Fordmods Logo

XF Auto service 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: XF Auto service
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

OK Guys, I know how to do an auto service on my car, EFI 4.1 Auto (BW40), just want to make sure I havent forgotten anything and get reccomendations on brands and stuff. I know I'll need a filter, pan gasket, and some ATF. Is there anything else I'll need? Does this sound like a good method of doing it: Get gearbox up to operating temp, put car up on ramps, drop the oil pan, pour all the oil into drain tin, degrease pan, fit new gasket, replace filter, put pan back on, and refill the trans with ATF? Anything I have missed? What brand of ATF should I use? I used Valvoline XLD in the engine, so would it make sense to use a Valvoline product in the gearbox as well?

Any advice would be appreciated, Gab

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

just ask for a transmission service kit from repco, they're less than $30, and have a pan gasket, filter and filter gasket

while you're at it, you may want to get a tube of contact adhesive to seal the gasket properly.....

you'll need around 5L of ATF, brand preference is up to you

when you refill the tranny, make sure the car is on level ground first

Banned

Post subject: Re: XF Auto service
Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Gab wrote:
Get gearbox up to operating temp, put car up on ramps, drop the oil pan, pour all the oil into drain tin,

You dont think youre honestly going to be able to take the pan off, without spilling any oil, and then pour it into a tin do you?

Id be draining the oil first. There isnt much chance of the tranny pan holding 5 litres of oil, and if it hot, it will burn. Just undo the drain plug, and let the oil out first, you wont regret it

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Post subject: Re: XF Auto service
Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
Gab wrote:
Get gearbox up to operating temp, put car up on ramps, drop the oil pan, pour all the oil into drain tin,

You dont think youre honestly going to be able to take the pan off, without spilling any oil, and then pour it into a tin do you?

Id be draining the oil first. There isnt much chance of the tranny pan holding 5 litres of oil, and if it hot, it will burn. Just undo the drain plug, and let the oil out first, you wont regret it
last time i looked, BW 3 speed autos dont have a drain plug...... i know my BW40 doesnt

Banned

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:55 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: V.W.

VIC, Australia

Yeah the Bloody things don't have a sump plug but I wish they did. :x

I changed my Auto Fluid last week and flushed it with 12 Litres of Fluid; it's going smoother now and changing gears heaps quicker.

I used an Oil change tray you can get from Kmart and Auto barn etc, but I still spilt a fair bit.

I find it's better and easier to change it cold, but other people would have different opinions.

I flushed it by taking the return line of the Auto cooler and catching the Fluid.

Here is what I did.

After I changed the Fluid and filter, I started the car and drained 3 Litres from the cooler line, and then I topped up the Auto and drained it from the cooler again until I had put 8 Litres through it and it was coming out clean.

It was easy for me because I had 20 Litre pump to pump the Fluid back into the Auto, but I also know it can be a real Pain trying to refill it by squeezing one litre bottles down the dip stick tube or into the side of the Auto.
Also I use Castrol Fluid, I used Castrol TQ 95 in my AU 4 speed, but you will have to use another type that is meant for Ford 3 Speeds just ask at a Repco or Auto barn.

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

for the 3 speed autos use dexron 3

Banned

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]