Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Froudey's New Rust Fix started... sorta lol
Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Froudey wrote:
I went out my old man's place today and started to cut up the old ef he has.

Went thru a couple cutting blades etc will post pics up soon....

this arvo after work I thought f**k it. and pulled the carpet out and seats, pulled the cluster out and looked at these dodgy wires...

I found a tiny spot of rust under the car (nothing a can of kill rust and a plate of metal can't fix).

I been trying to post pictures back some one *looks at missus always seem to have used the battery power taking photo's of the kids.

Man so much dirt and s**t under carpet it isn't funny, I will be replacing the carpet with an ef carpet... (will measure and cut the sedan carpet in half.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Post subject: Re: Froudey's Datsun 720 Progress - Sorta
Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok, so over the last week sfa has happened til the other day. No Rain :D

First I went to SCA and brought a cheap angle grinder and a couple of discs etc...

I cut the mangled mess that I had created playing around etc..

All Cleaned up.

The Replacement bit. (bit of ef rear drivers side quarter area cut)

A while ago I removed the interior carpet and seats...

I also cut the bit of rust outta the bonnet for s**t and giggles really...

I got underneath the rear today and looks like I need to rewire the reverse lights and possibly brake lights.... Image

I got underneath the tray and saw that it is bassically held on with large guarge tie wire... hmmm

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Post subject: Re: Nissan Datsun 720. Power?
Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok Peps...

I havn't done much except for get the angle grinder and clean up some surface spots of rust etc. Found a badly patched bit of area that needs to be fixed or body filled up flat.

I was wondering how could one get more power of out the little motor? Not like I want to race BA falcons and commodores it isn't another EA vs BA conquest. But what should one do? Exhaust, new air filter, performance leads and plugs, coil???

I am off to Orange Wreckers on Sunday to look at a new combination switch and I have read on random threads and forsale sites etc that the floor pan in the 720 is the same as the one in the R31 pintara/skyline. I will have alook take my tape measure and if all the holes for the seats line up I will purchase some seats and or new carpet... hell maybe even a centre console out of one...

Any ideas or suggestions on getting a smoother more chirpy preformance,

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Black EB 5 Speed EL Front End

QLD, Australia

get a full spool for a bit of fun. my brother had a 81 2wd hilux with a full spool and territory rims and used to throw it out sideways at 120

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Put a RB30 in it.
In all seriousness bu the time you find and then spend big on performance mods for the old motor you will get an efficient , fuel injected motor in it that has a good amount of stick , get better results and more then likely have change in your pocket.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

if you are gonna use the rb30 put the rb25 head on it

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Put a RB30 in it.
In all seriousness bu the time you find and then spend big on performance mods for the old motor you will get an efficient , fuel injected motor in it that has a good amount of stick , get better results and more then likely have change in your pocket.

I will be putting something in it when the little motor dies etc as I want to like try and "restore it" to a point that I can keep for a long time and when the motor does in fact die I want to try and put a ca18de or det in it.. or V8 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (too extreme lol)

I don't want extreme power or anything not expecting huge increases etc... Just want people to pretty much confirm what is in my head etc...

Exhaust, new air filter possible a brand name filter made for this style of carby. Plugs and leads etc. I know that this is a carby motor and until replace or upgrade to efi it is a stupid question etc.

surely that simple stuff would give it a poofteenth more power... (and items are pretty much miscellanous stuff that isn't that expensive to replace with better quailty gear etc)

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

No doubt it will help to a point.
A better flowing air cleaner and some extractors is a good place to start. If it needs a new exhaust get a big one put on. Get an electronic ignition kit too would be money wisely spent.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

throw it o the dyno and take it to the strip just for a laugh

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

jerrytorry wrote:
throw it o the dyno and take it to the strip just for a laugh

line up to a v8 commordore or falcon lmao... that would be pretty funny... and hilourious if the falcon or commordore missed a gear or something and won the 1/8 mile we have out here lol

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Hey Froudey check out this link for a few ideas hehehe http://nico.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=380289

Nice little ute man, it has potential. I'd go with some extractors and a new exhaust to give it a bit of a rumble, new filter, plugs and leads should have the motor feeling a bit more 'fresh'. Wonder if you could find a lumpy cam for it :roll: :twisted:

Will be watching this build up with interest, looking forward to seeing your progress on it. Keep up the good work :wink:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

my dads ute is way to loud to be legal but he hasnt been hastled yet and it has got a 2.6 magna motor turned from East-west to North-south and it has extractors a 2 inch with a hot dog and it is heaps loud and it has heaps of pull

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
Hey Froudey check out this link for a few ideas hehehe http://nico.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=380289

Nice little ute man, it has potential. I'd go with some extractors and a new exhaust to give it a bit of a rumble, new filter, plugs and leads should have the motor feeling a bit more 'fresh'. Wonder if you could find a lumpy cam for it :roll: :twisted:

Will be watching this build up with interest, looking forward to seeing your progress on it. Keep up the good work :wink:

awesome thanks man..

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Post subject: Re: Froudey's New Project. = Best way to repair / fix rust?
Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The Dog wrote:
I've actually got a 720 myself Froudey. Mine used to be my grandfathers. Had a 2.2 litre diesel and 4 speed column shift. I blew that up so replaced it with a 2 litre petrol and 5 on the floor. Sunraysias and a set of 9292 sports seats finshed it off until we took the liberty of adding a couple of 5 inch stacks which are actually hooked up :twisted:
I think you will find someone has taken the carby off a 180b or the like as they had linkages while the 720 had a cable setup all the way to the carby.
Couple of tips: Wheels are real easy to get as they are standard six stud (Hilux etc). The combination switch is (as far as I know) unique to a 720. Mine has a switch off a 200b on it but the cowling on the column doesn't fit.

PM Sent mate.

As I looked at the wiring under the dash and behind the cluster and it looks to me that the previous owner couldn't get the cluster and parker lights working so him jimmy rigged some wires.

I go searched and found that I have know Idea what to do cause I intend on putting a new (well new to the car) combination switch in so it isn't on high beam all the time and can have the parkers and like working.

I also found that the combination switch would work with out the key... this isn't normal is it?

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I had a productive day today. Well last two days..

Yesterday I went to Orange went to the wreckers and with tape measure in hand I went a measuring some random cars and alike but got stuck on a R31 Pintara, after looking and alike I brought some R31 Silouette Seats for a grand ole sum of $80.

SO when I got home I got stuck into it. I put the seats in and after measuring and playing I found that they sat to high mainly the drivers seat so I removed the rails and fitted the rails off the bluebird seats that came in the ute when I brought it.

I found that only one side fitted correctly and I had to modify the other side of the rail. Long story short a weld here and a weld there and a riser made up they are in fitted up and don't look out of place. All I have to do now is purchase a new carpet of ebay or something install the cluster and give the interior a vaccum the interior will be done and then I will have to move onto paint the rust that I fixed.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next