My new 'blank canvas' 

Page 2 of 24 [ 357 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next

Post subject: Re: My new 'blank canvas'
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

Just agreed on a 3" stock xr6t exhaust system, so thats another thing ticked off the list. basic for now, but gotta start somewhere.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

Want an under drive kit that's only 1000km? Selling parts off the car after last nights issues.

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Issues?

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

Read my build thread. Over f**k around with fixing s**t.

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Link or name of thread. Having a blonde moment, can't find it.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Right just editted the start of my thread to update the research i have done... if you want to help out please have a read through and offer any feed back you can think of please... cause i am just fumbling through this whole thing by internet searchs or dodge mates opinions... WE ALL THINK WE ARE MECHANICS :roll:

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 2004 ba xr6 turbo

NSW, Australia

lol, youre doing what I have already done... i can be your bible if you wish, i can help u out...lol

FIRST THINGS FIRST, purchase the turbo kit, because it wont arrive for about 4 months, the guy from snort Geoff, is a cool guy, but he did stuff me around with estimated delivery times of the kit, originally he said 3- 5 weeks, after trying to call him after week 7 he started with the excuses, as i was expecting, then, completely ignored my phone calls till about week 9 I contacted him via this website, writing a complaint, he called me with in 2 hrs and it was on its way, in 2 parts, 1 i received on week 10 and the other on week 13, i think he just takes on too much work at a time and tries to pump out the kits, and gets behind, at the end of the day i got the kit, and i was very impressed with it, so u take the good with the bad i spose...

and if your cousin thinks hes running 235 kw, tell him hes joking, on a STOCK vy ss..... if its at the motor, then that is believable, but if that is at the tyres, then that is bull s**t. The things lucky to run a high 14 down the quater. LOL, this kit on your car untuned will beat ur cousins s**t box commodore, dont worry about that.

u will need to upgrade the diff AND tail shaft, and AT LEAST install a trans cooler on the box if u want it to hold up for a while.

any questions u have just shoot em up, and ill hook u up the best i can, the hardest part of the install for u will be swapping the sump over, OR taking your sump off, to drill it out for the oil return line, thats the only thing i didnt do my self, i got the mechanic to swap sumps for me, i bought another one and modified it, and just had them swapped over..

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

You have no idea what you just signed up for lol I'll have plenty of questions don't you worry about that...
Though, don't hold your breath... I won't have the coin for a while yet, plus I want to have everything else done first. So I'm completely ready to bolt it on and go...

Right, so diff (and consequently will have to do driveshafts) and trans cooler. Have to get researching on those to add to the list.
Did you do much internal engine work to prepare for the turbo?

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah right, your build.. I have looked through it before... But will need to have a good detailed read. Will get back to you once I've read through it... I'm sure ill have some questions.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:52 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Na man no internal work, just pretty much slapped the kit on and went from there, those motors can handle some decent numbers, mines pushing 247 at the tyres, and its holding up fine, ull just need the tail shaft, diff and box sorted before anything else, the tail shafts on the XR turbos are thicker than the standard ones, and if u can find an XR turbo diff u can chuck it in and then do the trans cooler, those three things should be and can be done first, u won't be able to chuck the bigger pump in until u want it tuned, I put the pump in mine thinking that was one thing I could cross of the list, till I started it and drove it, coughing and spluttering everywhere black smoke too it was undrivable the pump was too big. Only now it works with the tune...

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Rightio, well internally I'm just going to do cam and valve springs for the time being.
Well maybe cam, but definitely valve springs.

Have to look into diff, they are pretty expensive yeah? $1000 for second hand fg xr6t setup? Or more?
Trans cooler, looking into now. Maybe PWR setup... I don't know, gotta look into the cost of modifying the snort package. Maybe get a bargain elsewhere for trans/intercooler.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

just hop on ebay and buy a generic trans cooler, then get some transmission hose, its like 10 bucks a meter, u need at least 2 meters and lots of hose clamps, its very easy to do. ud have to go see some wreckers about a diff, not too sure on how much they go for, but i sorta did mine backwards, just slapped the kit on and modified s**t after wards, if u only wanna push small numbers like 200 - 250 rwkws then just slap the kit on , most of the gear will hold up anyways, its only when u push it into the 300 + u need to start getting hektos with everything, just get yours made to lsd, and slap the transcooler on, and run 5-7 psi thru it, u shouldnt have any props, then u can go from there, if u spend all the time and effort upgrading diff, box, shaft, cams, springs, ect.. u may end up not putting the turbo on for some unforseen circumstance, and u did all that work for nothing, its only if u wanna absolutely thrash it, day in and day out, then i would say strengthen everything up, but if your just gonna cruise it with an odd squirt here and there dont bother .. .yet..

get your self a set of bosch 42 lb injectors, a standard xr6 turbo fuel reg, and a 255l p/h walbro fuel pump or equivalent, a standard xr6 turbo MAP sensor, call CAPA send them the details of your car, fuel set up, turbo size, all the specs of as much as u can think of get him to send the tune to you with a MAP sensor converter plug and away u go, he charged me $100 for my tune, which made 231 rwkw, then i had it tweaked a bit to push 247....

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i like the way you think... now just gotta get the coin together to get this stuff on the road. hmm well fuel pump should be next. got fg xr6t injectors, just gotta get xr6t fuel reg... then thats fuel system complete... one thing to tick off the list.

tune... well that is a s**t load easier then i thought... cheers for that...
umm yeah well now its just work my a** off and get the coin to order the main parts... finish the fuel, the kit, intercooler piping, umm trans cooler, keep looking around for m86 w/ everything else, tune, etc... doesnt seem so scary now you say that...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Yeah man, when I first started, I had little knowledge of how a turbo worked, all I knew was it makes the car go faster lol... Now I know quite a bit, at least about how a basic turbo set up works and what is needed to get one up and running, I literally dived into a black abyss, but with time, and help from friends and this web site, I managed to get it going, looking back at how "scary" it seemed then makes me laugh now at how simple it actually is .... If u have the right amount of funds available, in total I spent about $4500 getting the kit on the car and running, ( i only had the stage 2 kit for $2999) and have spent like another $1500 over time on extra parts, tuning, ect.. That aren't required to get it up and running, so don't be scared man it's a fun project to undertake in my opinion

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 24  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next