Fordmods Logo

NZEA's EA Fairmont Build Thread (now with some pictures) 

Page 10 of 15 [ 211 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next

Post subject: Re: NZEA's EA Fairmont Build Thread (now with some pictures)
Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:29 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB

New Zealand

Eb Barbie wrote:
Eww I wasnt amused by the eye pick almost made me chuck! How'd you manage that!? Looks painful!

:lol: trying to puch a pin out getting my EA mirrors off, pushing upwards then slipped off it and whoop, straight into my eye. I went like triple vision and went to go upstairs to look in the mirror, everything was f**k up, like i was walking upside down. saw blood in the mirror so i just covered it with my hand and went and asked my girlfriend politely if she would take me to A & E :lol:

XFWAGON wrote:
Looks almost as good as the time i was clipping branches with secateurs and slipped, put my bottom teeth through my bottom lip/face lol.

Damn that bonnet looks the goods, all you did was wax it? might have to get onto some of that s**t!

Oh man that's a good one! Yeah I just waxed it, think it was "simons" will confirm that later. Comes up good aye, I was real happy with it, we'll see how long it lasts...

BenJ wrote:
My Le Mans Red EB had terrible Paint Fade. It was like a chalk almost. If you rubbed your hand on the bonnet you would get red on your hand.

When I first polished mine, I was amazed at how well it came up.

Well worth the effort.

Looking great.

BenJ

Cheers matey, I've cut it back three times in two years but this wax has bought it up well without taking away all my paint!!

1989 EA Falcon column shift - SOLD
1990 EAII, BBM, EL ECU, T5, LSD - SOLD
1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia V8 - SOLD
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Huge thanks to BenJ, TROYMAN, fiend and XR-Lane. The E-series knowledge/motivation pool.

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:37 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Wicked.

So I stalled on a sharp bend on a drive this morning, just put the clutch in and she died. Happens once every couple of weeks so bugger it. I'm going to be up the mountain(Ruapehu) a bit so I'm gonna have to buy a chip, tomorrow. Was just about to get a new head unit(back on stock at mo) but death is slightly worse than less than avg sound.

So I'll get a pre-programmed one, for my EL ecu. Should I get the xr6 version? or will it run crap without the fuel reg etc? :?

2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Huge thanks to BenJ, TROYMAN, fiend and XR-Lane. The E-series knowledge/motivation pool.

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

XR6.

And Mr XFWAGON. Remember I have those Subaru cup holders you were wanting if you're still going down that route...

Those cup holders are from SUBARU LEGACY or whatever you Aussies call them 1993 GT's... May be in other versions as well, not sure what you Aussies ended up with. Subarus in NZ are all Japan manufactured......

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:11 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Have just been offered an EL xr6 motor complete for $450. Good deal? Anything I can look for to make sure it's an xr6 like the numbers on front of head?

2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

There should be a big 'T' on the front of the head. The rocker cover should be Red, and have a tickford/xr logo accross the top/front. The fuel pressure reg should be a 300kpa, and yes, I think that is a good solid price, for a good engine.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Remember that $450 NZ is about seven dollars thirty cents AUS.

hahah

And hey - BENZ, how about (since you really can't afford the engine) we go halves and work out a decent way of splitting everything? I need the head and the block. You can have the bolt ons....

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:27 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Cool thanks.

Nah I just got a big back pay and I'm gonna do it man. Keen as and it's a pretty good deal.

Shall we go for a drive then?

2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Dead keen. Count me in... Can I bring some random ho who would do both of us plenty on the way up and back?

:lol:

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:14 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

:lol:

2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

If I find $600 I could get an AU2 XR6 short block from Palmy North while we're there..... You sure that engine of yours was in Palmy and not New Plymouth? Don't mind either way, but do tell more.

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:57 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

f**k yeah!!

