apologize again and wave him goodbye.

Not lost any demerit points

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

hornet wrote:
The real catch is its ment to be 100mm minimum ground clearence with 4 adult passengers and a full tank of fuel.

I have exactally 100mm ground clearence with no on in my car, So I could be screwed. I have Kings Superlows all around.

s**t... i think i'll be in the same boat as you! mine is 110mm with NO weight in it! :shock:

R.I.P. Scotty

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]