Fordmods Logo

kawi's EA with AU XR6 

Page 4 of 10 [ 144 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Post subject: Re: kawi's EA with AU XR6
Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:18 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA, EB GT kit, AU XR6 HP engine

QLD, Australia

Sommers NL wrote:
is your converter in right? it should go in with a "click" and should spin freely maybe try turning the converter by hand and make sure it goes in all the way by pushing it, if its just sitting on the spine, its not in right, and your dowels on the bellhousing / engine won't go together.

Laticia.

Yeah, the converter's on the engine right. It's bolted up. It's not in the Trans yet. I'm gunna get a new sump and try and put the transmission on the back the way you and Ben J said, by taking the converter off the engine, putting it in the trans and then bolting the trans up and then doing the converter up.

EA Fairmont, EB GT kit w/o wing, AU XR6 HP engine, 17's lol Buy it
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0628130825

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 NL, 97NL, 98EL

Power: 141 rwkw

QLD, Australia

thats your problem having the converter on the motor.

BANNED!!!!

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:19 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Sommers NL wrote:
thats your problem having the converter on the motor.

Call me stupid (because I am) lol, but I don't get why it won't go on if the converters out of the trans and on the engine. Because when you put the trans in, the converter is still as close to the engine as it can get? Could someone explain?

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

It will be to do with the spline on the inside of the convertor not 'sliding/clicking' in correctly.

When sliding the convertor on to the box, you are able to rotate it easily to make sure it 'goes home' all the way.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:12 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Sorry I haven't been on in a few days, I've been pretty busy.

We got the engine in the other day, thanks Ben J for giving me enough reason to believe it will go in with the gearbox. Bent the bit of metal that the rubber seal goes on near the firewall, but bent that back easily. Looks great in there.

Last night I took my mum to the movies to see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, because it was her birthday and there was a midnight screening. Didn't get home until 4 and overslept, so I stayed home and worked a bit on the car when I woke up.

I got the tailshaft in, the cat and exhaust bolted up, the hard pan bar or w/e it's called back on (we had to drop it down because the sump/bellhousing was resting on it when we were trying to lower the engine in.

Then I sikaflexed some stuff back up.

It's really starting to look like a car again, Muzza's smartlock module should be here by tomorrow and we are going to work more on the wiring so it should be running on fuel by the weekend.

Pretty damn stoked! Can't wait.

Have a tiny problem, though. I put a pod on there and it's sandwiched between the gas mixer and the passenger side headlight. There's not much room to make a box for a CAI. What would you guys do?

I'll see if I can get some pics up tonight.

Thanks everyone!

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:34 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Ok everyone, sorry I've been slack with pics and stuff and haven't taken many, these will have to do for now.

Had to get the rocker cover off to get the clearance we needed to drop it in with the gearbox. This was because the crane wasn't in the best of places.

Here it is with the rocker cover back on

Today, in the daylight

Now, as you guys can see, there isn't a ton of room for any sort of box to be fabricated. I want a CAI, we've busted our a** doing this flying blind and I think a pair of 17 year olds have done a good job, so I want to top it off properly.

How would you guys do a proper CAI? I was thinking running piping from the TB down to the wheel well, having a box there with a bod, then another big bit of piping going to the front bar for extra air.

That might be doable, but at the same time I'd like something in the bay for aesthetics.

Does anyone know of LOWXR ? It's an EB fairmont with a sprint kit and an AU engine. It's got some similarities mechanically to mine, eventually this build will get a T5.

Anyway, what I was wondering is....

LOWXR is in issue 04 of street fords. It has an AU engine and the same log style manifold as mine and from the TB there is a short piece of alloy piping that's bent and goes directly to a pod that isn't in a box.

Street fords said it was a custom cold air intake. IF I ran mine like it is, it would pretty much be the same, but I can't see much benefit from it sucking warm air, although it is pretty shielded by the converter.

IF this was your car, what would you do for an airfilter set up?

Cheers everyone, hope you're all enjoying my build :D

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hmmm, personally I would recommend using the factory airbox with an XH snorkle, but with the location of the LPG Convertor, I don't think it will fit.

You could drill a big hole through the bottom there and mount the pod pointing straight down towards the road. Wet weather might be an issue though.