2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

Here is an XR6 Manual EL ECU you could be interested in, could run better than the J3 chip being the real deal. You would want to see it first though, the guys feed back looks dodge as http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 498615.htm

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

That guy looks like a real tosser... 13 auctions and only four of them ever completed! Anyway, BENZ is running a distributor and EL BMM and computer setup on his 3.9 EA, so if the listing title is correct (EF XR6) this computer is no good to him anyway.

Just to clarify - The J3 chip is JUST AS GOOD, if not BETTER than having an "original". The J3 chip can be programmed, the original can't (easily..!)

The J3 just overides the tables and data in the original computer. If you copied a XR6 manual onto the J3 there is NO DIFFERENCE between it and a "real" manual computer as far as all the fuel maps, timing, etc etc etc that a engine computer uses to run the engine.

The only possible thing I can see that may be different is the way that possibly the manual computer looks at the line for telling if car is in gear or not. As previously discovered by BENZ, there is a line which expects varying voltages from the AUTO - when you replace the auto with a manual it is actually expecting a change of state between neutral and being in gear, but there is no connection for this wire taken into consideration with the "manual conversion guide" and with a proper 100% guaranteed correct manual loom to check against it is a thing which to this day remains a mystery.

My EF runs pretty good without this connected (as does everyone elses apparently)... If you have a close look at the manual conversion guide you will see resistors between the auto input lines into the ECU. I simply removed this whole wiring set up when I put the J3 in, and it runs good, although still gets into rev hang issues on occasion. I am thinking that by connecting the pins that previously had a resistor between them that the ECU will constantly think the machine is IN GEAR which may actually invoke proper use of the DASHPOT command.

Not sure what this will do the idle or anything when actually in NEUTRAL tho!

The NEUTRAL switch (if you follow the conversion guide on this site) doesn't actually provide any information to the gear selection pin on the ecu, so the ECU is running blindly away in whatever it thinks is happening - which could be constantly thinking it is in NEUTRAL now that I have a "manual" computer with no connection between the old auto gear select line (that doubles as a manual IN or OUT of gear line with the "real" Ford manual computer...)

Making sense?

Hmmmph. That's open for debate.

Post subject: Re: NZEA's EA Fairmont Build Thread WANT TO BUY IT?
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:27 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Yeah thats EF but ta anyway.

The nuetral wire thing, not letting it take over my life, bloody thing, if anyones got a real Manual Falcon on here it would be awesome to see what its all doing with the manual loom! Although you've got that EA loom we may be able to use to figure it out fiend...

Considering not getting the engine now...wne up mountain yesterday and got stuck on a .00005 degree incline trying to go forward on ice with both wheels spinning. Then the f**k wouldn't put chains on my car cos it was lowered, halfway up the mountain, so we had to hitch. So I thought f**k it, I'm just gonna buy chains. But now I want a four wheel drive anyway, grrrrrrrrrrr. I'll take 2 grand for the coon if anyone wants it...All details are in this thread.

2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Idiot! Just put bloody chains on.

Or - Hey --- Now here's a novel thought.

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF SNOW TYRES? I used to drive a two wheel drive up the South Island ski fields which have far dodgier and steeper roads than your yuppy North Island resorts.

Sure, I have done a few 360's when thinking I was Possum Borne on the way back down the hills, but what do you expect when doing close to 100km/h on ice and snow with a two wheel drive going down hill? It's a one way ticket to the bottom, very similar to my snowboarding techniques.

I'd be interested to see a real E series manual loom myself and find out what it does with that pin. No, it's not overtaking my life either, but selling your EACOON with EL management and LTD interior in order to get up a bloody hill once a week is backwards. Buy snow tyres. Buy chains. If still not getting up mountain, leave car at bottom at 6.30am and put thumb out. Meet people, enjoy the atmosphere of "scamming it".

Go buy a Toyota surf or something. $2000 will get you a crap one with dodgyness all over it and then summer will come along and you'll try driving the surf like a lowered Coon and want your Coon back.

Sort by  
 Page 10 of 15  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next