Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
EBXR8380 wrote:
www.turbomustangs.com

Thats an excellent site! But im jealous of the room they have in front of their 8's! Stupid americans :P

Hahah yes i can hardly shut my bonnet, had to install MSD inside due to no space...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

chr!s wrote:
CHEF wrote:
If your ready to part with 2 grand for a cheap dodgy setup that will maybe push 150k@w, you would be better off keeping it NA and and spending 2grand on the usual stuff, that way you would have a reliable 150kw not a motor on the verge of detonation 99% of the time.

Fact is that turbo's are serious stuff that can easilly destroy a motor if you dont do it right... and doing it right costs alot

Just because it is cheap doesnt mean it is dodgy. why would it be on the verge of detonation 99% of the time? 5psi isnt much... just because i dont want huge power doesnt mean im going to do it dodgy.

small power increase = no intercooler ?(saving), standard computer retained (saving), average turbo (saving)... non of this is dodgy but just gonna acheive massive power from it. a low 14 second car is definately fast enough for me.

OK, translation time :)

Without any form of intercooling, ie FMIC, water injecton, ect you WILL get serious detonation starting at anything over 3psi... and thats with a any turbo, small or large. What you would be doing here is feeding the engin air temps of around 90deg which causes detonation, second cause is the stock computers ignition curve... this needs to retard dramtically under boost without intercooling.

Next is your fuel supply... the standard injectors wont handle over a few psi so replace them, luckily magna injectors can flow enough to JUST cope with a few psi, so grab a set from a wreckers ( and hope they are in good cond). Fuel pump is also a restriction but you could always hook up another pump inline to save you the cost of buying a larger unit.

VG30 turbos work well, but due to the size of there exhaust housing you will restrict top end power and all your power will be very low in the rev range, so you will constantly on boost and hitting the turbo's limits at around 4000rpm ( some like this, others dont)

Dodgy?? What I meant was a motor detonating was dodgy, not the fact you would fabricate all the work yourself... I too fabricate all my own stuff at home to save $$.

I know it would be great to do a turbo install for a few grand but you have to look at these things with an open mind and except other poeples opinons as some of us here have being playing with turbos for years and have tried all the short cuts and know what the results are

I myself, am not interested in a mild turbo set up to do 14s, thats NA stuff, but I do like to share any knowledge I have to others so as to help them avoid wasting money, Because if you know what your doing and DIY most of it you can have ALOT of power without spending silly money.

Can I recomend to you, that if 150kw@wheels is all you are after then spend the 2grand on the NA motor, but if your starting point is 2grand and you want a bit more power down the track you shouldnt skimp on the basics... Intercooler, Lge turbo (T04 size)and fuel system.
Break it down like this...
400 used RX7 turbo
350 intercooler
250 mild steel bends (weld yourself) you need around 6 bends @ $20 a bend, plus hose joiners,clamps... you may do all this for $150 too
100(?) magna injs
100 used pump
50 boost gauge u need this!
150 dump pipe
60 turbo flange (DIY mount it on the manifold)
AND whatever it costs you to "chip" the ecu or get a used ecu (wolf, MT ect) for around 400 plus tuning, plus there will be extra stuf such at oil lines but they can be sorted for buger all if you look around and DIY

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

geez thanks chef.

man, thats like the best advice ive got off these forums since ive been here. thanks for putting the time into replying.

im not sure how much i want to spend yet so NA might be the way to go.

thanks again - ive learnt heaps form this thread etc.

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thats cool, glad to help dude.

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Two VG30 T turbo's would be o/k though...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

indeed they would... Zoom style

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EA Turbo

VIC, Australia

I don't think i saw much change from 10k....to do it properly. I'm still only running 9psi, but i'm fairly confident that the engine will stay in one piece....just a pitty i'm not that confident with the driveline yet...lol

EA Falcon S Sprint
Snort Performance Custom Turbo Setup
340rwkw on 13psi...tuned by CVE

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Its all the small things that count, like coolant hoses for your turbo, getting the sump tapped, oil hoses, heat shielding, filter and pipe, stuff like that
They can easily push you over your budget, and must be accounted for.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

heres a cheaper way to get 150 rwkw without turbos (good for insurance)

my car should make around 146rwkw (near enough to 150) when im finished. This is what i have done

tickford snorkel $32
bmc air filter $120
wade 1004-14 cam $122
shims for wade cam $130 (approx)
pacemaker ph4480 headers $410
2.5" exhaust (dont know price, came with car, well say $500)
chiptorque HP4 ecu chip - $595

all up this comes to bout $1900 - $2000 and will give you a fair kick in the a*** when u boot it. combine this with a good LSD/Diff Ratio, you'll have some fun.

this setup made a dyno proven 146rwkw on my mates old EF 6 and i have the extact same setup now, just havnt put the chip in.

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

You can get a full proper turbo kit, professionally installed. Running like ~7psi, for around $5000 at TSA.

http://www.gasresearchpc.com.au/

Personally I'd work on drivetrain, suspension, brakes, looks, and some minor NA work. Don't worry about extractors if you plan on going a turbo. Then when you do get the turbo, your car will look hot, handle & control the power, and will go hard. It will give you about 180rwkw.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2