Fordmods Logo

Engine Development 

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Ok, I guess my idea could do with a bit more research.

Who is the 'retail' market leader for I6 engine modifications?
Nizpro ? any others?

What power levels are they getting from N/A I6's? what power levels are being made from Turbo I6's?

Once I find comparable power / services offered I will advise pricing
Obviously savings will be made 'cutting out the middle man'

Cheers
Engine Guy

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Pictures,Websites,youtube links,FAQs,testimontals.

if ya want to become a comercial sponsor PM the FAGs, as i was trying to say are you going to offer your suggestions or help rebuilt motors or offer pakages etc.. what money would people be looking at

As i understand it the standard BA XT has 182 at the flywheel and with losing about 30% from the drivtrain still ends up around the 134 at the wheels

so imo 199rwks isn't that much of an feat for a DOHC BA > BF motor that has had a decent tune (and chip) and free flowing induction and free flowing exhaust would come close to that. it may not be spot on but it would be close.

so what would you offer to us with the SOHC motor?

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

There is alot of talk from you Engine Guy,but no proof no sale.Simply as that.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Engine Guy wrote:
All I am trying to do is see if vehicle owners would use an engine development engineer direct rather than use a tuning shop...

As I said in my first post.....just floating the idea - to see if it's worth investing in.

Cheers
Engine Guy

As you may have noticed, people are throwing some s**t at this thread.

my suggestion is it is hard to just go head first in to car performance stuff. so build yourself up a couple of motors in your spare time and let the engines do the talking.

and be prepared to take some flack from people.....

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Engine Guy wrote:

Nizpro ? any others?

What power levels are they getting from N/A I6's? what power levels are being made from Turbo I6's?

Cheers
Engine Guy

the problem you are going to have is, MOST of your potential customers don't want a race quality engine.

They want cheap easy upgrades that bring the most power possible.
This is why the 'Bolt On' market is as big as it is.
The reality is that an engine built with factory internals to factory spec is more the capable of sort of power most people are after. Again this is why the bolt on market is so big.

Your second problem is the fact you are trying to push an unseen product an internet forum, The group of people you are targeting by this, is the biggest Tight a*** bunch of people you will ever see. (sorry guys, but for %99 of you, it's true)

I'm not saying your idea is bad, you just have the wrong target audience,
and you don't have any proof of product.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Engine Guy wrote:

Nizpro ? any others?

Cheers
Engine Guy

the problem you are going to have is, MOST of your potential customers don't want a race quality engine.

They want cheap easy upgrades that bring the most power possible.
This is why the 'Bolt On' market is as big as it is.
The reality is that an engine built with factory internals to factory spec is more the capable of sort of power most people are after. Again this is why the bolt on market is so big.

Your second problem is the fact you are trying to push an unseen product an internet forum, The group of people you are targeting by this, is the biggest Tight a*** bunch of people you will ever see. (sorry guys, but for %99 of you, it's true)

I'm not saying your idea is bad, you just have the wrong target audience,
and you don't have any proof of product.

People are pretty fridget with there money with sight unseen procucts also.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Your second problem is the fact you are trying to push an unseen product an internet forum

yeah, very bad idea. a very quick way to start a s**t fight thread

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:56 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: el gli manwel

QLD, Australia

i agree with fifty one build up a motor or two stick em on an engine dyno film it with a camera phone or what ever you got stick the video on here for all to see that way we can see what we are buying. we understand that you dont want to be in a tuner shop, but learn from them to be successful. what i mean is that look at the r&d that these people put into their work. example castlemaine rod shop, mal wood automotive, dellow automotive. ok they are well established businessess but before they can put a product on the market they have to design it build it modify it test it. break it to find out strengths as to whether it meets iso 9001 and tha aus/nz standereds. its good that you have come up with an idea for a business because they all start in the same place as an idea in someones mind. BUILD THE PRODUCT FOR ALL TO SEE evan if you dont want to sell your secrets if, potentail for competition to take ideas, build it prove your worth and they will come

THE LOOSEST MUTHA FUKA YOU'VE EVER MET

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

bushman wrote:
i agree with fifty one build up a motor or two stick em on an engine dyno film it with a camera phone or what ever you got stick the video on here for all to see that way we can see what we are buying. we understand that you dont want to be in a tuner shop, but learn from them to be successful. what i mean is that look at the r&d that these people put into their work. example castlemaine rod shop, mal wood automotive, dellow automotive. ok they are well established businessess but before they can put a product on the market they have to design it build it modify it test it. break it to find out strengths as to whether it meets iso 9001 and tha aus/nz standereds. its good that you have come up with an idea for a business because they all start in the same place as an idea in someones mind. BUILD THE PRODUCT FOR ALL TO SEE evan if you dont want to sell your secrets if, potentail for competition to take ideas, build it prove your worth and they will come

Hi

With all due repect I think that the replies I am getting are missing the point of my original post...

