Fordmods Logo

EBXR6 ECU (Early 92 Non Smartlock) Does It Exist? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EBXR6 ECU (Early 92 Non Smartlock) Does It Exist?
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, seeing is i have one of those early stage EBII's that came with no smartlock, im wondering if there were any XR6's that came out with no smartlock, coz atm i want to upgrade my ecu to a xr6 ecu, but relized i cant use a the majoirty of ecu's coz there smartlock

- Grechie

Ford Falcon EA Naturally Aspirated 4.0L i6
13.797 @ 157.16km/h (Limiter Bounce)

1/4 Mile Video

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I dont see what the fuss is about the XR6 ECU's. If you want to do something worthwhile, look at an aftermarket ECU.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Waggin wrote:
I dont see what the fuss is about the XR6 ECU's. If you want to do something worthwhile, look at an aftermarket ECU.

Cos not everyone has the need or the $2000+ to splash on an aftermarket ECU, like yourself.

An XR6 ECU will do the job for most of the guys on here to control a simple cam change... You should know that.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Waggin wrote:

Cos not everyone has the need or the $2000+ to splash on an aftermarket ECU, like yourself.

An XR6 ECU will do the job for most of the guys on here to control a simple cam change... You should know that.

keep it factory!

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:15 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BF II XR6 Turbo Ute

VIC, Australia

i have an ecu that will do the job but u need smart lock if ya want to make it up

No dose No Care

P.B of 12.2@118 with more in it!!!!

Formerly known as ebturb

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

fordzatmyplace wrote:
arm79 wrote:
Waggin wrote:

keep it factory!

Keep it factory? What are you doing on a Modifications site then!

arm79 hit the nail on the head waggin, if I had the money i would of taken an aftermarket ECU, but instead a $100 bucks XR6 ECU did the trick to get my idle going, instead of a $600 Chip torque and $100 every time a mod is done to reflash, or a 2 grand full ECU change thingo. Maybe one day...

XR6's came out in 1992ish didn't they? I doubt they bothered releasing any without Smartlock.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Waggin wrote:

The differences between the XR6 tune and the standard 4L tune are so minimal, especially on the earlier 4L setups. I'd highly doubt you would see any worthwhile improvement either on the dyno, on the track or on the strip moving from a standard 4L ECU to a XR6 ECU.

If you just want an 'XR6' ECU to solve idling issues, there are better ways to do this.

Something like a Megasquirt can be had for AU$200 landed, thats what I call bang for buck!

Performance costs money, simple.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Last edited by Waggin on Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Maybe focus your efforts on doing a smartlock conversion first?

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Waggin wrote:
arm79 wrote:
Waggin wrote:

The differences between the XR6 tune and the standard 4L tune are so minimal, especially on the earlier 4L setups. I'd highly doubt you would see any worthwhile improvement either on the dyno, on the track or on the strip moving from a standard 4L ECU to a XR6 ECU.

Something like a Megasquirt can be had for AU$200 landed.

Performance costs, simple.

Yes... We both know tune differences are minimal. But, I think we both know any wade cam will barely idle on a standard I6 ECU. But throw in an XR6 ecu, problemo solved...

Performance costs, no s**t... But for those of us that just want their car to idle normal after a cheap cam change, then you cant beat a $100 ECU swap.

I think you might have forgotten the simpler times. :D

Post subject: Re: EBXR6 ECU (Early 92 Non Smartlock) Does It Exist?
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Grechie wrote:
Hey guys, seeing is i have one of those early stage EBII's that came with no smartlock, im wondering if there were any XR6's that came out with no smartlock, coz atm i want to upgrade my ecu to a xr6 ecu, but relized i cant use a the majoirty of ecu's coz there smartlock
I wouldn't think that you'll be limited to non smartlock ECU's.From what I can see, the only smartlock input to the ECU is via pin 4 (EEC IV & V), and if I read it right, it is 0 volts or 12 Volts.

You can check on any I6 EBII-EL which voltage is needed to enable the ECU - if it's 0 volts, you should be able to plug in a Smartlock ECU into a non smartlock car, and it should work fine, if 12v is needed, apply the power from an ignition feed. This is all theoretical, but should give you some ideas. . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

Waggin wrote:
arm79 wrote:
Waggin wrote:

If you just want an 'XR6' ECU to solve idling issues, there are better ways to do this.

Something like a Megasquirt can be had for AU$200 landed, thats what I call bang for buck!

Performance costs money, simple.

sounds like brads planning on assembling and tuning these things for us to, there is alot of grey area witht he MS and the i6 to does anyone actually have one working on an i6

Post subject: Re: EBXR6 ECU (Early 92 Non Smartlock) Does It Exist?
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:42 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Grechie wrote:
I wouldn't think that you'll be limited to non smartlock ECU's.From what I can see, the only smartlock input to the ECU is via pin 4 (EEC IV & V), and if I read it right, it is 0 volts or 12 Volts.

You can check on any I6 EBII-EL which voltage is needed to enable the ECU - if it's 0 volts, you should be able to plug in a Smartlock ECU into a non smartlock car, and it should work fine, if 12v is needed, apply the power from an ignition feed. This is all theoretical, but should give you some ideas. . . . .

If only it were that easy. Its not a 12v or 0v signal, its a fixed precise 12v frequency. Almost as easy to replicate, but not so straight forward.

I have an EF Ghia BEM here and a barrel that you might be interested in to get smartlock working. Its all you need. Just have to train the barrel to the BEM, wire the extra wire to a smartlock ECU and your done. I see someone has offered you an XR6 smartlock ECU here already.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Apparently the smartlock signal is a square wave isnt it? Which would be easier to replicate than a sine wave, but yeah, would be nice. I have a series one EB, and dont want it forever stalling when i get around to the cam!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

The smartlock Signal is actually a coded wave. That is, the mark/space ratio changes over about 30 steps.

.. but after that it loops.

A few of us were looking at deisgning PICs to replicate it, but never finished it due to lack of need.

Ford sell a smartlock emulator for $330. - no need for the BEM etc its just 3 wires - power, gnd, and signal. Castlemaine Auto Electrics also do it I believe for the same kind of $$.

Nigel

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:58 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Nigel wrote:
The smartlock Signal is actually a coded wave. That is, the mark/space ratio changes over about 30 steps... but after that it loops.
A few of us were looking at deisgning PICs to replicate it, but never finished it due to lack of need.Ford sell a smartlock emulator for $330. - no need for the BEM etc its just 3 wires - power, gnd, and signal. Castlemaine Auto Electrics also do it I believe for the same kind of $$.

arm79 wrote:
If only it were that easy. Its not a 12v or 0v signal, its a fixed precise 12v frequency. Almost as easy to replicate, but not so straight forward.
I have an EF Ghia BEM here and a barrel that you might be interested in to get smartlock working. Its all you need. Just have to train the barrel to the BEM, wire the extra wire to a smartlock ECU and your done. I see someone has offered you an XR6 smartlock ECU here already.

Yeah, being security I should've realised the output would've been a waveform signal. :oops:
Be careful if converting to a smartlock setup - EBII - ED run a separate Smartlock module and central controller - both sit in the dash inboard of the handbrake, these two components were integrated together as a BEM in the EF & EL series. I'd say it would be easier to get a smartlock module and wire it up - ECU pin4, power line to the starter solenoid, and a line to the ECU power relay are the affected areas, along with the smartlock module wiring itself. The smartlock ign locks are the same all way through . . . :D

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next