Fordmods Logo

suspension noise '98 EL V8 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: suspension noise '98 EL V8
Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Has anyone had bad clunking/creaking from the frount end of their car, particularly under breaking and turning - three workshops unable to find including the local Ford Franchise. All bushes have been replaced with nolathane, springs, shocks (slighty lower) bearings, rotors, tie rods, upper and lower ball joints - basically every thing that I can see that moves has been replaced. Any ideas!!

Post subject: Re: suspension noise '98 EL V8
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

frankie wrote:
Has anyone had bad clunking/creaking from the frount end of their car, particularly under breaking and turning - three workshops unable to find including the local Ford Franchise. All bushes have been replaced with nolathane, springs, shocks (slighty lower) bearings, rotors, tie rods, upper and lower ball joints - basically every thing that I can see that moves has been replaced. Any ideas!!

Yeah I get something like that coming from the left hand side somewhere at the front. More so when turning left into my driveway, and when I drive into a car park, slowly swing her around under brakes and into a parking space. Get some creak there.
I'm a bit worried that I might need a new steering rack, or that something vital is loose in the front suspension?

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EBII 220kw Tickford powered.

ACT, Australia

Sounds strange that no-one has been able to tell you anything as yet, but I would look at things other than the suspension now.

Try, engine mounts, cross-member mount nuts and bolts.

Also, when the rotors were fitted, did whoever fitted them refit or replace the small shims that fit between the pads and cradles.

Do you know if your car has ever had any front end damage? This may be worth looking into.

The car should be called "Frankenstien". EBII GLi skeleton, AU T2 220kw heart, AU2 brain, EF/EL for everything else.

"Bitza" Member 28 on FORDMODS v1.0 Joined 28-04-2002
"TS50EB" Member 300 on FORDMODS v1.1 Rejoined 6-11-2004

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Shims in pads ok - everything else has been replaced - I hear these steering racks can give a litle trouble, but have been given the OK for mine! - everythnig including the crossmember/subframe is tight as! - I really have no more ideas - I havn't checked the mounts - but would these make a noise?

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EBII 220kw Tickford powered.

ACT, Australia

I was just thinking, did this start after you did the bushes? Or did you replace the bushes to help correct the noises?

When I replaced the bushes in my Mustang with polygraphite (v. similar to nolathane) I was given "special" grease to use. There was a warning that "normal" grease did not provide the correct lubrication, and would make strange noises.

The car should be called "Frankenstien". EBII GLi skeleton, AU T2 220kw heart, AU2 brain, EF/EL for everything else.

"Bitza" Member 28 on FORDMODS v1.0 Joined 28-04-2002
"TS50EB" Member 300 on FORDMODS v1.1 Rejoined 6-11-2004

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

yes I did use the grease that came with the bushes - I have heard that the incorrect product is not recomended with urathane bushes.

The bushes were always something that I planned to do - the car was bog standard when purchased, and handled like a lemon. I don't recall hearing the noise when I purchased the car, though. - so maybe one/some arn't properly lubed? thanks!

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Yes another E series gremlin. I often get that clunk from the front end as well usually turning left early in the morning. Dosent seem to do it after 5-10 kms of driving. I get it more reversing but it is initially. But if I reverse and turn up the street it stops doing after a while. I have had it for 2 years now. :? :?

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

I know when my carbon canister was not sitting correctly, it would 'clunk' on the inside of the front bar when turning left - depending on how it was sitting. Spent a while trying to diagnose suspension noise only to realise the canister was simply knocking around up there.

Its a longshot.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FPV BF MKII F6

QLD, Australia

sounds like a bearing in the power steering rack.

i have to get mine replaced too it costs like 420 fitted to get done.
i think i might wait a bit ha ha ha

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.
Gone for good..... Damn fence posts!!!!!

OBS35N #2 (XXF6XX) just bought, bring it on

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

mine makes the same "clunk" noise, ended up being a work pinion gear in the rack. nothing really to worry about.

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Wait for a wet day then push the front or rear end down... get some motion going.

Generally, if something is squeeky with a plastic bush (poly, nolathane which are racing spec btw... generally not reccomended for road use are both just plastic) it will be more evident in a wet environment... especially it they haven't geen greased properly. That's what I have found anyway. Others may have different views.

Ever noticed that if you erase pencil with an eraser it's quiet, but use that same eraser on a wet surface and it squeeks and chatters and stuff like that?

If it squeeks when the car is stationary, you know it's most likely bushes and no point doing anything to the rack.

If you can't get enough motion going by yourself, find a road with bumps and hollows in it and really get the suspension to flex.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]