Fordmods Logo

ED XR6 Wagon 5 Speed Resto (Attempt) 

Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: ED XR6 Wagon 5 Speed Resto (Attempt)
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8/ED XR6 Wagon

SA, Australia

Howdy Partners. I'm new to the fordmods world and thought I'd start off by introducing myself and also showing off my Falcons. Basically been a ford man/boy/monster since birth, every car my family has owned has been a ford. (Good Choice?) I'm apprentice spray painter and have picked up a ED XR6 wagon (5 speed because how cool bananas is that) from Queensland this week which I plan to restore to it's former glory. I have seen next to none going around and I also dig wagons, more room to carry tools and for activities.... My daily is a BA XR8 5 speed. I'll try and keep this thread updated with pictures of my ED as it goes and how it was now if anyone is into looking at old faded XR6 Wagons. That's basically me. Shall post pictures of the wagon tomorrow as it only got delivered tonight. For now you can gaze at my stock standard BA, If I've managed to upload the picture correctly that is haha, Looking forward to discussing fords and ford related nonsense in the future with you all, cheers

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: ED XR6 Wagon 5 Speed Resto (Attempt)
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: XG

VIC, Australia

Sounds good man, defiantly with the 5 speed, so wish I had gotten one instead of a lame box even though I never driven a manual I so want one and force me shelf to use it :),

you happen to be a Tafe SA Croydon by any chance?

XG Ute - 3 Seater - Auto - Dual Fuel

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Nice XR boxcar. God score on the factory 5 speed.

Did they do a factory ED XR6 wagon? I've only ever seen EF's.

What's the plan? Respray since you have the knowledge and perhaps the facilities?

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

oze-ford wrote:
you happen to be a Tafe SA Croydon by any chance?

I surely am at Croydon, first year painting class, probably seen my BA in the middle of the carpark with another fg falcon next to a bunch of green Holdens haha

296 ED XR6 Wagons made. Not sure the manual build numbers though. Literally haven't seen any going around. So happy i found a 5 speed one, goes mint even with a stupid heavy duty clutch.

My boss isn't the keenest on letting people use his workshop for their homies and projects but may be able to sweet talk him into letting me paint it there. All prep and the like shall be done at home, it is possible to paint it at home or the like, but it's reallllllllllllly not the best of anyone's health or the environment haha. Also the paint will most likely come out like a dogs breakfast

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Oh yeah see ya car again today, mine over the entrance, I'm here has a cert 2 in automotive mechanical, currently doing the brake pad piston tool.

Will have to say hi when I see you whenever

Looking forward on seeing the wagon at *tafe* one day

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Nah, you don't see too many ED XR6 wagons getting around, but the ones I remember all seem to be your colour - polynesian green.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BF F6 Typhoon. XP Van.XF Hearse

NSW, Australia

I've had 3 ED XR6 wagons over the years..

Black ED XR wagon - 5 speed

Cobalt Blue ED XR wagon - 5 speed

Cobalt Blue ED XR wagon - auto

Currently own a manual EF XR6 wagon - Cobalt Blue. Have owned it for 11 years, came factory fitted with 3 way venetian blinds & colour coded exterior windscreen sunvisor...

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Family friend had a white auto.

Definitely very rare!

Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Nah, you don't see too many ED XR6 wagons getting around, but the ones I remember all seem to be your colour - polynesian green.

Correct, for a green it's a pretty nice colour, hopefully once it's all done it shall come up pretty smicko.

xpvanman wrote:
I've had 3 ED XR6 wagons over the years..

Black ED XR wagon - 5 speed

Cobalt Blue ED XR wagon - 5 speed

Cobalt Blue ED XR wagon - auto

Currently own a manual EF XR6 wagon - Cobalt Blue. Have owned it for 11 years, came factory fitted with 3 way venetian blinds & colour coded exterior windscreen sunvisor...

Colbat blue that's niceeeee man. Also factory fitted venetians? That's legit.

Update from today, Went to the wreckers to find a centre console lid and the lower plastic garnish thing for the tailgate, both were missing from my wagon. Found two in suprsingly good condition and picked them up for $50. Wasn't terribly happy about the price but s**t happens and the centre console lid is actually mint. On the photos that I said I would put up.... My phone is in for repairs and while there are 1000 cameras around my house there are no SD cards or camera cords to be found. Soon the photos will be up. The one I've got up there now doesn't really show how much work is needed, the doors are fine, everything else panel wise the clear coat is delaminated and there are more chips in the car then A Maccas deep frier during peak hour.

Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Nicko93 wrote:
Correct, for a green it's a pretty nice colour, hopefully once it's all done it shall come up pretty smicko.
I think the biggest let down on those cars is the faded red (pink) strips.
I've tried sanding/polishing, etc, doesn't last. I think best fix is plastic primer, and some red with flex add mixed in.
Restoring an EFXR6 wagon myself currently - same scenario, bonnet clear gonsky, front guard tops same, roof clear deteriorated. Some cancer patches here and there, but considering the age of the car and the average treatment, it's actually not too bad.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 04 ba wagon

NSW, Australia

I too own an ef xr6 wagon but as the body is a mess its just sitting out the back as I have my daily ef fairmont wagon that gets most of my attention and time. As I wouldn't find some one with a passion for wagons like mine to buy the body its undecided what will become of it. Ill either use the numbers to make the fairmont the genuine xr, cut it up to make a trailer or just scrap it.

I'm currently selling the xr interior here in nsw if any one would be interested as I have modified rear leathers and saas bucket seats in the front and el gia door trims I have no need for it so I'm open to offers via PM.

Waiting ancsiously to see more pics and the work your doing.

..wagonstyle..
04 ba wagon, manual conversion, pacemaker extractors, custom exhaust, m86lsd, full electric window conversion, dual zone icc, gt front end with body kit getting made

Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
I think the biggest let down on those cars is the faded red (pink) strips.
I've tried sanding/polishing, etc, doesn't last. I think best fix is plastic primer, and some red with flex add mixed in.

It's doing my head in aswell haha those goddamn strips. The front and rear bar trip/moulds are fade to hell, the doors are actually in extremely good condition and won't be touching them. While I was at the wreckers I saw an ED Classic with full red striped mold trims in really good condition, can't find a wagon with it on though as I seriously need new bars and molds.

Worst part of my wagon is since it lived on the gold coast the sill panels are unsaveable. I can almost fit my whole hand through a rust hole in it. Custom panel patching work coming up soon. Haven't done any welding or metal work for 5 years, shall be an interesting experience.

Pictures shall be soon........(bare with me)

Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey man what wreckers do you go to?

Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 04 ba wagon

NSW, Australia

It's unconventional but I have seen peanut butter do amazing things to the side strips, brought them back to near new.

..wagonstyle..
04 ba wagon, manual conversion, pacemaker extractors, custom exhaust, m86lsd, full electric window conversion, dual zone icc, gt front end with body kit getting made

Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, but those fixes don't last.

If your side moulds are still on securely, don't try to take them off. Do all your work by masking up, etc. I've tried a lot of double sided tape types - none of them (including 3M) hold a candle to the stuff Ford use - which isn't 3M I'm lead to believe.
My sills are good - bit of cancer each far side of the ventilation plenum shelf - mainly from leaf buildup - noticed that when guards were off.
So treated the cause - flyscreen panels glued to the underside of the windscreen wiper grille.

I will look at the sill drains and see if they need enlarging.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next