Fordmods Logo

Blue LED interior MOD, and dash question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Blue LED interior MOD, and dash question
Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Ok i know this has been talked to death, but i cant go back and look at old posts now can i.

Anyway, i am about to do the blue LED mod in my AU.

I have sorced the part (no soldering for me)

Blue Wedge LED from NARVA (www.narva.com.au)
Firstly has anyone used this part before, is it bright enough does it fit ect?
(PART NO 47864)
Secondly
I want to put blue LED's to replace my bulbs in the eletric window lights.
Does any one know of a suitable LED to fit this?

Third
I have taken almost everything apart in my AU
But how the hell do you get a middle plastic bit off where the air con controls are ect? I want to put blue LED's behind there also

If i get this to work i will docco it up using the wedge method!

Post subject: Re: Blue LED interior MOD, and dash question
Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

xCoppa wrote:
Ok i know this has been talked to death, but i cant go back and look at old posts now can i.

Anyway, i am about to do the blue LED mod in my AU.

I have sorced the part (no soldering for me)

Blue Wedge LED from NARVA (www.narva.com.au)
Firstly has anyone used this part before, is it bright enough does it fit ect?
(PART NO 47864)
Secondly
I want to put blue LED's to replace my bulbs in the eletric window lights.
Does any one know of a suitable LED to fit this?

Third
I have taken almost everything apart in my AU
But how the hell do you get a middle plastic bit off where the air con controls are ect? I want to put blue LED's behind there also

If i get this to work i will docco it up using the wedge method!

About the second.... if the LEDS you are talking about, are the ones I think you are talking about, they are in the shape of a bulb, with a connector to plug into a bulb holder, and they have ther resistor soldered onto them? if so, they will fit any bulb on the dash, and including ones around the car, aslong as teh voltage is the same as the bulbs in the dash... which 5V? I think. so just mkeasure the voltage if you're not sure, and from there, phyiscally MAKE them fit :lol:

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Quote:
Removing the centre trim panel:

*Using those u-shaped head unit removal tools which you can buy at an auto shop (ABW make 'em) or a car audio place etc., remove your head-unit from the car and unplug it - but make sure you have your security code first so you can re-activate your stereo later.

*Remove the ash-tray by simply pulling it forward out of the dash (with the head-unit removed, you can put your hand in and push on the little clip on top of the ash-tray to make it easy to remove).

*Undo the two screws in the back of the ash-tray housing and also the two screws just inside the hole where the head-unit mounts (on the sides and towards the front).

*Before you can pull the centre trim panel out, you'll need to undo the other end of the HVAC temperature-control cable from the heater box (else you won't have enough slack to pull the whole centre trim panel out with it's controls attached etc.) - to do this, you need to remove the glove box - it simply clips into place by it's hinges and the tab's which stop it opening too far are simply plastic tabs which with a bit of squeezing can be pulled down past the surrounding trim - then a bit of careful force should unclip the hinges - it's easy to see how once you look at 'em. Behind the glove box you'll see where the steel cable clips into the white plastic lever on the heater box. The front of the plastic tab which holds the cable in place unclips and hinges downward - note where the cable is before you remove it - i.e. how many notches along the end of it before it goes into the plastic clip/lever so you can put it back the same - you'll see what I mean. Then just unclip the metal clip which holds the black outer cable housing to the plastic trim - just watch that this doesn't snag later as you're pulling the centre trim out and pulling this cable through.

*The centre trim panel has seven (if I recall correctly) metal clips around it's edge holding it in place. You simply need to pull on the trim panel to get it out from the dash. Once all the clips have popped out, be careful as you pull the trim panel forward because all the controls are still attached etc. and also all the small colourful vacuum tubes will still be connected to the HVAC control panel - you can pull the unit out far enough but just be careful not to accidentally pull to hard on all these tubes in the process.

*If you haven't already, you may wanna disconnect the battery now as a safety precaution.

*Unplug all the wiring behind the centre trim panel - the clock plug, two plugs on the HVAC, the cigarette lighter socket plug and the light bulb which clips into the back of the ash-tray.

*Remove the air con. vents (which are screwed in from behind).

*Remove the black plastic trim surround which sits in the middle of the centre trim panel (you'll be able to access the clips which hold it in place from behind the centre trim panel but you'll have to remove the screws which hold it also from behind the HVAC control unit).

*Remove the HVAC control panel by unscrewing it and sliding it back through the trim-panel.

*Remove the clock (screwed in from behind).

*Remove the little gold metal clip which is used to hold the ash-tray in place.

*Remove the cigarette lighter socket - note: the silver metal sleeve (i.e. the socket itself) must be removed first as it slides out of the clear plastic surround which it's it, then the plastic surround can be removed out of the trim - don't try and pull the socket and it's plastic surround out as one unit or you'll damage it - once again, when you have a look at the clips for yourself you'll see how they work

Bloody hell... goodluck mate!

Check it out for more info: http://www.aufalcon.com/Tech/techant.htm

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

hmm this will be fun...
thanks for that LG

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

ahh it easy to do
i removed my centre console gave me more room

as fore the bulbs i heard they blow fairly often

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

the 10mm NARVA Wedge LED do not fit the AU speedo, bulb is to big

will have to do a bit of trimming and see how we go from there :(

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:04 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

meh i got 7 new globes from ford and modded those

remember if you make your own use a resitor to bring for a voltage of 14volts not 12! as that is what the alt puts out

RIP SCOTT

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]