Fordmods Logo

AU2 Forte Sedan Turbo Project. Advice appreciated. 

Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: AU2 Forte Sedan Turbo Project. Advice appreciated.
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:47 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: eb-twin turbo

VIC, Australia

i have contacted kyle and we have discussed the thread topic in detail , as alot of people are mis-informed regarding our products ( including kyle ) i have offered to send pictures of our stage 6 turbo manifold / collector / mandrel mends ect

kyle and myself are not enemys as much as some would like it to be the case however it is time to clear the air regarding turbo manifold design ect

until then please keep the thread civil !!

Snort Snort, we make our own speed!!!!!

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:34 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ford EB GLI

VIC, Australia

220XR8 wrote:
Well, the kits in NZ now, has been for a while, now it's waiting to clear customs that is taking ages. I should have it next week though.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited. I can't wait to get my grubby little mitts all over that gear!

Sounds good mate,Im sure there will be a few surprised looking faces over in NZ once its up and running :D

EBT-747 -

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AU2 220 XR8 and AU2 Forte sedan

New Zealand

P.S (pre-script), I gotta agree with snort, any posts, please keep it civil and on topic, this isn't meant to be a thread for mud slinging :). And now onto topic..

Yes! Finally have my import taxes paid up and the goods can be cleared from customs.

customs said it will take 1-2 days after payment has cleared for delivery, so I can probably expect it by friday.

I decided to pull the old 6 out of the carport to see how she was doing after a few months of sitting around and there is a bit of a problem with the car at the moment. It always wants to go into limp home mode once its warmed up. Aside from that I can't believe how soft and sloppy the suspension feels after driving the v8s for so long, don't get me wrong, it easily beats the ride comfort of the v8s but I don't think it's going to be the best for the turbo set up.

Just found out that I've got to have moved place in about 3 weeks too, so I'm not going to start the build until I've moved. there is no point tearing it apart right before I've got to move it half way across the region. Plus I'm getting a better shed to work in :)

I think this may be a blessing in disguise. In the time it takes me to move I could possible sell or trade the forte in for an xr6. It would have way better performance potential because of the head and cam and way better handling. In other words, way better for a turbo project base car.

I've thrown no upgrades at this other than, lights, wheels, stereo and exhaust, all of which can be easily transferred. If I cant get to the bottom of the LHM problem then I will almost definitely go that route.

Let me know what you guys think. I like the idea of a forte being turbo because no one will expect it , while people wont be that surprised when they see an xr6 fly off from the lights. On the other hand, the XR6 is undoubtedly a better car for this type of application.

Here's a link to my LHM thread, if anyone has any pointers I would appreciate it.

post1343433.html#p1343433

Cheers

Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:
Im sure there will be a few surprised looking faces over in NZ once its up and running

Haha, no doubt! I've never seen a pre b series turbo in person in NZ, even then I've only ever seen two on trademe in my life. Definitely not a common sight

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

argh! Just as I say I've only seen 2 falcon turbos in NZ, I search XR6 on trademe and this is the third listing I see

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 917484.htm

Looks pretty bad a**.

This could be the ticket for what I'm after. I might go check it out tomorrow.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 403366.htm

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

I've decided I'm just going to slug it out with this car and not change to XR6. I'm getting someone round to do a few things to the gbox to see if they can fix it but if that doesn't work I'll take to a diagnostic workshop and start working away any fault codes until it drives sweet. It's going to need to after what has arrived in the post today! :)

Time for the big reveal.

I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed with what I got!

I've thrown in an extra photo of the car before I got, just for reference

I cant wait to tear into the car and get this bad boy spinning away. Part of me doesn't care that I'm moving, I just want to work on it!

Tough decisions...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Looks great.
The Snort stuff, when fitted and set up properly works real well.

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon AU II

NSW, Australia

looks great, good luck, i am looking to get a turbo build on my au2 forte as well hopefully by the end of the year.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:27 am 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

Transmission has been sorted and the oil cooler has been put in. The guy said he had to replace a bit of loom or something, but he basically said he went to town on it so it could have been anything.

Don't care really, its fixed and I'm happy

It's driving really great at the moment. I had my first enjoyable drive in this car last night, it actually goes really well and drives so smoothly.

I've been reading a bit about the oil cooler I put on, there seems to be a little bit of a debate as to just how effective these cooler types are.

Some as they are worse than the standard radiator integrated cooler on a lot of cars which seems wrong on so many levels, like I want my trans fluid as hot as my coolant. The other 85% say they work well so long as it has good direct air flow, which I don't doubt at all and I have that in my case.

The general consensus is that they are not quite as good as a stacked plate cooler for racing applications, as the cooling capacity is lower than a stacked plate, but the trade off is, you still have cooling at very slow speed and higher oil flow than you would with a stacked plate and good oil flow oil flow is also essential to engine and trans cooling

seems ok to me, of course I cant really know unless I put a temp sensor in but you can feel a good bit of heat off it after a drive. Guess we'll just have tool see what happens there. For added measure I could always rig a little water jet to it to spray when I want to drive it hard.

Anyway, the car will be at it's new home in less than a week. :o

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

It's better off for your auto for the fluid to be warm, rather than too cold... more damage can occur from it being too cold. Thus the reason for the standard cooler being in the radiator, to actually assist in warming of the fluid, then to hold at normal operating temp.

Can't wait to see more progress on this bad boy...

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4