Here in NSW it is illegal to run a pod filter exposed in the engine bay like that, so please check the local rules in NZ while you work out what to do.

Engine looks good finally installed in the EA. Well done.

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:14 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED, EB11, 351 XF

New Zealand

I think he lives in Australia not NZ but i could be wrong :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

duvauchellemotors wrote:

OK, fair enough. Not sure where I got that impression from LOL.

BenJ

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:31 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

BenJ wrote:
duvauchellemotors wrote:

OK, fair enough. Not sure where I got that impression from LOL.

BenJ

Haha yeah, QLD mate. My Girlfriend is from NZ, though haha.

I'll have a think about what to do with it. Might leave it like that just to drive it around. Also, about the air filter... It can be outside of a box as long as it's secured in Queensland.

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:19 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Well everyone, the car is ready to be cranked after a few things have been done....

We tried last night, no luck.... The starter motor isn't cranking when you turn the key, I know it works though because you can get a set of pliers on the terminal and it will crank. I don't think it's earthed properly?

The other problem we have is a tiny wiring problem, not really a wiring problem, more of a pain in the A$$. In the dash, there's a plug that connects to the loom that comes from the boot. It connects to the fuel pump plug... The plug that we are looking for is up in the dash somewhere. It looks like as we put it in, the plug has been pushed up inside. Gotta get that out.

I was putting the rear bar on (had to drop the fuel tank to swap fuel pumps and the GT bar was in the way) and while doing it up, I saw the upper control arm bushes.... They were f**k! The passenger side upper rear bush was nearly gone and the drivers side upper front bush wasn't even there, it was just the bolt and pin in the eye of the arm..... :O I am no good with wiring, so I went over to the EB and luckily the bushes on the eb were fine, so I swapped arms :D

Here are some pictures!

Here is the drivers side upper control arm, this is where the front bush is meant to be....

Here is the passanger side upper arms rear bush, much better than the drivers side front but still ruined completely and utterly...

Here is the engine bay all wired up, looks like crap atm. I just want to get it running and then I'll tidy up the wiring.

Sorry for the poor pictures, the only camera I have is my phone and it's the reason why most of these pics in this thread aren't that great. They come up OK sometimes, though.

NOW, for the good news, apart from fixing the knocking noise from the bushes, I looked at the eb for the first time properly and it has Munroe shocks ALL AROUND!!!! The fronts are lowere springs and shocks and the rears are Munroe, too. A friend of mine has some springs for the rear of my car that are lowered, so they will be going in. Finally getting the falcon DUMPED!!!!!!!!

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:30 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

lol you didnt have to remove the fuel tank to change the fuel pump there is a plate in the boot that you remove to get access to the top of the tank...

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:46 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Yeah, I know that. In the EB it was so covered in dust that the dust had set and turned into like a rock.... So we dropped that tank.

The EA tank had the hose clamp on it, but it was in a PITA position and it didn't want to come off, so we just dropped it. Either way, I'm glad, otherwise I wouldn't have had the motivation to change the arms.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:52 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Well due to an accident that was my fault, I have had to put this on hold :( I hit my mates car and basically wrote it off, the front of my ute has seen better days and I'm left without a daily and in tons of debt.

Should be running in the next couple of weeks hopefully :( I've had to sell stuff that I was going to sell for an exhaust and a T5 :( :( :( :(

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:20 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Well we had a quick look at the EA the other day. Turns out the solenoid wire wasn't connected to the fuse block where the relay is, it was just sitting underneath it broken. We fixed that and we can get the solenoid to tick over if we bridge the relay terminals (the engine doesn't crank because there's something wrong with the starter motor, I have a few more though). But we can't get it to crank with the relay in the terminals because the relay isn't getting power when the ignition is turned on for some reason.

So if worse comes to worse, we are going to put a button under the dash and use that to start it if need be. Then we need to connect the fuel pump up and we should be good to go.

Went to swap the munroe shocks off the EB onto the EA last weekend but we didn't have an 18mm socket anywhere in sight so we gave up lol. Next weekend we will hopefully!

Will be really excited on having a daily again, it's hard living so far away and relying on borrowed family cars all the time when someone might need it that day.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 10  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next