Fordmods Logo

Malfuction Indicator Lamp 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Malfuction Indicator Lamp
Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FG XR6

VIC, Australia

Just 3 days ago i had pacemaker extractors put on with 2 1/2 cat back exhaust put on my FG and now my MIL lamp comes on. It says in my drivers manual that if it is constantly illuminated whilr driving that the vechicle is no longer operating with in the emissions regulations and vechicle should be taken to ford dealer for inspection, i was told that these exhaust are all compliant with emission control laws, so now im a bit confused, does anybody have any advice as what i should do and what might be needed to rectify this problem with out having to obviously having to remove my exhaust

FG XR6 (NA) 4495 PACEMAKER EXTRACTORS, HI FLOW CAT, 2 1/2 CAT BACK EXHAUST, VG V8 SNORKEL AND AIR BOX. Custom Tune (Herrod Motors) 166rwkw, 518NM

Post subject: Re: Malfuction Indicator Lamp
Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon EL Option 20

QLD, Australia

Is the O2 Sensor connected properly?

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

You have Hi Flow cat according to your sig, that will do it. also, how many O2 sensors are fitted now?

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I think just the one, i can see under the bonnet at the end of the extractors there is like a sensor going in there, so im assuming thats what that is. Now excuse me for sounding like a bit of a noob, but is this harmful for my car? Is there a way around this?, or will a custom tune fix this problem? And even if the light is on am i compliant with emission laws?

FG XR6 (NA) 4495 PACEMAKER EXTRACTORS, HI FLOW CAT, 2 1/2 CAT BACK EXHAUST, VG V8 SNORKEL AND AIR BOX. Custom Tune (Herrod Motors) 166rwkw, 518NM

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

jeffro73 wrote:
I think just the one, i can see under the bonnet at the end of the extractors there is like a sensor going in there, so im assuming thats what that is. Now excuse me for sounding like a bit of a noob, but is this harmful for my car? Is there a way around this?, or will a custom tune fix this problem? And even if the light is on am i compliant with emission laws?

There should be a senso before the cat, and one after it. a tune wil remove the MIL light, but no, it is not emissions legal with an aftermarket Hi Flow cat.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thats strange i could have sworn that i read that the system that i bought was compliant with all emission laws. And how to hi flow cats make it fail with emission laws. I would of thought that if anything it would have made it better.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

67RCE wrote:
jeffro73 wrote:

There should be a senso before the cat, and one after it. a tune wil remove the MIL light, but no, it is not emissions legal with an aftermarket Hi Flow cat.

No i can only see one sensor before the cat... Is this normal and what can i do to rectify this problem?? Am i doing any damage to my car??

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

mate you needed to do your research before fitting the full zorst system, but none the less i can help! - i have got a bf and its got the 2x O2 sensors (which the fg also has), there is the one which you can see just after the extractors but there is another one just after the cat (actually almost plugged into the cat) a tune will stop the check engine light coming on but is damn expensive (i will eventually get a tune but not just yet) see this thread link below - i have explained everything and included pics of this adapter that I am using which has stopped the light coming on, the zorst guy i used also had a FG and used the same setup which stopped the light coming on, i think however the economy is effected a bit although i have been gassing it heaps to hear the sweet sound it now makes :D I have a 200CPSI high flow CAT, basically any lower and it aint legal, i think the lowest around is a 100CPSI but againt that aint legal and really doesnt do alot in regards to converting emissions so you may as well not have one.

this is the thread i was talking about - have a read of what i have said - ford-bodykits-f15/extractors-and-cats-on-fg-or-bf-t88631.html

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Noooo my check engine light has just come on, is it this engine symbol that also means the exhaust is no longer meeting emissions, i have a full 2.5inch with hi flow cat and extractors but as i said below i have an adapter that should have stopped the light coming on. I guess i will have to take it to Ford to be certain, i hope its not my exhaust playing. I seem to have having quite alot of bad luck lately with my friggin car

New Build Thread

Old Build Thread

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BF MkII XR6 Ego 6spd Man

SA, Australia

Phil545. the adaper hasnt rusted has it??? i was just looking on ebay and one of the o2 adaptors on there is stainless and mentions that if its made of mild steel the fault will come back as the corrosion lets off toxins or something later down the track

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

the mil light comes on due to the second 02 sensor getting readings outside its pre programmed scope, caused by different speeds and make up of the gasses going by in the cat. the cat will still meet emissions levels if it has been previously verified, its just the o2 sensor is programmed to work on a cat of a certain size and work with certain readings, and you have changed the size of the cat. the computer looking at the readings thinks you still have the smaller cat and the readings it is getting means there would be an issue. (a simpler version is to imagine a 1 litre milk bottle with a sensor in the top of the neck which tells you when the milk reaches it to say its full. put in 1 litre of milk, and bingo, computer thinks its full. change the bottle to a 2 litre bottle and put the sensor back in the top of the neck. pour in 1 litre, and the sensor isnt giving you a full reading. the bottles are both fine, the sensor is fine, the milk is fine, the issue is its all setup to work with the calibrations of a 1 litre bottle.) to solve the mil light issue you will need to get your computer flashed. when i had my fg flashed for this reason, there was 3 options.

option 1. full custom tune, approx $1500. gives full customisation over everything relating to engine management, and is tailored to your specific engine and any mods.

option 2. generic tune, approx $700 to $900. gives you a basic tune for small power gains and economy gains over factory settings. doesnt give any customisation or take into account any mods you might have done.

option 3. program overwrite, approx $300. flashes a program onto your computer to make the car think that the second o2 sensor doesnt exist, so any readings from it are disregarded. problem is that if ford flash your computer at any later stage for any reson, that program will get overwritten putting you back at square 1.

better off getting a generic or custom tune, as you will get the program stored into a flash unit so you can reupload the program again later if need be.

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thanks very much guys, i got my mechanic to hook up the computer and there was an error with the cat so they cleared them all and the light hasnt come back on and its been a week. I am pretty sure its just sensing the hi flow cat so nothing to really worry about. I had a look and the adapter and sensor doesn't look rusted so i really dont know. If the engine light comes on again ill get back to my mechanic to confirm it is the O2 sensor.

Thanks very much for the tune info phatba, i did know this was the only way to get rid of it and i thought the it was quite pricey depending on what you get. I think i will go with the full custom tune as i want to get the most out of my mods. Ill just save up a bit for it but that will be the last thing i do.

Cheers

Phil

New Build Thread

Old Build Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Au2 xr8

New Zealand

I've found my own way to eliminate the engine light go to your hardware store get your self some stainless steel gauze and wrap it round your o2 sensors exiting the cats has to be atleast 3 times get some stainless lacing wire and wire tie it round the gauze my engine light got reset and never appeared since

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]