So, let me put this another way, would your average vehicle owner use an engine builder direct - as opposed to using a 'tuning shop' ?

I fully understand that the 'proof is in the pudding' - after all I have been in the Motor Industry for over 35 years now...

As I said in my first post - just floating an 'idea'
Cheers

Engine Guy

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

HI Engine Guy

Maybe it might to an idea to list the services you offer compared to "tuning shops". For example, all work done in-house - things like crank work, head work, boring, balancing etc etc saving the need to "sends parts out". Maybe also the parts that are offered - cams, engine kits, gaskets etc.

As has been said, alot of guy here use bolt on parts as that is what the general public usually does. The idea of a race team sending an engine to a builder and getting it back fully prepped is often foreign to many people.

I see it as too hard to compare pricing in this situation but ballpark figures for boring, head planing, crack testing etc etc might help people understand where you are coming from.

Cheers
RD

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

I think it also needs to be made very clear which engines you are proposing to build, and for what price bracket.

Those of us with EA-ED SOHC Fords will unlikely be wanting to spend two or three times the cost of our cars purchase price $100-$2000, and bolt on parts provide the best 'bang for buck' option.

Owners with EF-EL may consider spending more, but not a lot.

AU owners have a newer base to start with and may consider outlaying several thousand dollars on a complete package.

BA and newer use the DOHC Barra engine and the investment in larger sums of money into engine development starts to make more sense on a percentage of car value basis.

It should be noted that a fair number of SOHC engines are putting out up the 140rwkw mark with 'bolt on performance', and in the lighter cars will give the newer cars a real fright.

I think you need to be clearer regarding your target market and define what you propose to offer.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Engine Guy wrote:
bushman wrote:

Hi

With all due repect I think that the replies I am getting are missing the point of my original post...

So, let me put this another way, would your average vehicle owner use an engine builder direct - as opposed to using a 'tuning shop' ?

I fully understand that the 'proof is in the pudding' - after all I have been in the Motor Industry for over 35 years now...

As I said in my first post - just floating an 'idea'
Cheers

Engine Guy

With all due respect, most of the people on here would prefer to do as much as they can on their own driveway, that's why they are here.

once it get past the abililty of the owner, the logical next step is a 'tuning shop' as you put it.

You'll also find most people dont want to build engines, it's a waste of money in their eyes to build an engine, it's far cheaper to bolt horespower on then it is to build it. Blow it up and buy a $300 wreckers engine and bolt all the bits to that and do it all again.

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:

With all due respect, most of the people on here would prefer to do as much as they can on their own driveway, that's why they are here.

once it get past the abililty of the owner, the logical next step is a 'tuning shop' as you put it.

You'll also find most people dont want to build engines, it's a waste of money in their eyes to build an engine, it's far cheaper to bolt horespower on then it is to build it. Blow it up and buy a $300 wreckers engine and bolt all the bits to that and do it all again.

Agreed, thats exactly the point of this site.

I myself am about to do a cam/head/chip combo on my own car. I have done it all before, and will do it this tim, excdept for the head machining, whcih i dont have the gear to do it with, this will be and has always been trusted to my mate, a fitter and turner.

Floating such an idea without proof anywhere is not going to work, let alone on an internet forum.

maybe some fools in civics that hang out at autobarn on a thursday night may fall for it.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

PIMP_LTD wrote:

I myself am about to do a cam/head/chip combo on my own car.

off topic- that EA wont know what hit it lol..... 4480's, shaved head/bigger valves, decent cam all at the same time should wake it up nicely, i wanna go for a drive when its done.... should be good for roughly 150kw+ with a good tune :twisted:..... depending how tired the bottom end is though..

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

EA?? i'm outraged! hahaha.

We can meet at willow an go nuts :) and my bottom end is quite healthy, woot!

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next