Post subject: The Six- '97 EL XR6- 180.5 RWKW
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hey All,
Decided it's time to do a thread on my XR. Compared to most rides on Fordmods, it's quite plain but oh well....

The story so far....

I bought the car in September '10, with 75,000ks on the clock for $8,000. The car was absoultely perfect not a single scratch on it! The previous owner had done nothing to it at all, just left it in a shed and driven it on weekends...

After christmas '10 I had got bored of the factory headers and upgraded to Pacemaker 4499. I noticed the difference straight away. The exhaust note was slightly deeper, however as one would expect power gain was hardly noticeable....

A few months later I decided to ditch the standard cold air intake, upgrading to an SS Big Mouth. Although it was a small mod it complemented the pacies perfectly. The exhaust note became slightly louder with a deeper note again.

Here are some pics of the XR so far....

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Last edited by Six on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Six
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: FG G6E/EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

It's awesome to see an E-series that still looks as good as yours does. And there's nothing wrong with a car that looks original (I reckon anyway), I think it's just good to do what you want with it and make it your own. I've not done a whole heap to my EF since I bought it, but enough to make it look a little nicer and sound a little better, and enough for me to enjoy driving it every day :D

"Build" Thread: the-garage-f53/jesse-s-g6e-and-ef-fairmont-t103265.html

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The XR is soon to be taken to CVE perfomance for a full going over including:
-Full Head work ( Porting and Polishing etc )
- Billet Cam to suit the flow of the head
- Vernier Gear
- Lifters
- Mls Head Gasket
- Ported inlet manifold
- J3 and full dyno tune

With all of this work completed, it is estimated that the XR will have 180ish rwk. :D

Also, two months ago I decided that the exhaust needed to be upgraded to something more free-flowing. So, at the moment it has a 2.5'' mendrel bent with a straight through rear muffler. The improvement upon the stock was huge!

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

wolfiekun wrote:
It's awesome to see an E-series that still looks as good as yours does. And there's nothing wrong with a car that looks original (I reckon anyway), I think it's just good to do what you want with it and make it your own. I've not done a whole heap to my EF since I bought it, but enough to make it look a little nicer and sound a little better, and enough for me to enjoy driving it every day :D

Cheers mate, I have always loved the E-Series XR's and I couldnt agree with more :)

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: FG G6E/EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

They're good cars even if they're getting a little old :) mine's a Fairmont but has the XR6 wheels the same as yours, but not the Tickford motor unfortunately haha.

"Build" Thread: the-garage-f53/jesse-s-g6e-and-ef-fairmont-t103265.html

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I managed to pickup some clear Altezza Tailights for Free... So I decided to ditch the stockies for now, but im still unsure about them...

Last edited by Six on Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

wolfiekun wrote:
They're good cars even if they're getting a little old :) mine's a Fairmont but has the XR6 wheels the same as yours, but not the Tickford motor unfortunately haha.

Yeah I love the FTR rims. Unfortunatly I cracked one of the rims bad, but for now its the spare lol...

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Here are a few more pics...

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

8-)

Last edited by Six on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thought it was time for an update,
The XR is off to Paul at CVE Performance on Tuesday.
It will be getting full head work, custom can, vernier gear, Mls head gasket, J3 tune with custom tune, fully Ported inlet manifold.
Bad newes is that the head alone will take 4 weeks, so I wont be expecting to get for at least 5-6 weeks.

After a lengthy discussion with Paul it estimated that the car will get over 180rwkw, which I am happy with.... For now at least lol

This work is only the first stage of modifications. The next step is wolf V500, solid cam, solid rockers ,improve intake setup and upgrade exhaust to 3" for improved flow. This will be quite expensive though and will be done around march next year inorder to pool funds....

However, I am hoping to pick up a tickford bodykit next month and then 19" Silver agents in Early Jan. I also plan to get a short or rip shifter soon as I hate the stock shifter...

Post subject: Re: The Six- Going to CVE Performance
Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

VIC, Australia

Look forward to seeing the results :)

3" exhaust - what gains are to be had from this alone

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I gained 10rwkw from the 3" exhaust, also when I did 13.80, turns out I had around ~170rwkw, be good to see what it will do with 199rwkw :wink:

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Turbo VT, VL Calais Trubo, HQ SS

VIC, Australia

If you dont mind me asking how much is all the work at CVE costing you? You can PM if you do not wish to mention it on the forum.

Because I maybe looking at something similar in the near future.

Just the headwork, baby cam, bigger valves, better springs and adjustable cam gear.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: The Six- Mod or Sell?
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

CVE was going to charge around the $4500 mark, for head work, cam, tune, inlet manifold ported, ver. gear.

My father in law got his SSV back from Horse Power Factory . Although I don't know all the details on the car it pulled 496.2 RWK with a 400 something Cubic inch engine transplant, 3.4L Wipple supercharger, Giant cam ( Lumpy as F**k on idle, the whole car shakes lol), Ported and polished etc etc. The car is insane, but has placed doubts in my mind as to whether its worth working the engine in the XR6 or just selling it and getting a V8... 200RWK Vs 496RWK is a huge difference and making a BA XR8 look very attractive....

Post subject: Re: The Six- Mod or Sell?
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

get the engine built up and turbo the EL, you will be able to give the SS a good run if you do it properly. The boss 5.4 engine is a pretty crap engine to work on and wont get very good power unless you spend mega bucks

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 38  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next