Fordmods Logo

thermoquad carbies 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: thermoquad carbies
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL FALCON

NSW, Australia

thermoquad carby rebuild anyone know anything about em?

Post subject: anyone?
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL FALCON

NSW, Australia

I just want to know what cfm the carbie i have has and i guess general opinions. i have a good book about them that shows just about everything u could think of to tweak em but it doesnt tell me what cfm it has. the model number is 9144s and its off a 302 clevo in a xc fairmont wagon.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

To many stories etc on sizes, some state 600cfm, 730cfm, 800 and 850, who bloody knows, all I can tell you is they are one of the best production carbies ever made if in good order and setup right, far better than a Holley straight out of the factory.

But I don't recommend to use them with LPG, cold petrol and hot plastic when switching back to petrol can cause them to crack.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:37 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XD ute, BA XR8

NSW, Australia

they are not that hard to rebuild, I have done 1 years ago but the only suggestion is that you take it apart slowly so you can see where everything came from and have a exploded view diagram of the carby.

No subsitute for cubic inches

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:27 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

I believe in Australia we only used the 750cfm version. There was an 850cfm factory version in the US as well as a 1000cfm aftermarket version.

They are not that hard a carby to rebuild, its just that a Holley is so easy to rebuild!! Also in comparison a Holley is a very basic carby in function.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I have found that whenever I have rebuilt one I always used to replace the floats as they are plastic and start to soak up fuel as they get some age on them.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

bundy_bears wrote:
I have found that whenever I have rebuilt one I always used to replace the floats as they are plastic and start to soak up fuel as they get some age on them.

I have been told stories about factory brass ones collapsing by a mate that used to rebuild them all the time in a performance workshop, his preference is good plastic ones but he mentioned of heaps of float failures.
This bloke is a Chevy man but loves Thermoquads over any other 4 barrel carby, he can show anyone how cheap it is to get over 225rwhp with good idle and economy on a XC-XE based 351, using only the factory carby (rejetted and tunned), intake, headers, sports exhaust, re-graphed dissy and certain spec cam, as long as the engine is in good condition, it isn't big hp but it is reliable and good economy for a Cleveland, he reckons they can get 25mpg out of them

I find the glued on jet caps often leak, bastards of things to seal, this causes engine flooding and destroys those cheap a*** Fuel-miser throttle plate gaskets.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]