EF Turbo Track Hack Project: 

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: EF Turbo Track Hack Project:
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Wagon/ 1967 XR

VIC, Australia

Yeah brakes are pretty awesome.. Havnt experienced any brake fade so far, the first time I used them on the car I was braking way to early into corners but that was only first real track day I did with it.. getting better now with some more seat time.
They do change the front track width of the wheels but I'm running about 3 deg camber and can still squeeze 8.5" el gt's with 245 on the front and no rubbing!

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:03 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Been ages since was on here last but have decided to do some more track days with the car so have started on a list of things that are hopefully going to make it both a lot quicker and more reliable.
Car has no rear end in it atm will get some more when can move it again.

Front bumper cut open a bit more to promote better air flow...(hopefully) and some mesh to prevent any foreign stuff smashing either coolers.

Re-installed that black plastic skirt thing that sits just under bonnet between top of bumper and rad support around the bonnet release, really trying to force all air through both Intercooler and bigger Radiator

New oil cooler tucked away in lower left vent hole, not sure what old oil temps got to last time at track but they would have been somewhat nasty!

Underbody pan hopefully stops a fair amount of air coming up through lower engine bay at speed and more through front end where it should be.

Also going to try bigger pullies to slow mainly power steering pump but also alternator, curious to see if theres any noticeable difference in rpm pick up like what some people have mentioned.

Diff now fitted with a mini spool to fix the worn out lsd and will keep the 3:45 ratio for now while still has the 5 speed.

Short shifter is easiest gearbox upgrade and by far way more user friendly condiering how bad selecting 3rd used to be, new quick release velo wheel and reverse vents one being just above the turbo to help draw heat out.

Will get some pics of new suspension when pick it up tomorrow and some more engine bay ones when its all back together, still a lot to go before next track day but is coming along well

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Went and picked up the suspension the other day, was put onto this guy Gary Baker / Baker Brothers and was told hed be the man to speak to.
Definately knows his stuff having had dealings with 80's and 90's touring car teams and then ratteled off a few associates such as Jim Mock etc.
Anyway hopefully this will make an large improvement overall looking forward to getting out there again now!

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:09 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Just installed a 16" thermo fan I picked up after confirming even with bigger cooler water temp just wont handle being stationary with car running for more than a few minutes once already at operating temp.
Race Radiators already welded in the brackets to suit before i picked it up for any future provision.
Tested it out the other day we ran the car up to about 3/4 on the factory temp guage then plugged fan in and it dropped the temp down below the L in about 90 seconds! money well spent.

Another pic of the air duct to turbo... will hopefully flow some air through filter to turbo ( Filter still has some purpose and not just straight through)

And just bought a E85 Fuel Flex sensor and kit to wire into New ECU when goes for tuning in 2 weeks so it can run different ethanol content if it vary's at the pump throughout seasons, although being a track only car ill probably still buy it in the drum knowing its definately 85 :thumbsup:

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Awesome car mate, doing things properly. How much was the Flex fuel sender and where abouts do you get them. I'm thinking of changing mine to e85

Cheers

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I got mine from zeitronix in usa they have 2 different setups exactly same price mine came with the Flex Fuel Sensor (FFS), and the Ethanol Content Analyser (ECA), Plus wiring looms to suit the kit.
Everything in this unit is built in and allows you to scroll between Ethanol% and fuel temp as well as having a output for both the above to send to your ECU/ Management unit.
They also have a second newer version ECA-2 which does exactly the same thing only with more parts and a different looking guage but you need a second additional guage to monitor fuel temp you cant scroll between the 2
http://www.zeitronix.com/order/order.htm#ECA

Theyre not exactly cheap with the display and kit etc but they have all the individual items sold seperatly if need just to send a E% signal to ECU.

Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

may I ask why you have your pcv going to your turbo intake?.. oil in the intercooler wouldve been the last thing I would want...

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Falcon96XR6 wrote:
may I ask why you have your pcv going to your turbo intake?.. oil in the intercooler wouldve been the last thing I would want...

I noticed this as well when first got the car tried venting through catch can then straight to air as well it was fine under normal driving conditions but driven hard Oil would slowly weep out the front of the rocker cover gasket.
I thought it might have been changed like that from my mate or the previous owner if it was getting a bit of blow/ motor tired by but it seems to have been that way since motor was built?
I checked to see how much oil was auctually passing through the intake after coupe of hard laps testing which was fairly minimal. Although not ideal I don't think it will harm anything unless there's another way to create vacuum and still vent?

Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

inline catch can? run the hose from the pcv, to catch can, then the other hose from the catch can to where the pcv is connected to now,

will still create vacuum and work the same.. but will stop any oil from going into your intercooler..

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

double post

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:12 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Falcon96XR6 wrote:
inline catch can? run the hose from the pcv, to catch can, then the other hose from the catch can to where the pcv is connected to now,

will still create vacuum and work the same.. but will stop any oil from going into your intercooler..

Cheers will keep that in mind, I've gotta have another reservoir at the moment which works out to around 2.4 litres after the catch can to make a total of 3 litres for engines over 3001cc. Once I get something a bit more permanent than the container I have now ill look at plumbing them together and see what can make of it.

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Car went to the tuners on Monday after a minor oil leak from chain tensioner seal and having to fit stock Tyres for the rollers. we plugged in the wolf only to find there was a programming issue with the tune :banghead:
Both mine and another V1 supercharged ef had the same issue but got a call today to say it was now running and possibly being tuned tomorrow.
Ran okay on the drive there was surging a bit when not under load running 77% ethanol, diff was manageable with the mini spool especially on re55 semi slicks in the wet!

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Just got the car back today from second tuner I had to take it to as the first place was never going to get it finished in time by not working on it!
Pretty happy with how its running now after it had a few gremlins in the ECU which have all been sorted
It ran up to 11 pound as a "safe" tune keeping in mind engine life on what is possibly a slighty tired bottom end as well.
Made 260rwkw and tourqe unknown with gear and final drive ratios still having to be accounted for.
Im happy with that for now after knowing it was at E75 being mixed with whatever crap unleaded was still in the tank, could hear the pump starting to suck air just as was taking it off the dyno!
We put 15 litres of fresh pump E85 and the guage now says E81 so has come up a bit and will prob buy 100L of race spec 85 when get down to the track this wkend!

The wolf ECU is happy now running everything but If was to do engine management again would just bite the bullet and go Motec!
Now to just drop all the fluids, re-bleed the brakes, stickers and its "relay" time! haha

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:24 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1998 el falcon sapphire

QLD, Australia

Looks like an Awsome build, I've got a one I'm turning into a track car. I was just wondering how much it roughly cost for all the turbo gear and any other upgrades you would recommend. So far it's only lowered on sl king spring and I've got extractrs on the way but undecided on what exhause system to go with. Any info will be a great help thanks

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Bit of an update car went back to tuners to get idle a bit better and try to get mixture right now it's running proper 85, picked up another few kw just from fresher fuel, I'm going to leave it around 265 with this motor and just keep using it till compression goes sad. Still has plenty of go have to feed throttle on out of most tight corners even with 255 potenza slicks... good fun!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2