Fordmods Logo

turbo wills new boosted ef project now 12.10@126.5mph 

Page 4 of 14 [ 199 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next

Post subject: Re: turbo wills new boosted ef project
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:38 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

So got a little done. Wired up 7th injector activated from another boost switch at 12psi. Only running a little 24lb injector for now located just after intercooler outlet. I also plumbed in a 2nd water injector, now im running an m12 and an m14. Also changed the mix to 50/50 water/methanol. Tested against the stall again and it seems to have dropped the afr down a couple of points which is a good thing. Street meets arn't on for a while unfortunately so thinking about entering the burnout comp late feb, although i cant see it liking being held on the limiter for 2mins if the weathers still stinking hot.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:34 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

I have made a few changes to the car. Decided to go back to stock compression ratio, i was interested to see how it would effect the cars performance now its on e85. Removed the old 1.5mm shim between 2 stock headgaskets and refitted a single graphite gasket.

Just got it running again today and its made a huge difference in responce and power. It comes up on the stall easy as now, gets 10psi in 5seconds and 20psi in 6seconds. I got rego and went for a quick boot, still too early to make a final call as only did 10mins driving but it seems to come on much faster and hits full boost hard as. Roll ons in 2nd @ 80-90kms had the tyres spinning hard as soon as full boost 20psi hit. Fuel lights on so maybe its just light in the rear ill see how it goes with a full tank. Im impressed with how its going, only has 10degrees timing under boost at the moment, might be room to creep up on it a bit, although with how its going now it might be close.

Fuel system is maxed now, tune is commanding max fuel with an extra 24lb injector coming in at 12psi and 1000cc of methanol injection. Afrs are low 12s on 20psi.

Since the headgasket thickness is much less my timing chain is now noisy as might have to do chain and guides soon. Also have a few oil leaks to look into.

Next street meets in 2months keen as for another shot!

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:48 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Couple of quick vids showing were its at now. Already done a pb of 3.16 90-140kph with wheelspin and havnt touched the tune yet, seems the higher comp makes this car come alive!

2nd gear roll on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wLuRGRfE_I

0-180ish kph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSxFgsT82TQ

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 92 EB S

NSW, Australia

So you're running ~25 psi boost @ 10* adv on a dead stock motor not even decompressed? That's cool. Makes me look silly forging one with custom cam and headwork lol. Ever figured out a power figure? I'm sure with headwork, custom turbo cam and a bigger turbo you'd have more power for the same boost?

JackoTJK

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:16 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Currently running 20psi boost with 10 degrees advance on boost with e85 and water/meth injection. Should take more timing especially over 5000rpm. When it was on 98 and 25psi it had 9-11 degrees timing under boost. Haha these motors are tuff as its all in the tune. This motor is stock bar crow double springs and wade 1521a cam. Correct, decent flowing head, bigger turbo and cam to suit will make more power per psi. Havn't had this on the dyno with current tune, will wait till ive played with it some more, more power to had.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:56 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Had a bit of a road tuning session mon morning when it was nice and cool around 20c. Got the afrs sorted coming onto boost as it was still a bit rich and have the timing at 10 degrees till 5000rpm and 12degrees after. Has picked up a fair wack over 5000rpm just from that. Have recorded a best of 2.973 for 90-140kmh and 100-160kmh 4.215. 0-100s just end up in powerskids around 6seconds.

I think i might just leave it as it is for now, im prity happy with it and wait till the drags to dial it in. Going by my recorded times its faster than last time out at 115mph, just need to get it leaving the line hard this time.

Im still keen to test exhaust back pressure on the 3" system and possibly merge the single 3" into twin 3" running a 2nd muffler on the LH side. Anyone have any ideas if that would make it louder or quieter? Its already too loud as it stands.

Fuel economy on e85 is rather s**t 1/4 tank per 30 min thrash at the moment haha.

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:00 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Well last time i drove it the car picked up a boost leak noise on full boost. Thought it sounded like it was coming from under the dash but thought i must be imagining it and tightened all the cooler piping thinking that was the issue.

Today i discovered its actually the 3bar map sensor for the datalogger thats buggered and leaking, damn. Anyway with this leak logger was showing 15psi and so was the boost gauge making me think it was still a boost leak somewere. My line to fuel reg was also teed into this so it was running lean on boost, had me scratching my head for a while haha. Worste part was i had just hooked up a gauge in the exhaust to measure back pressure and was busy watching that and didnt notice afrs in the high 13s-mid 14s. Luckily no damage.

Any way there is 3-4psi backpressure in my 3" exhaust so i certainly have room to improve. Its worth noting this has to be one of the best flowing systems ive built, has only 3 45degree mandrel bends, no cat, straight through muffler and dumped at the diff, w/gate is plumbed back though. I dont think i will bother upgrading at this stage although its adding 6-8psi to the pre turbine back pressures which is never a good thing.

