Fordmods Logo

BenJ's EB DOHC T5 Ghia Wagon 

Page 128 of 201 [ 3004 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 201  Next

Post subject: Re: BenJ's EB T5 Ghia Wagon + DOHC Install Progress
Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Nice work on the updates in regards to the body kit, and I love your thinking in regards to the hydraulic clutch conversion, but I think a new master cylinder might need to be fit to the peddle to achieve what your looking for.

What about something from a Hilux, in regards to a master cyl?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:02 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If you run the BA T5 bell housing, I am guessing it bolts straight to the E series T5 and would the hydraulic thrust bearing bolt straight up inside of it and work? :?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:08 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ok updated from Page 87 :lol:

BenJ wrote:
This is an excellent mod for you Wagon Lovers out there. I wanted the ride height to look good, but it still needed to be practical. I can now carry four adults, with two large dogs, plus provisions for the dogs including a large dog crate etc, and I have not bottomed it out since installing these springs. I have also noted that the tailshaft has not hit the floor once, which was quite an issue before.

In addition, there are improvements in cornering when empty and the Wagon feels more secure and confident in all conditions now. I can also confirm a distinct lack of axle tramp under, ahh, spirited driving. The lowering blocks were really bad for this.

Looks good Ben. More factory, less modded look. Plus the added pleasure of drive-ability while still looking good.

Fantastic. Really freshens up the look of the interior and blends in with the paintwork.

BenJ wrote:
What do you all think?

I like it. The rims, headlights, front indicators all blend in great. The dish really does stand out :)

Bloody hell, This is getting interesting.

BenJ wrote:
I acquired an alternator from an AU, which bolted up, giving me the last component needed.

Nice progress Ben, very intuitive with your use of brackets to adapt older components to the front dress.

Love the what you have done here mate.

Airbags, BA turbo setup, BA Seats, Everything is looking great Ben. Good to see the body kit on the car, it looks great :)

Look forward to see your progress from here.

Cheers

Josh

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

timmytimtim wrote:
If you run the BA T5 bell housing, I am guessing it bolts straight to the E series T5 and would the hydraulic thrust bearing bolt straight up inside of it and work? :?

Cheers,
Tim

From my limited understanding you replace the bearing retainer part on the front of the T5 with the B series hydro' part and are away laughing - No clutch fork any more.

The pipes etc etc could possibly be put through a E series bellhousing if you're that way inclined.

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hey Josh

Great to hear from you again and many thanks for the kind words.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Trials, Tribulations and Tunes

I love my Wagon. I love my Wagon. I love my Wagon. If I keep saying this, it will be nice to me. Really, it will.

But sometimes my Wagon really likes to stretch the relationship.

I was being nice to the Wagon. After giving the new rotors not so long ago, I thought I could detect the faint rumble of a wheel bearing, and decided to check the bearings for play, as that can happen after things bed in.

When I was pulling of the left front wheel, I noticed a chip in the paint. Not the first one, and I expect more, and even have a paint pen to touch up such issues.

Then I noticed this.

f**k NOOOOOOOOOO!

Maybe it is just the paint!!!!! Yeah!!! That is what it is. Has to be!!!!

Hmmmm, I will check out the back of the spoke.

BUGGER!!!

I really was not happy. After all the time I invested in tracking down a single rim, stripping and painting them, only to have another rim crack was really disappointing. I decided right then, to move away from the CSA Prowlers. I have seen multiple sets on Ebay with at least one rim cracked, and I have had two crack within 13 months of each other.

The real issue for me is that in two weeks time, we are driving the Wagon up to the Sunshine Coast in QLD for holidays and Christmas with my Family.

Luckily I knew a local Fordmods member with a set of 17s up for grabs cheap. A quick phone call secured them, and I pick them up on Tuesday. Once they are fitted I will put up some pics and details.

On a much brighter note, as indicated above, my family and I are heading up to QLD for a few weeks over Christmas.

