What do you think? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Just wondering how that thing will be down low as all the 6cyl ford turbos only run stall converters with only a 2800 max stall and some even run stock diff gears. The Vl turbo boys generally all run converters over 3800 minimum and diff gears shorter than 3.45:1. The turbo's of choice are slightly larger on average for the VL compared to the falcons but what would happen if we strap their big mumma turbo's and high stall converters onto our cars. I'm quite sure a sub 10 ain't out of the question. After all there are plenty of VL's now running high 9 second passes.
I guess the only way to know how good this thing really is on a 4.0 or 4.1 is for some crazy C*** to bolt one on and see.

Turbo's generally don't work like that..They work on load and build boost and torque..Like the U.S guys have found from converting s/c to turbo they found there 3.9 / 4.1 diffs too low on the 1/4 and found 3.27 - 3.4 the best...It seems to work on the theory it holds in gears longer and less traction issues on 60ft ....A turbo 6 we built has higher stool and it realy is no quicker...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I was just wondering how true that was and my mate proved that for me at WSID last night. His car was the VL turbo with the plates WPN 30T and had the rear end jacked up 2 foot in the air and the front lower than a snakes belly. Its got a GT35/40 turbo 3800rpm stall converter and 3.73:1 diff gears. It has made well over 500hp @ the wheels but could only manage a best of 11.7@125mph. No matter how hard he stalled it up with the foot brake he could only get 5psi boost before the car would walk forward and break the starting beams. Many people suggested he get a higher stall converter (4500rpm+) but to me that is uselesss because his turbo has similar characterisitcs to a XR6T and we all know what the boost response of those is like, even the 1000hp nispro motor. Instead my mate will return with a transbrake and a set of properly gapped spark plugs as it was breaking up at anything more than 20psi boost. Should be some very interesting times ahead.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

sounds good, maybe he should try an elec boost controller to limit boost in first gear... then bring it in more gradually as grip developes

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

He has a turbosmart E boost and he was running 26x10.5" M/T slicks so traction is not really an issue. The car would bog down off the line then pick up like a rocket, hence the 125mph.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Maybe adding some ignition advance where it bogs down could help. What ecu is he using?

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Microtech MTX 12. I mentioned before that the plug gaps may have been wrong and they were. The plugs were the wrong type as well. It doesn't really bog down so much but it doesn't leave the line as hard as it should.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2