Fordmods Logo

supercharger?????? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: supercharger??????
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:47 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: fairmont ghia

WA, Australia

as my car is cureently getting a full rebuild the mechanic is pushing me towards a supercharged setup. can u tell me what is the diff between a powerdyn supercharger and a vortech supercharger also i am wonting to do a intercooled setup so i can get some serious power! is this possible for both or just the vortech?? as it is at the wheels the mechanic is ashoring its putting out about 240-250hp what power gain will i get with the supercharger??

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Ok the main difference is the powerdyne has a belt drive inside it for the RPM step up. A Vortech has gear sets which must be provided with an oil feed from the sump.

A powerdyne can only make so much boost as its internals are rated at 39,000rpm. This is the blower i'm running.

A vortech can spin as fast as you want providing you can get the belts to grip the pulleys. They also have a variety of compressor blades which can produce more boost than the powerdyne.

Can run intercooler on both but really no point with a powerdyne. They dont make that much boost (max prolly 8psi on std motor) and as there's no engine oil being fed into it, the air charge tends to be fairly cool. PD is good for standard engine but if its worked you'll need a vortech to make worthwhile boost.

The cool thing about the chargers is the effect on all types of engine. Torque is massively increased across the entire range so you dont need to build the engine to rev like a mofo.

If you have 150hp at the wheels (lets say 170kw) sounds like its been tickeld a fair bit. Go a vortech at 10psi and expect 300+ hp at the wheels. They tend to be fairly thirsty so you need a good fuel system.

But tuning is the key for forced induction. Any detoanation whilst under boost can destroy an engine very quickly.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:52 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

yeah i was leading towards the vortech and doing a intercooled setup.. i was reading the jim mock motorsport ef xr6 thats making 400hp at the wheels with a intercooled pd charger but its gear driven apartly some special one?? i am making about 240-250hp at the wheels already about 190kw i think it was estiamted.. tuning is no problem as the person who is installing my computer also tunees the el xr6 spercharged with a whipper charger that runs massive power not sure on the output but i know it runs in 10-11sec braket now pretyy sure easily... dose anyone know what the capa kit includes for the vortech kit thats $7995 on the site??

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Yeah - it comes with everything you need. Its not intercooled from what i recall. My PD kit was from CAPA.

Charger, brackets, belts etc. injectors i think, computer chip etc.

If i were you i would call them and tell them what you've already got. You'll be able to knock a bit off the price as you already have an ECU, you wont need the rising rate fuel regulator if you have good injectors, an adjustable reg and tunable ECU.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:57 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

kool thanks for the info dude!

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Get a hold of Zoom issue no.83... a few issues back i think. Its got an article on a supercharged cortina in it

ED XR6 motor, stock internals
Vortech T-trim supercharger
custom inlet manifold
600cc injectors
EMS dualsport ecu
bosch GT3 fuel pump
FMIC

230kw@wheels at .48bar (on V&E Rigoli's Dyno)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]