We are leaving on the 19th Dec and will be returning on the 5th Jan. Lucky me then has an additional two weeks leave to play with the BA engine. (I hope to get it installed in the test car and make a good start on the wiring)

At one point last year I got ripped off by a dodgy ebay seller when I bought a NO NAME DVD STEREO.

I ended up putting it up on a shelf thinking that one day I might risk some $$$ on it to see if it could be repaired. It has collected an impressive amount of dust.

With the long trip from Sydney to the Sunshine Coast coming up, I talked to my wife about taking it in to get looked at, and also of the option of a new one. The prices in these has dropped significantly, and I have found a local seller that I can pick up from, giving me someone to pound on if this one also died. In addition the unit I was interested in is an 'eonon' branded item, and they have a website etc with specs, manuals and pictures of installs etc, giving me a bit more faith. SWC has also had an 'eonon' double din player for a few years and has been very happy with his.

But the price was the final deciding factor. For $209 pick up, I wouldn't be risking a lot of money.

This is the unit I bought eonon d2208

It does about everything bar GPS. I now have a stand alone Navman GPS.

Enough talk, more pics.

We also have a couple of portable 12v 10inch screens for my kids to use in the back seat, so I ran a video out cable and installed a 12v socket on the back of the console area.

Not many choices to mount this sort of thing, but in this location it is out of the way, but easily accessible by myself as well as back seat passengers.

Currently doing a couple of other odd jobs in preparation for the trip, and will update soon.

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

lovin the wagon build

only one major thing that puts me off........ passenger & driver's airbags are the most basic safety feature in cars these days & are a MUST in my opinion, and i would hate to see that metal 'racing' steering wheel carve your head like a roast in the event of something unfortunate

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I understand your concern, but, this model Falcon did not have even an option of airbags. 4 years too old. First Falcon with airbags was the EF in late 94.

Some have retrofitted the airbag system along with the dash conversion, but, there are issues there as well. The front of the EB is very different structurally to an EF/EL and the crumple zones are likely to be completely incorrect for proper air bag release.

Cheers
BenJ

Last edited by BenJ on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Not to mention you dont have to deal with a crappy E series steering wheel :lol:

Shame about the rims after all the work you put in em mate. The rest might look good on a trailer. One made out of the a** end of a wagon.

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

That's a hellova shame to read about another rim cracking! You have not hit any potholes of late have you? If so, send the local council a bill for the rim & tyre.

Pitty they crack, they are sexy rims. It's making me worry about using my set now. :(

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
That's a hellova shame to read about another rim cracking! You have not hit any potholes of late have you? If so, send the local council a bill for the rim & tyre.

Pitty they crack, they are sexy rims. It's making me worry about using my set now. :(

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Damn shame, they are a nice wheel, and your extra work made them real nice.
Now I don't feel so happy with mine.....better check them out - fingers crossed. Anyone know if they are repairable in any way?

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yes, they can be repaired.

But, at around the $150 mark for them to be welded, then the need to smooth the weld on the visible face, repaint the rim, then find you have to paint the other 3 so they all match, it isn't cost effective by any description.

Then, there is the possibility that the rim you just got repaired is now more likely to crack again on either side of the repair.

Last time I sourced a good second hand for $120, but they are not all that easy to locate.

This is the reason I have elected to move on to a different set of rims.

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
BA turbo setup

After following this thread constantly (and with great interest as a wagon lover myself) i am yet to see a turbo set up on this vehicle?(did i miss something?) I did read of future plans of turbo- but no set up as of yet?

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Mont5.0 wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:
BA turbo setup

After following this thread constantly (and with great interest as a wagon lover myself) i am yet to see a turbo set up on this vehicle?(did i miss something?) I did read of future plans of turbo- but no set up as of yet?

No I just thought I read somewhere Ben is planning to put the BA turbo setup in the wagon at some point after the DOHC install.

Ben you have the manifold already?

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

Mate i aint doubting he wants to turbo it in the future.(dont we all.lol) i just hoped i hadnt missed the stage where he set it up-cause i will copy that.lol

its all good~

Sort by  
 Page 128 of 201  [ 3004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 201  Next