Fordmods Logo

"LTD-XTC" Now with 18x10" Rears 

Page 3 of 42 [ 618 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42  Next

Post subject: Re: LTDXTC Build thread-problem's help urgent please!
Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Bugger! That sucks mate, hope you can sort something out. I have been watching this transformation very closely as I too have considered the manual conversion, but I think I will just stick with the auto cruiser because when problems like this come up with me, my short temper means things get broken :roll:
Good luck with getting it all sorted :wink:

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

NCIILANE wrote:
Bugger! That sucks mate, hope you can sort something out. I have been watching this transformation very closely as I too have considered the manual conversion, but I think I will just stick with the auto cruiser because when problems like this come up with me, my short temper means things get broken :roll:
Good luck with getting it all sorted :wink:

Yeah cheers mate, real pain in the a*** this is being, If the sedan shaft fit's, i'm fine as i can just cut a hole in the tunnel for the shifter and then invert the shifter stick as it can be mounted either way, facing forward or back. Best option would be to get another tail shaft with output shaft and final gear etc etc, but i think that would start to get messy. Felt like booting the f**k thing, but i know from experience that doesn't help lol. Could sell the box but there are no E series boxes anywhere for me to buy, the guy that sold me it must have known, too bad he shafted me on the flywheel too, was meant to get a new billet wheel, but only got used standard. My advice for you mate, stick with what you have lol

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Right, here is what the plan is, i need to get an AU V8 sandwich plate, and i have a sedan steel driveshaft sitting here that i can use in the mean time until i find an alloy one. Then i will need to cut a 10cm slice in the tunnel so i can fit the shifter in, then i need to invert the shifter stick (it just bolts on around the other way) so hopefully, it will still sit where it should in the console. Anybody else got any ideas? I'm open to swapping them this for an E series T5 lol

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by XFWAGON on Wed May 06, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Bloody stoked, got off my a** and went out to the car and had a looksie, i put the console in place to see how it would pan out, actually sits better WITH the AU gearbox! see pics, basically by the box being 5-10cm back, it puts the shift stick in the correct position for the gearboot. ripper!, now i have to cut the hole and fill in the gap to make it look stock.
as you can see by the pictures. Boring to some people but makes me feel better!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Brilliant.

I knew you could work it out. Well done.

So the sedan tailshaft fits in fine? You can get alloy versions. The XR sedans had an alloy one from factory.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Well mate, from what i have measured it looks like it will fit, i have an old EB steel one here, the LTD one is only about 5cm too long, so the sedan one will fit, but i may have to make up a 2cm alloy plate that goes between the diff mount and the drive shaft, kind of sandwiched in between. am currently trying to find an alloy one, but XR8 parts in NZ are slim pickings. Biggest priority right now for me is getting a sandwich plate, as the flywheel/clutch will have to come off again, once thats all done i can start putting the interior back together and then worry about the drive shaft. Was highly considering selling the box and trying to find an E series one, but i think in the long run the AU box will be better due to being newer etc.

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Well i bought a new sandwich plate to the tune of $130, f**k it, but ah well. So that should be arriving so i can start to get things moving, the week long rain storm has ended, but looks to be returning so hopefully the plate gets here quick. Am getting a guy up in Auckland to cut me out a piece of the trans tunnel so i can make it look as if i never even cut into the tunnel in the first place (safe guard against anal WOF'ers). He is also setting me up with some EF mirrors and window seals, as i broke off my passenger mirror and i don't want to waste my money on another boxcar mirror.

Now this is a bit off topic, but what sort of headers can i get that will do two jobs, i still have the E7's so obviously i want them to fit that, but once i have some more cash i also want to buy some Ported GT40p's or some new alloy ones, and i will want the headers to fit them also, I would like some pacies or the likes, just wondering who knows how interchangeable these are?

Post subject: Re: (-----------LTDXTC Build thread-----------)
Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

On the topic of the driveshaft issue, i have two options, Buy Ashcook's EF XR shaft, or buy an NU shaft. EF shaft= 1550 NU shaft= 1650

Seeing sunshine for the first time in god knows how long, so jumped out there and compared measurements, as you can see in the pics, the DC shaft is only about 2cm at max too long, I was thinking i could put the EF shaft in but that will be about 10cm too short.... :roll:

So i got a hold of a falcon wrecker, and he said the NU shaft is 1650 long, and i thought crap its the same length as my DC one, but then i realized he was prob measuring the Auto shaft, which means with a T5 yoke on the end it will be the right size, correct? as the T5 yokes are about 2cm shorter than the auto yokes.

What y'all reckon aye?

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

hey mate how are you, I used my Auto shaft when I converted my lane to manual. So I am under the impression that the auto and manual shafts are the same length, so I would still use Ash's sedan one and do like you said and make a plate the right width to fill in the gap at the diff and use longer bolts.

Josh

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Would the plate put it off balance? Would kind of just be elongating the diff mount, thats all....

Last edited by XFWAGON on Sat May 21, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:31 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

You would need to get it machined up, and if i was making it i would machine the spiggot that goes into the recess in the diff on one side and in turn machine a recess that will fit the spiggot on the driveshaft mounting plate, drill the holes on a mill using a digital readout. so if it was done that way there would be no problems with it being out of balance. and i would not make it out of alloy, too soft. I would make it out of high tensile steel or stainless.

Josh

[Edit] I realise this would not be the cheapest way out of it, but it depends witch way you want to go about it. In my opinion this would be the best way out of it. Unless you feel you want to shorten your drive shaft, witch will need balancing after wards.

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Right, i think i have sorted it, i measured it all up today, and with the measurements the wrecker gave me, it is the correct length (funny that, being the gearbox is out of the same year of car).

The shaft he has (auto yoke, 2cm longer in the tip) was measured at 1650mm, the shaft i have measured in at 1670mm with T5 yoke (2cm shorter in the tip) So once i put the T5 yoke onto the NU shaft, wa lah! it is the correct length, because as you can see from the pics, it is only too long by about 2-3cm. So i'm going with that plan now, if it turns to s**t, i will go back to plan A and grab Ash's one and build a plate.

Pulled most of the old intake off today ready for the explorer (skipped Uni to make the most of the sunlight! :twisted: )

Now, how do you get the injector plugs off and how do you get the fuel lines apart?

Note to self, do not undo passengers side coolent sensor without draining fluid first, makes a hell of a mess.

Last edited by XFWAGON on Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Got my Driveshaft in the mail today, Fat bastard too, quite a bit chunkier than the DC version, but it certainly is the goods, i tested it with the auto yoke on it, went into the Gearbox fine, but was still a fraction too long.

Last edited by XFWAGON on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: LTDXTC Build thread >>>New pic's<<<
Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

good to see you have worked it out.

At the very least I would replace the rotor button and cap off you distributor.

Josh

Post subject: Re: LTDXTC Build thread >>>New pic's<<<
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Bummer.....big bummer. Doesnt fit........ it is still a fraction out, i mean literally a fraction, as in about 3mm. i could pry it up onto the diff, but then i think it would sit too hard against the box. Oh well, shortening time.

Pulled the rest of the intake off today seeing we had some sunshine.

Last edited by XFWAGON on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 42  [ 618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42  Next