Fordmods Logo

BBM install into a EB/ED Anyone got any doco's? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: BBM install into a EB/ED Anyone got any doco's?
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

Okay ... Looking at doing a BBM install on an ED and a EB falcon

What I need to know!

The fuel rail pipes? .. they need to be changed right? ..
And also, you need to run extra wires from the ECU .. if using EEC-4

can anyone give me any more details, or does anyone have a doco about how do this conversion? ..

Also, I know you need the accel cable & cruise cable from an EF/EL ..

What else is needed? ..

Thanks!
Antony.

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I can't answer much, except for the fuel rail. The fuel rail is the same, no change, its the fuel regulator that you have to change as far as Im concerned. With the rest of it, Im sure there was some Doco's floating around the web...

Post up your results, Ive been considering this mod myself.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

You will have to change the fuel rail as the BBM rail has the fuel reg bolted to the back of it as opposed to the earlier E series ones that suspended the reg out towards the intake runners. I dont think that you can run the BBM vaccuume control module off an EECIV so you would need to hook up a RPM switch to change the runner length at the desired RPM. Ford do this at about 3800RPM but you may want to change this (this would be to little benifit cause ford spent big bucks developing this system) Also spark advance changes slightly when the runners change length due to better VE so you may need to run a piggy back chip to simulate these characteristics, or run a EECV ECU and harness instead.

Wheres Neil 101 when you need him???? :roll: :wink:

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Jaysen: do you have any further information on what exactly needs to be done for a BBM install?

I want to install one also, but once it's bolted on, I'll be completely lot, as I know nothing about the wiring.

There used to be a doco on FordMods, I'm sure of it. Anyone know who posted it?

--Striker.

Vice President, [url]FastFords.org[/url] Car Club.

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:15 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Jaysen wrote:
You will have to change the fuel rail as the BBM rail has the fuel reg bolted to the back of it as opposed to the earlier E series ones that suspended the reg out towards the intake runners.

I stand corrected. I knew it had something to do with the reg. Jaysen, you sound like you've done this mod? any gains? benefits? worth the money?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

I wouldnt be so sure about the intake runners after the trouble SVO XR6( I think) is having. He apparently made more power when they werent changing, than what he did when they were operational. If this is true, one would really have to wonder about how good the BBM manifold is.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:31 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
I wouldnt be so sure about the intake runners after the trouble SVO XR6( I think) is having. He apparently made more power when they werent changing, than what he did when they were operational. If this is true, one would really have to wonder about how good the BBM manifold is.

Yet alot of people seem to do this mod, but only for NA cars? I heard ED manifold is the best for forced induction setup?

Strange, about the first part that is... lots of people do mod, when its not that good? it costs quite a bit of money.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:03 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

From what I am aware, the BBM does not do much for topend power (a kilowatt or two, by all reports). Its sole purpose is increasing torque.

As for it being an expensive mod, I picked up a BBM (including fuel rail and loom) for $100.

There's not terribly much left to buy (EL airbox, intake piping, RPM switch), so I don't consider it to be a terribly expensive modification.

I ran my 3.9l EB1 MPFI on the dyno, and with my stage 2 cam got 359nm. Two close to stock EFs ran, and got 450nm and 470nm each.

--Striker.

Vice President, [url]FastFords.org[/url] Car Club.

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I knew about the torque... what I didn't know was how cheap they go for...lol... definately considering now.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Righto - Couple of things.

Need BBM, also need fuel rail. Injectors same. Need to modify wiring to accomodate BBM Throttle body and ISC as the EB/D one hits the bonnet (apparently).

Need the BBM Vacuum switch also.

To Switch BBM - get the new Jaycar RPM based switch - not expensive and will switch reliably at RPMs. Tune it to switch around the 3250 - 3750 mark (seems the more mods the more your gonna want to get closer to 3750.

If you want to go from there, look at getting an EL ECU which could switch the BBM and can also control a set of thermo fans. The EL ECU has dual-maps - for the BBM states. The EL ECU can also use a knock sensor so your timing may be better. There are a few other things to look at here as well including that you may need to alter your base ignition timing as per EL specs.

Cheers

Nigel

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Is it possible to run the ED ECU, & loom, By moving the wiring from the ED intake, and putting into an BBM? ... I know this will need some splicing some wirings and stuff ... and then run the jaycar RPM switch, and tapping extra wires into the ED ecu? .

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

the best way to go is definitely using the EL ECU, and then as stated you have the advantage of thermofan control :)

BOOSTED

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ch0c0 wrote:
the best way to go is definitely using the EL ECU, and then as stated you have the advantage of thermofan control :)

Already have thermo fan control, aftermarket, wanna get it going without an EL ecu, got everything but that, I know its been done with an ED ecu before, just gotta pick someones brains who done it .

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]