exhaust mods 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: exhaust mods
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA

QLD, Australia

When a vehicle is built to run unleaded fuel, the exhaust system must be retained as close to manufacturers specifications as possible.

This includes the number and type of mufflers.

Any variation from this requirement must then be certified by an RTA Approved Engineer.

If you have any other enquiries, don't hesitate to reply or contact Technical Enquiries on 1300 137 302.

Regards

Colin Lambert

Technical Enquiries Officer

this is a reply from the rta about replaceing the resonator with a straight piece of pipe. it can be a hotdog or another resonator,but there has to be something,,so be carefull people and just hope you never need to go over the pits..

NO ONE DIES A VIRGIN AS LIFE SCREWS US ALL

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:30 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

mm went over the pits with a straight peice of pipe where the rear resonator goes... nothign was said at all

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

That'd mean that most sports exhausts are illegal aswell. It wouldn't worry me though, I doubt anyone'd give you any problems.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i've done a bit more research..

most inspection stations are suppose to fail vehicles with modified exhaust systems,ie with bits missing that should be there,so they are actually breaking the law by allowing them on the road,,because if your in an accident and the rta attend and notice your exhaust does not have what it's suppose to they'll fine ya for it..and it could f**k your insurance,,

so long as you have a system as close as possible to the original you'll be fine

ie: catalytic converter,,front resonator of some sort,,main muffler and rear resonator of some sort.

exhaust shops telling you that you can replace resonators with straight pipe are making you break the law..which is what i was told by the two work shops i went to..cause they said they can do it but won't as it is illegal..

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

You have to wonder tho - what kind of response you'd get from a different officer of the RTA....

He's probably right but as frank has shown - the consistency of application is.... questionable.

Would be interesting to see which part of the vehicle standards this is based on!! Nothing beats having something in black and white.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

4.9 your right.

i contacted the head of the rta technical service and that was the response i got..(not allowed)but as he said if it is inspected and approved then all should be ok..but in saying that if it is the design rules being applied then even the rta can't approve the modification as ford has the patent on the design and only ford can change it..hhmmm

you can't remove the cat so why should it be ok to remove the resonator ?

they are there for a reason..but as you said one has to wonder about the applicatiion of the law and the rules as one will be ok but another won't..makes you wonder some times..

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

I see the logic in requiring a cat - obvious emmissions issue. But if the noise of the overall system is within ADR dB levels, i dont see why a resonator is required....

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

just rang another technical advisory service and the removal of exhaust parts is illegal and you can be fined quite heavely :shock: ,,simply because of noise pollution, :cry: ,yep noise,if you remove any part of the exhaust system there by increasing the noise output at the tail pipe your car is then classified unroad worthy and should be taken off the road and fixed.

the front resonator removes the high pitch noises and the rear one lessons the real low bass tones.

it's can be a fine of up to 10 000 dollars :shock:

so long as what ever you take out is replaced with something designed to do the same thing all is good and you should ok. 8-)

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 96 EF Futura

QLD, Australia

unlucky nsw lol im quiet sure in qld aslong as its less then 98db and has a cat converter its fine, oh and it must go on a certain distance past the last opening window.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yeah i know about the open window,,thats because of fumes..

what i forgot to say was the reason most get away with removing bits from the exhaust is because most inspection stations don't have the noise meter and there fore can't check it.and those that do have the meter can't be bothered.

so thats why most with modified exhaust still have their cars on the road.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA GT

WA, Australia

what exhaust systems is every 1 running?

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

pepsimax wrote:
what i forgot to say was the reason most get away with removing bits from the exhaust is because most inspection stations don't have the noise meter and there fore can't check it.and those that do have the meter can't be bothered.

so thats why most with modified exhaust still have their cars on the road.

Most sports exhaust systems are below the maximum noise level. Reason why most checking stations get away with it is because it is oviouslly not a priority/concern if the cars has retained the exact number of mufflers.

Now, what happens if I retain the same mufflers, but say change them to hi flow/straight through ones. I've still got the same mufflers, but the noise has vastly increased. Or just changing to different brand mufflers can change the noise.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

hey i'm going by the results of my research,,what everybody does with their own car is up to them,,i'm only informing people of what is supposed to be the law and what people can get away with.. :)

the only thing that will effect anybody is if the RTA and what ever is in the other states decide they wanna be mungrels and do a blitz :? ,,trust me i've seen it done in penrith many times :( ,,cars birdied for incorrect exhaust etc.

it does happen and we know it does :cry:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]