Mist Injectors 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Mist Injectors
Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Just for interest to those ppl thinking of upgrading their ECU's. When I was at uni a guy was doing his thesis on fuel injectors for the motorsport team. A summary of what he was doing is below:

Most injectors work by jetting a single 'pencil stream' or thin jet of fuel down the intake runner so that it hits the back of the valve or side of the runner. The impact with the valve makes the fuel 'splash' into small droplets and get sucked in with the air.

There are variations such as twin spray injectors (for 2 intake valve engines).

But then there are these other type of injectors. Then have 4 or more ports on the bottom and generate a 'mist' as apposed to a stream. The advantage of this is that the mist has much finer particules, it also evaporates more readily, cools the intake charge and burns evenly. Also fuel is less likely to stick to the sides of the intake runner.

The ones he was testing were fitted standard to a honda F4i (CBR 600) engine. And apparently made a few KW difference (on a 600CC engine!)

Has anyone seen anything like this for 4.0L sized engines?
Or any experience with any of these?

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

I was under the impression that all injectors used in the last few years are mist, but I have no facts to support this statement so shoot me down if you will.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I was actually thinking about trying something along these lines with water. I know it's used primarily in forced induction motors for different reasons, but even in my NA car I notice an improvement when driving in fog, so I thought I'd try using one of those ultrasonic mist/fog generators patched inline between the throttle body and the air box. It'd probably need a few transducers to get any benfit but even a proper water injection system with my high compression (12.5:1) engine would probably help out anyway

ImageImage

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Hyena wrote:
I was actually thinking about trying something along these lines with water. I know it's used primarily in forced induction motors for different reasons, but even in my NA car I notice an improvement when driving in fog, so I thought I'd try using one of those ultrasonic mist/fog generators patched inline between the throttle body and the air box. It'd probably need a few transducers to get any benfit but even a proper water injection system with my high compression (12.5:1) engine would probably help out anyway

Water injection has been used to a fair bit of success on N/A engines.

Benefits are threefold.... 1) Cools intake temp. Now i know this is being discussed in another thread so you are aware of the advantages here. This is how my very basic system works - at 3psi a pump is activated which simply sprays a mist in front of the blower intake.

2) The water coming in through such a dry system effectively "dirties" the air charge and thus increases resistance to detonation, having a similar effect to increasing the octane of the fuel.

3) Once it starts burning, water assists the combustion process. As it is burnt, releases more oxygen into the combustion chamber (hey - all it is is 2 hydrogen molecules and 1 oxygen atom) which means the fuel burns more efficiently towards the end of the combustion process. Altho this is probably something which the engine needs to be 'tuned' to.... in fact ive read stories of people replacing up to 50% of their fuel with water....

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

/me goes and emptys 20l or water into my fuel tank :P

What's the link to the other thread ?
I missed it actually...

ImageImage

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Well I haven't seen these pencil spray pattern injectors yet,(I have seen old articles about them), and I can say I have cleaned and tested more than a few different types (Ford and Jap etc), most have a similar standard spray pattern, easy to see it when doing a balance and flow test.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL 347, Landau

SA, Australia

I have some new 42lb/hr ford racing/bosch injectors with the multiple spray pattern.
Shane

Weapons of choice
1998 NL Fairlane by Tickford 033
1996 NL Fairlane Ghia 347
1992 NC Fairlane Ghia 5.0
1974 Landau
1974 LTD

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:04 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

There are basically 2 types of injectors available, disc and pintle. The pintle tends to produce a more concentrated "garden hose" stream which becomes more pronounced as the pressure is increased. It is actually not recomended to increase the base fuel pressure due to that problem. The disc injector usually has 4 holes in the end and produces a finer spray pattern which does not get affected as much with pressure increases.

Lucas is a manufacturer of disc and Bosch does both but more of the pintle style.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]