Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Jesse's G6E and EF Fairmont
Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:16 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: FG G6E/EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey all,

Thought I'd throw together a bit of a "build" thread, I use the term build loosely as I've not done a great deal so far...

Anyway.

Bought this baby in September 2010 after unfortunately writing off my old R31 Skyline. I stumbled across it in a car yard and thought it was worth a look. Took it for a spin and absolutely loved it, ended up buying it the next day.

Attachment:
110920101460.jpg

Attachment:
110920101461.jpg

Took it home a few days later and they'd swapped the factory alloys for some EL Sapphire ones (presumably to avoid buying new tyres) so this is what it looked like the day it came home, and for a few weeks thereafter, apart from the rear louver coming off.

Attachment:
220920101492.jpg

First thing I did was a new head unit, a Pioneer with iPod compatibility, all I really needed but nothing fancy.
A mate gave me some Sony Xplod 4 Way speakers which we put in the back, they do the job quite well and for boring speakers they actually give a decent sound.
Awhile later I did the front speakers, Jensen coaxials with the tweeters mounted on the door trim sails. I left the factory tweeters in the dash, although I really don't think they do much now anyway!

I've always been a fan of the NF/NL & DF/DLs, so I started collecting bits..

Chrome doorhandles and also the 'F' badges that I pulled from an EL Fairmont

Attachment:
IMG_0234.JPG

Cornering lamps from an NL (which still aren't yet wired up - slack, I know.. I just want them as driving lights)

Attachment:
IMG_0007.JPG

(to be continued - apparently 5 photos is enough for one post)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Build" Thread: the-garage-f53/jesse-s-g6e-and-ef-fairmont-t103265.html

Last edited by wolfiekun on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: wolfiekun's EF Fairmont
Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

And finally a chrome handbrake button, gearstick button, gear shifter stalk and nut - also a silver transmission surround from a fellow FordModder.

Attachment:
IMG_0594.JPG

I also put in a little switch to control the antenna - when we replaced the head unit we hooked up the power antenna wire to the Amp remote wire, so it worked fine but I didn't want it going up and down all the time when I was listening to my iPod 99% of the time anyway.

I haven't got a photo but it's a little rocker switch that I fitted under the ashtray, I just cut a hole in that piece of the console and it sits up there out of view.

A few months back I could hear a hole in the exhaust somewhere, perfect excuse for a 2.5" catback system.

I gotta say my favourite part is the twin chrome tips.

Attachment:
IMG_0500.JPG

Somewhere in there we had a bit of a milestone:

Attachment:
IMG_0705.JPG

The only thing I've done since then was finally get some different rims (and some white mirrors appeared at some stage)

Attachment:
IMG_0994.JPG

EL XR6 rims with BF Goodrich tyres - a massive improvement over the balding Goodyear Eagle GA's that were on there before, it actually handles in the wet now which is awesome.

Still got a bit of work to do, I'm going for tinted windows, clear side repeaters, maybe lower it a bit.

But it is a daily...between uni and work and somewhat of a social life I can't afford to have it off the road for longer than about 5 minutes it seems.

Anyway, it's up to 208,400km now and I gotta say, after almost 8 months and almost 24,000km I don't think I could be happier with this car. It's been super reliable (apart from regular servicing, I've split 2 small coolant hoses, total cost about $10), it's brilliant to drive, especially cruising down the freeway, and just in general I absolutely love it!

So....

what next?

Jesse

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by wolfiekun on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: wolfiekun's EF Fairmont
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Keep up the good work.

And yeh spend only what ya can and dont fall in love with it or will cost ya as much as a real woman :wink:

Haha amen! Thanks man.

So today, I stuck on some BF Ghia badges on the front guards, just because aside from the leather seats, I pretty much have all the Ghia goodies.

I thought the BF Ghia badges might look cleaner than the older style ones, but I'm not 100% sure I like them just yet!

Attachment:
IMG_1190.JPG

Aaaaaaaand another recent picture, because I like this one. (and yes I still have my AFD sticker on...that really needs to come off)

Attachment:
IMG_1130.JPG

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Looks good. I'd lose the Ghia badges though.

Drop it and tint it next? :D

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
Looks good. I'd lose the Ghia badges though.

