General Maintenence Docco 

Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hey everyone, thought I'd write up a short doco on how to change the fuel filter in an EL. I believe the process is the same for all other models since it was the same thing I did when I did a fuel filter change in my EA.

Got no pictures since I am doing it from memory as well as with the helping hand of the gregory's manual.

To begin with you will need to have access to maybe a trolley jack and a set of jack stands...it is not compulsory, but makes it much easier if you have more clearance. Not 100% sure, but tyre jacks may just do the trick, I personally would not recommend it. Anyways, the point is you need something to jack the car up with :D. Some open spanners (not sure what size :?), goggles (maybe) and a new fuel filter which you can find at your local automotive supplier such as Supercheap or Repco. I can't remember the part number for the Fuel filter, but i think it is Z373 or something.

Before you decide to jack up the car, make sure you release the pressure in the fuel line. To achieve this, you can do what I did and unplug the fuel pump then starting up the car. The fuel pump is located in the petrol tank which can be accessed through the boot. Open the boot, remove the carpet lining thingy and you will find a circular cover plate on the top left hand side of the boot floor. Remove this cover plate and you will find underneath, 2 tubes/pipes as well as some wiring with a loom. Ignore the 2 tubes/pipes, just disconnect the wiring by unplugging the loom. Move the unplugged loom away by holding it down outside of the hole...so sticky tape it down or something.

Now once you have done that, start the car up and let it run until it stalls. Once it stalls, try to start the car up again and let it turn over for about 10 seconds or so. This should release majority of the pressure in the line.

It is time for you to raise the back of the car making sure the car is on a level surface with the hand brake on. Once raised and on the jack stands, chuck the front wheels with some bricks.

Get under the car and locate the fuel filter, which is located in front of the rear right wheel and under the rear right passenger seating area. The fuel filter is held on by the 2 pipes on either end of the filter and also the fuel filter holder which is held on by a rivet...so you can't really remove the holder.

Once located, you will need to get 2 open ended spanners. (I forget what size but I think they are a 12mm and 14 or 15mm spanner). Before you undo the union bolts on either side of the filter...put some goggles on, even though you have released the pressure in the line, there is still some fuel left in the filter which may squirt out a little bit. Best way I found to undo the bolts is to just have your hands under the car to undo the bolts while your head sticks out of the side of the car. By the way, if you have fresh cuts on your hands...wear gloves or be prepared to feel stinging sensation.

Get the union bolts undone and remove the piping away from the filter. It may take some effort, so don't give up. You may need to bend one of the pipes a tiny bit to get enough space to slide the fuel filter out of the holder. According to the Gregory's manual, if you encounter difficulties in removing the fuel filter, drill the rivet and remove the fuel filter holder...though be careful not to cause any sparks, best way is to plug the pipes back in temporarily and then drill.

When you have successfully removed the old fuel filter, slide the new filter into the holder making sure it is facing the right way. The fuel filter should have an arrow or an indicator telling which way the petrol should flow through the filter. The fuel filter i bought from supercrap had rubber rings which I had to place inside either side of the fuel filter before connecting the pipes back on. These rubber rings act as a seal and stop petrol leaks through the union bolts. When you are confident that it is facing the right way and all rubber rings in place, connect the pipes up again making sure they align correctly. Tighten the union bolts up nice and tight.

If you want, you can now lower the car back down, reconnect the fuel pump and turn the key to ignition to let the fuel pump pressurize the fuel line. Don't start the engine. Check for any leaks at the union bolts. If all seems fine you can start the car and check again for any leaks. If all is well then you have just successfully replaced your fuel filter. If however you have a leak, you will need to put in more elbow grease to tighten the bolts up more. I'm sure it won't leak once you tighten it up more, if it does... you could try removing it again and checking if the rubber rings/seals are sitting right or if the fuel filter is dodgy.

Hopefully someone will read this before they post another thread on FUEL FILTERS.

Good luck and have fun.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:38 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford 96 EL Falcon GLi Wagon

NSW, Australia

EBII92 wrote:
yes. it should be done. i cant do anything past an oil and filter change and the occasional coolent flush. i would like to know how to save a few more dollars being the tight prick that i am

^ lol

Yeah, good idea for sure man.

Post subject: Re: General Maintenence Docco
Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

I think I should write up the gearbox maintenance doco :).

Not this week though, I hate busy weeks :(.

Next Week for sure though, I haven't change the oil or gearbox fluid in a while, especially the gearbox fluid, I haven't touched it since I blew that headgasket and when I blew the radiator cap not long after that, aaaah that was a fordmod's moment, that happened right at the start of the kings way exit in peak hr traffic, and it was the motorshow fordmods night out :lol:.

I'll make some pointer's why you generally change the gearbox fluid when I get my a*** into gear next week and actually do it :P.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: ED fairmont Ghia 5 litre

NSW, Australia

god this treads been open for a few years and hasnt had much progress
seems it needs a little update :P

THE V8 OUTLAW

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

vrblou02 wrote:
god this treads been open for a few years and hasnt had much progress
seems it needs a little update :P

Hell yeah! :)

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:04 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BAxr6 mkII, BA xr6, EA Spac

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Hopefully someone will read this before they post another thread on FUEL FILTERS.

Good luck and have fun.

phong =P~

haha thats a bit optimistic... you know no one reads anything before posting as thread starting with 'how do i...'

Homer- Everytime i try to learn somethign new it pushes out old information!
Like that time i learnt how to taste wine and forgot how to drive.

Marge- You didn't forget how to drive you where drunk!

Homer- And How!
Successful Trades: Private9

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1996 ford el futura

NSW, Australia

thats a awsome idea for sure that would be great :mrgreen:

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4