Fordmods Logo

No oil pressure reading?? cluster oil/ low coolant light on? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: No oil pressure reading?? cluster oil/ low coolant light on?
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Wagon/ 1967 XR

VIC, Australia

Can someone help us ive got a series 2 AU forte wagon and it has no oil pressure reading on the guage and the oil pressure light and warning chime comes on after around 30 seconds of starting, yet the engine itself definately has oil pressure. :togo:

So far i changed the dash and cluster to a series 2 TS50 then had ford match the keys and that was all working fine with the old motor.

But I have now put in a VCT engine, ecu, loom, and a 5 speed manual and took it back to ford so they could get it running which it does on gas fine but rough as on petrol and i cant seem to figure out whats wrong with the guage
and oil light?????? ive already changed the oil pressure switch to a sender on the side of the block so its not that any ideas???

Also the forte wasnt fitted with the wiring for the low level coolant sensor in the header tank so i measured the resistance of el sensor (nearly positive its the same sensor), then joined it inline with a yellow and red wire that goes into the back of the dash and wiring diagrams which show it comes from the coolant sensor and still stays on????

I unplugged the coolant sensor on a el and started the car which had no effect with how it ran just the light flashed so im thinking its maybe the oil pressure problem which has maybe sent the ecu into limp mode or something when on petrol???

Had enough driving on gas and flashing lights on cluster :nothappy:

Post subject: Re: No oil pressure reading?? cluster oil/ low coolant light on?
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

saw a problem like this the other day, was a loose earth under the coolant resevoir

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I fixed the coolant sensor problem now i wired it properly so just the oil pressure drama....any ideas???

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I know this thread is a year old now, I found it searching for info between pressure sensors and pressure switches. I found this informaiton which may be of service to this particular case:

Quote:
Adding an Oil Pressure Sensor

Because the Low series Instrument Clusters do not have an Oil Pressure Meter, these vehicles do not have an Oil Pressure sensor fitted.
Instead of the Oil Pressure sender, they use an Oil Pressure switch.
What is the difference between these Oil Switch sender thingies I hear you ask ?

The Oil Pressure switch is just that, it switches to Ground when the Oil Pressure drops below a certain level.
This means that the Oil Pressure switch is only good for Switching a low Oil Pressure Lamp On or Off.
If a Mid or High series Instrument cluster is used with an Oil Pressure switch, the Oil Pressure guage will either show 0 Oil Pressure, or very very High Oil Pressure, with no intermediate pressure.

The Oil Pressure Sender has a constantly variable Voltage, that is directly related to the Oil Pressure.
Obviously, this variable voltage is required for an Oil Pressure guage.
The Mid and High Series Instrument Clusters also compare this voltage, and if the Voltage falls below a predetermined level, the low Oil Pressure Warning lamp is Illuminated.

The Oil Pressure Switch, and Oil Pressure sensor are located in exactly the same place, and as stated above, if fitting a Mid or High series Cluster, (I.E. upgrading from a Low series cluster), the Oil Pressure switch will need to be replaced with an Oil Pressure sensor.
These sensors are located roughly about 2 inches above the Oil Filter, on the Inline 6 motors.
The sensor also has a single wire coming from it, with a spade electrical connector.
The Oil Pressure sensor can be purchased from Wreckers for around $20.
Or alternatively, can be bought from Ford for around $50.00 - Ford Part Number EF-9D290-A

enough isn't enough

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

cheers mate yeah i dunno why it never worked, being a vct engine from a xr6 with the xr6 cluster having the oil pressure guage it should have had one in there to start with but someone had taken it out when i got the motor so i went to ford and paid half an arm for a new one but it still never moved, i check the pressure with a mechanical guage and at both idle and 2000 rpm it had the correct reading so was a mystery to me.
The only thing i could think of was if the fairmont vct engine loom which i used was slightly different to the xr6 one and therefore was missing something which didnt send the reading cos basically the TS cluster was a mid range one anyway just with a silver face, anyway not to worry ive since sold the car and told the new owner to just check it now and then although if there ever was a failure it still should bring up the light on the cluster anyway

Grimketel wrote:
I know this thread is a year old now, I found it searching for info between pressure sensors and pressure switches. I found this informaiton which may be of service to this particular case:

Quote:
Adding an Oil Pressure Sensor

Because the Low series Instrument Clusters do not have an Oil Pressure Meter, these vehicles do not have an Oil Pressure sensor fitted.
Instead of the Oil Pressure sender, they use an Oil Pressure switch.
What is the difference between these Oil Switch sender thingies I hear you ask ?

The Oil Pressure switch is just that, it switches to Ground when the Oil Pressure drops below a certain level.
This means that the Oil Pressure switch is only good for Switching a low Oil Pressure Lamp On or Off.
If a Mid or High series Instrument cluster is used with an Oil Pressure switch, the Oil Pressure guage will either show 0 Oil Pressure, or very very High Oil Pressure, with no intermediate pressure.

The Oil Pressure Sender has a constantly variable Voltage, that is directly related to the Oil Pressure.
Obviously, this variable voltage is required for an Oil Pressure guage.
The Mid and High Series Instrument Clusters also compare this voltage, and if the Voltage falls below a predetermined level, the low Oil Pressure Warning lamp is Illuminated.

The Oil Pressure Switch, and Oil Pressure sensor are located in exactly the same place, and as stated above, if fitting a Mid or High series Cluster, (I.E. upgrading from a Low series cluster), the Oil Pressure switch will need to be replaced with an Oil Pressure sensor.
These sensors are located roughly about 2 inches above the Oil Filter, on the Inline 6 motors.
The sensor also has a single wire coming from it, with a spade electrical connector.
The Oil Pressure sensor can be purchased from Wreckers for around $20.
Or alternatively, can be bought from Ford for around $50.00 - Ford Part Number EF-9D290-A

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]