Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: removing tanks - empty?
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

hey all

i have an EF Gli with the wheel-well LPG tanks. problem is, i need to remove the fuel tank, so the LPG tanks have to come out as well.

question is, do the LPG tanks have to be emptied in order to remove them? of it i remove the necessary wires/hose(s) can i shift them out of the way in order to swap the fuel tank over?

cheers

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I'm assuming it's the wagon with the scuba tank setup.

Frase, they only need to be empty if the tank is to be tested - BTW, if they're within reasonable time, might be wise to run it empty and have it tested at the same time it's taken out.
If not, close the shutoff valve on the tank, run the engine on gas to use what's left in the line (they'll still be some left, so be careful when you crack the copper line fitting). Disconnect the sender and lock off wires, unbolt the tank and remove - obviously the more LPG in the tank, the more heavier it will be, so you only need to leave enough to get you to a servo if your petrol side is giving problems.
When refitting the copper line, there needs to be special sealing paste put on the threads - probably best done by an LPG installer. I have seen people hamfist the fitting, which cracks it and causes a leak - only way to repair is to cut the copper line, put a new fitting on, and reflare the pipe.

Is the tank an APA or a manchester ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

yeah its the APA setup - tanks have been replaced so no need to be tested at all

i'll make sure i keep eyes on that copper line - i might get it all refitted then swing past an installer to have them reconnect

thanks ray - as always, perfect with the help! :)

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, no probs dude.
That's probably the best way to get an installer to do the reconnection and leak check.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:59 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

never heard of the paste before!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Yeah, no probs dude.
That's probably the best way to get an installer to do the reconnection and leak check.
I have heard that the tester in ACT won't accept a tank to test from the public out of the car.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:04 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Ive installed a couple of them tanks in the past.
Its very easy to do and yes there is a thread seeling paste/glue you get from Locktite.

Do not trust it however after you use it give 24 hours for it to cure before you pressurise the system when wet test the joins as well.

While the tanks out call APA and get the over fill cutoff valve model and serial number checked. Some have been known to fail and allow over filling of the tank. (causes explosions) as car tanks dont expand to well. Also the over pressure valves are known to fail. There was a APA bulliton last year about a range of the Cut off and Over pressure Reief valves manafactured over a period of years. They were offering free replacment.

Uglybob im in Merriwa if you would like me to de-commision your system / re-commision.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

twason wrote:
I have heard that the tester in ACT won't accept a tank to test from the public out of the car.
Most likely you'd need to leave it with a LPG mechanic to be picked up for test.
A few months ago, I had to get the relief valve replaced - the place I went to was listed by APA as an accredited tester, etc, so he also tested tanks - his workshop was a fibro shed, with a couple of benches, and that was it (my garage with benches and toolboards were bigger than his) LOL.

garsiph wrote:
Ive installed a couple of them tanks in the past.
Its very easy to do and yes there is a thread seeling paste/glue you get from Locktite.Do not trust it however after you use it give 24 hours for it to cure before you pressurise the system when wet test the joins as well.
Yeah, can't remember the loctite number. You certainly need at least overnight for it to start to set.

garsiph wrote:
While the tanks out call APA and get the over fill cutoff valve model and serial number checked. Some have been known to fail and allow over filling of the tank. (causes explosions) as car tanks dont expand to well. Also the over pressure valves are known to fail. There was a APA bulliton last year about a range of the Cut off and Over pressure Reief valves manafactured over a period of years. They were offering free replacment.
The suspect valves are a SIDEK approval no 6394. All manchester tanks with this valve are affected, but with your APA tank, only if the tank has been retested, i.e. if it's a new tank with new valve, no further action is required - hope that makes sense, if not, as said, ring APA to check.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:08 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Some Dodgy people didnt change APA tank valves ect. I saw a couple SIDEK ones in some APA units a while back when I was wrecking cars. I emptied the tanks and hit em with a big sledge hammer after running compressed air thorugh them for 4 hours.

Ill just have to have a look at his KIT if he wants me to.

The locktite GAS sealer I used was also brilliant for f**k E series fuel filters. I used to call it No more Drips haha.

Its Anerobic, and sets instantly but I had a 10% leak rate if it wasnt left over night. Thats got a lot to do with the fact you never get a perfect flare unless its laved.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, I'd prefer o ring fittings over flared ones.
BTW, here's the link for the recall: http://www.lpgaustralia.com.au/displayc ... iclenbr=17

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:23 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

There is a change that if the o-ring leaks the joint will freeze and vibrations will disintergrate the o-ring. and cause a bloddy big leak.

Cheers for that url to.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

the fact the gas system isn't working means i might be calling for your services, in exchange for monies/beer, if i can't figure the bastard out! :P

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

fraser and cars = bad idea :P

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:28 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

hahaha Disco,

uglybob thats kewl. Ill have a captincook at it for free lol. I might just call in a helpin hand off ya in return one day.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]