Fordmods Logo

what gauges are important for a turbo xr6 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: what gauges are important for a turbo xr6
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

O.k on advice from another forum, I asked this question and was told boos ,oil pressure and oil temp.

I purchased a boost an oil temp rang to organse install and was told oil temp and oil pressure were crap, I should have got an intake temp gauge.

Well boys letthe games begin.

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:52 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

I would only recomend boost and oil pressure. If you actually saw engine or trans oil temp when your are leaning on the engine you would probably freak out. And at the end of the day what would it tell you? That you need an oil cooler, that would be very obvious. Air intake temp is only helpful for placing the air inlet in the best possible position and for tuning purposes.

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU1 XR6 VCT

VIC, Australia

Why would you even need a boost guage?
It will tell you your running X boost.. but is that important? Its going to run at the boost regardless. Sure, when its first set up its good to know what boost your running but for day to day stuff is it needed?

AU XR6 VCT 14.57 @ 92.92mph.
Auto - NA - Unopened
Proudly tuned and prepared by G&D Performance Tuning - Get the Edge!

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Boost guage is good if a leak develops or a pipe blows off, It's not needed but I run one so I can keep an eye on whats going on. Also a good idea is an AF ratio meter, that will quickly tell you if there are fueling problems which will obviously cause engine damage very quickly. I run a wideband O2 but if you don't want to fork out the $$$$ for one of those, a basic narrowband display for the stock O2 will at least tell you when things go wrong. Oil temp is probably not needed, oil pressure is probably a good idea if you don't already have one in the dash.

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

An exhaust temp senser is good too...After a while you know how hot it gets in normal driving.So anything 100*c or so above that I'd be slowing down keeping an eye on things....Can be used as a tuneing aid also...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

AF ratio guages are rubbish. Althought the Microtech ones you see some cars at the drags with are quite good. The friendly guys at Advan performance told me that you can work out your mixture from exhaust temp and a few other basic things.

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
AF ratio guages are rubbish.

I assume you are talking about narrowband, not wideband. Yes they are inaccurate as the narrowbands only really tell you storch, rich or lean. But on boosted engines they are usefull because under boost they should run nice and rich, if you see a lean point then you know something is up. Wideband is the way to go, I got mine for tuning and piece of mind but they are expensive.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
AF ratio guages are rubbish. Althought the Microtech ones you see some cars at the drags with are quite good. The friendly guys at Advan performance told me that you can work out your mixture from exhaust temp and a few other basic things.

I dunno about you guys but i'd rather have a rich/lean/stoich status in front of my face as opposed to calculating rich/lean status on the fly.

The narrowband gauge is good for monitoring what EEC is doing. i.e. if the gauge is permenantly stuck on rich then you know the ECU isnt going into closed loop - seems kinda important to me and wouldnt be a bad idea on n/a either. Wideband is ideal but they're far from cheap.

Oil temp not worth it IMO, oil pressure is good if you plan on giving the old girl a flogging. Boost/vac more for diagnosis for me, can tell a fair bit about the engine on what the manifold pressure is doing.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
xcabbi wrote:
AF ratio guages are rubbish.

I assume you are talking about narrowband, not wideband.

Yeah they are the ones I'm talking about. Severall mechanics don't like them because of their inaccuracies. And they are not that cheap either. Some sell for over 700 bucks. The guage will only tell you lean but will not tell you if its a safe lean out or a handgrenade territory lean out.

If i was to get a whole lot of guages I would make sure that some came with warning lights. I am not one to take my eyes off the road just to check my engines vitals. At least with a warning light It will get my attention and I can quickly glance at what paramter is in danger. Also you can mount your guages down low and away from the head impact area and they can still be usefull if you have warning lights.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

For a turbo car boost guage is VERY important, what happens if your wastegate spring is a 10psi one and its tuned for 10psi but for some reason you get a boost spike on it jumps up to 12psi and leans out?? How will you know?? What happens if the vac hose come off the waste gate and all of a sudden the turbo spools to it max??

As for a AR guage, Ive used a narrowband to tune a good 90% of my fuel map and whit out it I could never have done that... Id have melted pistons by now.

Get a good quality boost guage, AR guage, oil pres guage.

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yes i agree but there should be a cutout on ecu if boost raises too high...But it has to be set that way...8860 & E11's can be...
By the time you notice.. damage is done !!! I guess the pov is a safety thing to have as well?

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]