Fordmods Logo

Problem with Tickford Gas in an EF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Problem with Tickford Gas in an EF
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:48 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

My wife's car has had continuing problems with the Tickford gas system fitted to her EF. The latest problem is it cutting out indescriminately, even while driving. The converter has been replaced in the last 12 months and it has been to a Gas place to get it fixed, but the problem has come back. There is a clicking noise at the computer that develops not long after the car is started, but not always at the same time interval after starting the car. The clicking then starts at the top of the converter where the electric thingo that sits on top of the idle jet area, and that's when the car will run rough, like it has a miss, or cuts out altogether. The last time it was looked at whcih was just before Christmas, they found a dodgy earth wire where it connects at the intake manifold. That fixed it for a bout a day then it started again. They have since told me it is still aproblem with an Earth, but I even ran an earth from the battery and it only stopped the clicking problem for about ten minutes before it restarted. My question is this, is there arelay or something similair in the computer box for the gas, as it sounds to me like something in there is not latching on. I desperately need this fixed as the car costs a fortune to run on petrol.....Help would be appreciated...

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:26 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon RTV

QLD, Australia

Sounds like the idle solenoid is playing up or some wax crap is stuck in the idle jet?? I do remember another post from someone else about ticking from the comput, do a search on tickford lpg. This might be it http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... ckford+ecu

Post subject: Read the post you mentioned
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that, i read it and it's almost the same but for the fact that this car always switches back and forth from gas to petrol and starts etc no worries. My noise is definately a clicking but that could be a precurser to a buzzing sound? Looks like I'll have to try and get this Gas ECU apart and see where the noise is coming from. Or start looking for another Tickford ECU anyway. Anyone know how much they are, or how I could test this one?

Rod

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII ute

QLD, Australia

Maybe one of the lock off solenoids are faulty at either the tank or the converter.

The clicking in the computer is probably some kind of relay switching it back to petrol. I don't know.

Its hard to make a good suggestion with the info you have given.
Its all trial and error for you i guess.

You could buy a new solenoid for the converter for about $30 to try, you should be able to buy just the plastic round coil part, you won't need the whole thing. You could buy the whole thing if you want but its a waste of money if it doesn't fix it.

Do you mean than if there is a problem with the gas system the ecu automatically switches back to petrol?

I would rule out everything else before you look at the ecu.
I doubt it would be an earth problem to the solenoid, just check with a multimeter between the earth terminal and the battery and check that is nearly 0 ohms, 1 or 2 ohms should be fine.

Post subject: switching to petrol
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:22 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

It doesn't switch back to petrol all the time by itself, it makes the clicking noise at the ECU for the gas first and then it starts clicking at the converter where the solenoid thingo sits on top of where the idle jet is. All the wires have been checked on the shut offs and the earth lead has been changed for the Gas ECU. You can actually feel the clicking quite strongly if you put your hand on the ECU while it's playing up. And even when the gas is working it only gets 350km a tank tops and that's with my wife driving, not me. I don't get anywhere near that because my car is a 1964 EH Prem Wagon, so I go a bit silly when I get behind the wheel of a car with some power!

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:29 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

WA, Australia

i hate to suggest this, but have you tried a good ford dealer?

there might be one somewhere that has a good gas fitter who is familiar with faults from the factory gas setup - could save you a heap of experimenting and wasted money

Post subject: Ford Dealers
Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:30 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

When we first bought the car I was full on about sending it to Ford for any work that needed doing on it, but I have lost this train of thought because if it isn't just tuning or servicing they seem to send it out to other companies to do any other work. EG: We had an electrical fault and instead of just taking it to an Auto elec we put it in at ford. They sent it out to an Auto Elec and just charged their bit on the top. Does anyone know if there is a company that can repair these ECU's? I'm confident that it's not just a simple problem because this car has been worked on more than it's been driven!

Post subject: rough ilde on gas
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:03 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont Wagon

QLD, Australia

My EL runs rough at idle on gas, it has a tickford kit.
I read how to clean the idle jet but I can't identify it from the text, looks like three possible items, can someome point out which one to dissasemble.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:03 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon RTV

QLD, Australia

This is what it looks like removed etc.,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont Wagon

QLD, Australia

Thanks a lot eagleaus I'll get to it now.

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

another possibilty for the cutting out randomly is the saftey switch. i had one die on my xd falcon... would be running just fine then turn itself off for no apparent reason. replaced the saftey switch (a small black box with some wires coming out of it) and it was perfect after that. i dont know where you would find it on the tickford system but its worth a try to hunt it down and try swapping it over for a replacement one to test

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]