Measured turbine inlet pressures as well, seeing a peak of 32psi which currently sits it at 1.6:1. Getting rid off all the exhaust back pressure should see it down to 1.2:1 - 1.3:1.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:34 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Yesterday i repaired the leaky map sensor and went for a drive to test it out. Had a few goes at bettering 0-100 times. Tryed pedalling it with no luck best times came from leaving it leaving it on the limiter in 2nd with a non stalled launch. Got it down to 5.5 secs on 205s.

So on my last try i did same thing with selector in 2nd, held it on the limiter for a bit, backed off and put it in 3rd. It stayed in 2nd. So now i have lost 3rd and 4th gears somehow.

Hoping it something electrical as i wasnt using 3rd when it broke, hoping a shift solonoid is jammed on or something. Drove it today cold and same thing. Also noticed it dosnt engine brake at all in 2nd just goes back to idle.

Also mounted my gtech so it can be reached without leaning forward and attract less attention.

And pic of trans cooler mounted on passanger side.

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:51 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Damn trans is still broken, dropped the pan to find a crapload of small metal fillings in the pan/filter and what looks like never size silver paste on the bottom of the pan. Oil was looking rather cooked aswell. Anyway put in another s2 solonoid and trans service kit/fresh oil and its still a 2 speed. Thinking that maybe some of the metal shavings have jammed up something in the valve body. Hopefully i get time this weekend to suss it out properally.

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:30 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the btrs are a faily good box, but i found at 18 psi or around 300 rwkw would kill them fast..
with 260rwkw mine lasted a couple of years but everytime i upped the boost from 12 to near 18psi it would cook the box and shifts would turn to puss and would start slipping...

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford xg ute

NSW, Australia

time for a c4 or t56?

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:13 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Agreed the amount of heat the btr can create under heavy use is plain crazy. This will definatelly be staying auto and for now i will stick with the poor old btr and upgrade trans cooling system as again this failure seems to be heat related and frequent oil changes will probably be required, might change to sinthetic trans oil and see how that goes. Only got 800kms out of this box :shock:

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:13 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Dropped the pan again this arvo, oil was even dirtier than last time and found a bit of clutch pack material at the bottom. All the valve body spools were free so it was looking like a failed clutch pack.

Pulled the trans out and began trying to suss out how to strip it. Turns out they are way easier than a commodore trans to get apart which is good. Pulled the valve body off, removed pump and c1/c4 assemblies. Pulled the c1 clutch pack apart (3rd gear) and found it was toasted, looks like the metal shavings were from the steel clutch plates and the fibre ones were all prity shot as well. I checked the c4 clutch pack and it looked good.

I grabbed the spare trans from under the bench with a siezed pump and pulled the pump and c1/c4 out. Checked them and they all look like brand new which is great. Popped it back together with the old pump and fitted the bellhousing all ready to go back in. I will need to spend a bit of time flushing the crap out of convertor and trans lines before it goes back in.

So it seems 3rd may be the weak link in the btrs, size wise the clutch packs prity small. Im unsure as to if this failure was heat related or due to a old/worn trans or maybe too much power. It must have been slipping for a while, i never really picked it slipping badly, perhaps a little on the 2nd to 3rd changes under full boost in the end.

Any opinions or insight into this failure would be greatly appreciated?

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:01 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Popped that trans back in today. Started by flushing the trans lines/coolers and cleaning out convertor. Took 5l oil just doing that haha. Just went for a quick test drive and thankfully it has all its gears and drives ok for now. The servo cover gasket leaks but that should be an easy fix.

Not expecting this one to last long either, on full boost the logs show its slipping on the 2-3 change same as the last one was before it died completely. At first i thought it was wheelspin but after paying closer attention its def not spinning. Seems to slip for 1-2seconds in 3rd then rpm trace climbs like normal. Maybe the next one i will try machine the drum/piston and fit extra clutch or something.

I prity much have run out of time to do anything else now till the drags, still need to fix all oil leaks, fit tailshaft loop, fix thermo fan for trans cooler so it blows air down not up. Wont have time to change timing chain bloody thing is noisier than the exhaust, hope it all hangs together for the day!

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:07 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Well im F**k spewin at the moment! Car is all ready and going fantastic, i have worked my a** of getting it to this point and now the drags next sunday 17th have been F**k cancelled because they only recieved 28 entries even after no street meets for ages! All entries can be refunded or transfered to the nitro funny car event 13th april, with no doubt f**k all runs as its a comp meet. Weather was suppost to be a perfect day nice cool 26degrees too.

Im still unsure if i can make next months event or what im going to do. Wait and run the lowmount or move on to the topmount version of this kit were doing. I guess for now i will have to dyno the lowmount, hardly what i was after as power figures wont give genuine performance figures. Looks like street meets will be dead here once again. SA, im ashamed to say i live here atm :banghead:

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 14  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next