drum to disc 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: drum to disc
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XF Wagon

VIC, Australia

G'day

This has been covered before but i need some clarification.

I know that the hand brake cable needs to be swapped over, but what else needs to be changed? Do the brake lines on the disc brake diff bolt straight up to the lines on the car?

Whats the go with the master cylinder? Does it need to be changed or not?

Cheers

If its too loud your too old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

what car? If its XF drum to disc using stock XF discs then its all pretty much a bolt up affair I think.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:01 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Forgot about that,

Yeah its an xf wagon with drums. Putting in xf disc lsd.

Cheers

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

I had a disc brake diff from an EA wagon put in my 302C XD ute. It needed the XF 4 wheel disc master cylinder, because the proportioning valve is part of the master cylinder.

Never got around to changing the hand brake cable over though so I had no hand brake. Bad.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XF 4.1 EFi

NSW, Australia

Yeah this is one of those questions many people ask, and simply yes you are mean't to change a vavle in the master cylinder, which controls the bais. But, i've been running my drum to disc convertion for 12 months, without changing it. all it does is lock up the back before the front, and normally you don't lock em up. So personally I'd leave it, but if your racing it or driving on the street like you are, change it. But offically i told you to change it ok.

But you do have to change the hand brake cable, which is a b**ch. so you'd need a wagon one... hmm... i've got a Fairland one.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

Fairlanes of that vintage are built on much the same platform as the wagons (complete with leaf springs in the rear) aren't they? If that's the case the cables should be interchangable or am I completely off-base?

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

yea, you'll need to change the master cylinder and rear handbrake cables, ones from a fairlane should do the trick

Banned

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:31 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

righto

done the swap.
Got the diff ready before it went in the car. New lines, discs (slotted), calipers and pads.
The diff went in real easy. i had real trouble getting the lines to seal up, but after 3 hours of rooting around i got them sealed up. The hand brake cable i used was out of the same wagon the diff came out of. Put that on real easy aswell. The problem no is that the pads groan when your driving, i think is should stop when they have bedded in properly.

As for the master cylinder there is no difference between drum and disc ( so i now know). I checked twice. My workshop manual for the xf series (all models, sedan wagon fairlane and ute) and the computer catalogue at abs in croydon.
The wagons all come with the same master cylinder whether its disc or drum, same with sedans and the fairlanes. However there is a difference in part numbers between each different model (sedan, wagon and fairlane) but as for size of the master cylinder and the valve inside they are the same. Me and the guy at abs pulled to rooted ones apart and compared them.

The car stops like a dream, heaps better than before and now i know why. Both wheel cylinders in the drums where pumping fluid into the brake shoes, hence the grabbing and the not wanting to stop.

Now all i have to do is wait for the 330mm fronts to turn up.

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]