Drop it and tint it next? :D

Yeah the badges didn't come out as good as I thought haha. Those are definitely on my to-do list, I gotta find a good tinting place..I've got uni holidays coming up so I'll be able to pull some money together and get it done.

Post subject: wolfiekun's EF Fairmont - ignition leads?
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

So I finally got around to replacing my ignition leads, took off the air box/intake piping and it was pretty straightforward, the car is running better for the most part but twice now on a cold start it has kicked over but not idled, and stalled. Yesterday it took me 4 goes to get it to idle, with some revs as encouragement.

Is this likely to be because of the leads? I didn't bleed the air out of the coil ends (even though the box said...) so I'm thinking maybe that's why.

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:18 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Blue cluster!
I haven't done the odometer (obviously) and I think I'll leave it for the time being. I don't mind the orange.
I just used a 6x LED kit from eBay, it seems to be relatively even light and it looks good I think.

Attachment:
IMG_7333.jpg

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:17 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
I was gonna go down the blue LED cabin thing but was both too much hassle and i dont mind the normal lights in the first place.

Yeah, I was thinking I might do a white LED thing actually, I think I'd prefer that to blue but I dunno, I'll just have to try it I guess. I wanna do the other parts of the dash as well, just gotta make some time after exams.

DBA slotted rotors are on the cards too, for the front at least. Taking a trip to Sydney in a few weeks and I wanna have a little more confidence when I put my foot down.

How's your car going by the way? I've been following your insurance issues until recently, I shall check for updates haha.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:37 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2010 G6E

VIC, Australia

need to get you them lights wired up and some clear repeaters, although the repeaters i have are a little different in shape, as your surround doesn't completely surround them like el ones do. :S
you never told me about the exhaust, very nice taste. :mrgreen:

be good or be good at it.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Nice fairmnot. Will look good when it's lowered .
Also with the tweeters you could put them under the crash pad ( on top of the dash)
It's where the factory tweeters are and it's where I got mine.

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Also with the tweeters you could put them under the crash pad ( on top of the dash)

Cheers, I hope I can get it done fairly soon.. first I've gotta pay bloody insurance that's due this week, but I've got more work coming up so as soon as I've got the money it'll be done.

I was gonna put the tweeters there but decided I had no idea of where the wiring would have to go so I was lazy and didn't bother..but the factory tweeters are still in there and still work (yeah they don't do much) BUT technically now I have 8 speakers. Haha. Also I think you might be the one who's after my door trims :P

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

teeroy wrote:
need to get you them lights wired up and some clear repeaters, although the repeaters i have are a little different in shape, as your surround doesn't completely surround them like el ones do. :S
you never told me about the exhaust, very nice taste. :mrgreen:

Yeah, there was a white EL Mont at Pick a Part in Kilsyth months ago that I got bits off (mirror, door lock things, etc) and a few weeks ago I thought I'd go and get the surrounds off that in preparation for clear repeaters but the damn thing was gone! :( it was a sad day.

I think I tried to send you a photo of the exhaust the day I got it done but that was when my phone was going through this whole not-sending-photos thing, so I guess you didn't get it!

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

wolfiekun wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:

Cheers, I hope I can get it done fairly soon.. first I've gotta pay bloody insurance that's due this week, but I've got more work coming up so as soon as I've got the money it'll be done.

I was gonna put the tweeters there but decided I had no idea of where the wiring would have to go so I was lazy and didn't bother..but the factory tweeters are still in there and still work (yeah they don't do much) BUT technically now I have 8 speakers. Haha. Also I think you might be the one who's after my door trims :P

I just shoved the wiring down the gap in the dash until it popped out where the head deck is. That's where my splitter boxers are, up under the ash tray .

So their your door trims I just bidded on ? Lol
I'm currently doing a rear power windows conversion in my XR . So I'll need fairmont door trims .

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Ahhhh, clever. Mine are.. inside the doors I think.

Yep, that's them! Depending on how soon you need them, I am planning a drive up to Sydney again in the next month or so, if the timing works out I'm happy to bring them up with me and drop them off on my way.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I won't need them anytime soon . But I should have the p/w gear by next week or week after next.
I'll see what happens .

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next