Fordmods Logo

Shift Kits 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Shift Kits
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

I know this topic has been covered numerous times. I am looking to put a shift kit in my EL XR8 but unsure if it will wear out my transmission. I have looked on numerous sites and there are mixed responses. Any input or info you guys would care to pass on?

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Theory suggests reduced wear on transmission as less heat-causing slippage between gears.

Reality suggests much harsher on uni joints/diff. Fit a switchable version, dont use it too often and you'll be fine. Im putting about 250fwkw through standard transmission and drivetrain - I dont use the shift kit very often but feels fine when i do.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Im looking at both the stage 2 and fully adjustable on shiftkits.com.au. Any suggestions which may be better? Im leaning towards the fully adjustable but both come with the switch.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I just made one myself, an on/off version. Stage 2 simply has an intermediate setting as well as the 100% firm shift.

I'd go for the adjustable, just to i could mount the dial somewhere :wink: I like dials.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Are they easy to install? Thanks for your help - nothing puts a bigger smile on my face than to see Ford fans help each other out...I bet the Holden people arent as supportive!

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

benny101 wrote:
Thanks for your help - nothing puts a bigger smile on my face than to see Ford fans help each other out...I bet the Holden people arent as supportive!

No sweat, that's what we're all here for!! Altho not much Ford-related chit chat at the moment, lol.

Yeah they're a breeze to install. Even easier on the V8 actually. The kit will come with instructions, but if you wanna get a head start...

You'll be tapping into the transmission control module (TCM) which sits just under the dash. If you're sitting in the driver's seat, look above your left knee and there's a box there with two looms going into it. I say easier for the V8 because the 6cyl crown needs to access the ECM to do this.

Basically you'll be cutting one wire and stripping insulation from another. The kit will have 3 wires that connect to the TCM - 1 on either side of the wire you'll be cutting (so, 2) and one will splice to the wire you remove the insulation from.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

You may also want to consider an adjustable S5 solenoid (like an AU or aftermarket one) instead of the electronic mod. It electronic mod tries to do the same job as the adjustable one (when you turn the line pressure up) but is less harsh on the drivetrain IMO. When normally cruising you can hardly tell the trans has been modified but when you floor it it shifts nice and firmly, and you can adjust that firmness. It does cost more though and you probably need a trans place to install it.

As for the wear issue, the shift kits will reduce wear because slippage and heat are reduced. But if the trans is getting a bit old, the shift kit seems to speed up its death.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Sprint/Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey Guys

Also looking to shift my ED Sprint but can seem to get hold of a pinout for the V8TCM

Was reading up on the electronic shift kits and was tossing up the idea of making an adjustable one, or if it is possible - has this already been done..?

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

There was an article on autospeed that had a shift kit that turned itself on automatically. It sensed the change from the Throttle Position Sensor and if it was above a certain rate it turned on the shift kit for 30 seconds. If you then backed off it would turn off, but if you started acceleratng hard within that 30 seconds it would reset the timer. You could use this, and a swich for turning it off altogether, and it would be sweet.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:47 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon MkII

WA, Australia

dpb06 wrote:
Hey Guys

Also looking to shift my ED Sprint but can seem to get hold of a pinout for the V8TCM

Was reading up on the electronic shift kits and was tossing up the idea of making an adjustable one, or if it is possible - has this already been done..?

Go to www.shiftkits.com.au

Kel.
BHR
A/MD 1272
240 inch Dragster
466 Big Block Ford
650hp
8.40 @ 156mph (251kph)

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

dpb06 wrote:
Hey Guys

PM me with your email adress and i can email you the pinout diagram.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]