Fuel pump? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Fuel pump?
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:44 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA XR6 MKII

WA, Australia

Hey

how much would i be looking at for a new or second hand fuel pump. Shortly after having gas my car decided it wouldnt start on petrol anymore. ive had a service recently on gas and the dude i spoke to said i need a new fuel pump?

Cheers

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

$130 New From Auto 1

Your all a bunch of f**k Heads delete this f**k account stupid useless C*** who run this site cant even sell something useless wankers

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:33 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA XR6 MKII

WA, Australia

Auto1 They in perth do you know?

Cheers

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yeah mayyt im in perth
thats the place where i got mine from

Your all a bunch of f**k Heads delete this f**k account stupid useless C*** who run this site cant even sell something useless wankers

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah about $130 is the go for a newy, or around 60-80 for a second hand one.

It's worth getting the new one though for peace of mind!

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XF

WA, Australia

It probably doesn't apply to EFI engines but on my old carby van they had a fuel cut off solenoid installed between the tank and the pump, when running on gas the pump was dry and the seals and went on it quite quickly.

I imagine EFI simply turns off the fuel pump when running on gas but if not then it might be worth looking at where the cut off solenoid is located.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Sedan or wagon?
Sedans are half the price of wagon ones, around $100 to $150.00 depending on where you go and who ya know.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

heydonms wrote:
It probably doesn't apply to EFI engines but on my old carby van they had a fuel cut off solenoid installed between the tank and the pump, when running on gas the pump was dry and the seals and went on it quite quickly.

I imagine EFI simply turns off the fuel pump when running on gas but if not then it might be worth looking at where the cut off solenoid is located.

In most cases no (talking about petrol vehicles that have been converted to LPG/duel fuel - not factory duel fuelers), as the factory ECU wasn't designed with LPG in mind, so it isn't set up to send the signal, so they often install a system to turn the petrol pump and injectors off when on LPG.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

My duel fuel EB just cuts the injectors out. The pump stills pumps fuel to the fuel rail but injectors dont fire when on LPG. I would have prefered the pump to cut out as well (in the interests of pump longevity) but the fitter said its better to keep the fuel rail cool by keeping petrol pumping through it.

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
Shocked
I have just replaced the fuel pump on my dual fuel EL Fairmont.
If you know a friend at Repco, you can get the pump only for about $80, trade price.This is a pump only, not the fuel guage sender and mounting assembly.(all you need) The pump is always running while you are on gas, as for the ECU, there is an electrical connection made to tell the computer that you are running on gas, presumably, this advances the timing better suited for gas, as well as turning off the injectors.

Ford, the next best thing to a Hemi!

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Can I take a slight change of direction on this thread, please?

I recently (tried to) installed a new fuel pump into my EL wagon. Three of them!!

Each one burnt out within a week. They were all non genuine ones. The original pump was noisy, that was the reason I replaced it.

After spending a fortune on replacement pumps, I went to a wrecker and got a genuine one. This one is also a bit noisy, but no further problems.

What did I do wrong?? :?

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 120 rwkw

New Zealand

I've got duel fuel on my EF and when i'm running LPG the fuel pump is still going, The fuel pump is now quite loud, I was thinking of putting a switch or solenoid in so the fuel pump was not continuously running while on LPG.

A Vialle LPG system has a petrol start, so the once the engine is running it will then swap to LPG, So every time you start the car there's petrol at the injectors.

Surely with this feature it would be OK to turn the fuel pump off once the car is running on LPG???

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA Falcon Classic

WA, Australia

creeture3 wrote:
Can I take a slight change of direction on this thread, please?

I recently (tried to) installed a new fuel pump into my EL wagon. Three of them!!

Each one burnt out within a week. They were all non genuine ones. The original pump was noisy, that was the reason I replaced it.

After spending a fortune on replacement pumps, I went to a wrecker and got a genuine one. This one is also a bit noisy, but no further problems.

What did I do wrong?? :?

quite a few people have had a problem with fuel pumps burning out. I have a non-genuine one and it has ran fine for about 8 months now.

The only thing i can think of (short of an incredible coincidence involving aftermarket pumps) is that you had plenty of s**t and sediment in the bottom of your tank, which was being sucked up and therefore destroyed your 3 pumps before it was all gone. thats why I always run mine right down to the ground, so there isnt a chance for sediment to build up in the fuel thats always sitting on the bottom.

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

The sediment thing has been mentioned before, but I am sure there was none in the tank, as all the filters (on the pump) were as clean as a whistle. I even re-used a filter on the 2nd hand one I bought.

I even put my hand into the tank and felt around, and shone lights in there, but the tank was clean.

It's got me stuffed!!

I also made sure the fuel covered the pump in all of the cases.

Anyway, it's running fine now

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]