Fordmods Logo

EL Air Con Issues 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Air Con Issues
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Fairmont EL

NSW, Australia

I love the tech docs here. AC not very cold. Tested using doc and all good. Took car to an AC place who tested and charged me $50, reasonable. Am told the consdensor is leaking and needs replacement as well as fan belt and AC service. Total way over $500.

Is the condensor that radiator looking thing behind the number plate? Is it able to be repaired? Is this a reasonable price? Is a second hand one an option?

Or should I be leaving the windows down and driving faster next summer? I know very little about AC except you press the - button and it gets colder.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

The condensor isnt that expensive on ozeparts.com.au

Nigel

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XB ute, ED mont

WA, Australia

Yes condensor is in front of radiator, can get replacements fairly cheap try coventrys they do them

ED Fairmont, XR lights, AU tickford 200kw, GT-P 18's, TwEEcer, 230kw, KAAZ LSD.

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:59 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Now I see a picture of one on ozeparts, I recall what they are from having seen it! If I can get one of those, fit it myself I'd wager (losing all my refrigernat), does anyone know if it would just need a regas then? and what might that cost?

Watch the bouncing baubles!

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

You should be able to get an A/C person to discharge your A/C for free.... then change it over, then get it regassed

Change the receiver dryer at the same time.

nigel

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:42 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Being a Friday, I've just rung around and can confirm
1. $500-600 is a good price
2. price includes receiver/dryer.
3. involves labour to r/r front bumper bar and headlights to get condenser and receiver/dryer replaced.
4. does not include a tx valve i've been old should be done (its on the firewall)
5. cannot "legally" r/r condenser/dryer myself as involves illegal discharge of ozone to the atmosphere that carries a $15k fine (if they catch you)
6. common fault in EL as condensor sits on frame and it twists and cond. don't so second hand is no good unless tested and warranted.
7. even if I bought all those parts and fitted myself, still have to pay for the service and regas so cost will be about the same. maybe save $100 or so, but take me a whole saturday to work it out and get it done i'd reckon? false economy, I have better things to do.

sounds like i'm F**k and have to bite the bullet and pay the piper. Thanks for contributions all :D

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:46 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hi, remember to replace the special "O Rings". These are not ordinary Butal rubber o rings, they are made of a plastic designed to withstand high pressure & the "refrige gas/oil mix. They do tend to become miss-shapen when used, although this may not be apparent. They are also coloured to show they are different from normal O Rings. They must be installed lubricated, using a little A/C recharge oil, which there will plenty of available after you remove the old condenser. Lastly, be patient in removing the old & replacing the new condenser as the piping can be "frozen" in place, with not much room to move . Being aluminium they tend to bend easily. Keep everything clean & dustfree, and be wary of creating burrs on the aluminium pipes, caused by not removing them squarely. Lastly, do not pay more than about $80 for your recharge as the going rate seems to be about $70. Good luck.
Bonzer

Nothing is as easy as it looks.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]