vacuum leak?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: vacuum leak??
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

ive got a funny feeling i may have a vacuum leak, car is ba mk2 xr6 n/a, my reasoning is that i read somewhere at idle a vacuum gauge should read very close to 30, mine reads a bit under 25 at idle, the other reason is with the engine switched off, if i move the BBM acculator up and down i can hear air hissing out of where the pipe from the BBM meets a modual of some sort in front of the ECU cover (side facing airbox), i can hear no air leak from this area when car is started.
is this normal or may i have a work seal or something??

(update) the vacuum gauge reads closer to 20 then 25

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Last edited by winman on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: vacuum leak??
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Grab a can of aerostart and spray it around the area when the car is running, if the revs change, you have a vacuum leak.

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ive got a mechanic doing a service and looking at some other issues which have come and gone (for now) randomly, in a couple of days, ill mention it to him and see if hes got any ideas. other then that where can i get aerostart from?? ive got a chemical spray called "start ya bastard" which is used for rc cars when their not starting and can be used on cars, will this be the same/similar product.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU XR6

NSW, Australia

start ya bastard should do nicely.
It is great stuff, got some for my mower, does what it says on the tin. I was |.| that close to tossing the mower, saved me $400.

You may want to keep in mind that your vacuum gauge could well be quite wrong if its not a decent one.

If your looking for a not too bad leak, idle the car, then stop the engine (better yet have a helper stop the car) and listen near the engine, if after the engine stops you can hear a woosh of air, you got an issue.

Obviously have the AC off.

To check your brakes, idle the car, work the brakes once or twice (push to the floor), stop the car then press the brakes again, I believe the legal minimum is you should get 3 presses to the floor out of the reservoir before it becomes hard, you will know for sure when you run out of vacuum lol. I'm not sure how long its sposed to hold vacuum when its just sitting there but it should be able to do at least 10 minutes.

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hmm i seem to have misplaced my can of start ya bastard, ive been told by my mechanic that if i had a vacuum leak issue i would notice it, however if i have the engine bay open i can hear a woosh of air as the car is switched off

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

That woosh sound as the car is turned off is usually the aircon gas. Not a vaccum leak.

If it was leaking that badly to make that big a sound, your car would barely be running.

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

as with 99% of my driving time aircon was switched off, idled the car for a couple of mins, turned off the ignition and WOOSH, if their is a vacuum leak it would have to be small, but their still seems like their might be one, idle is at normal rpm, thats how i know its nothing major

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

never mind im a muppet, i cross referenced that close to -30 reading should be at idle with some other sites, turns out idle should be round 22, this means my vacuum and engine health is 100% A ok, and that woosh sound, surprisingly found out what it is on a charger forum, its the air going back thro the CAI, because i dont have a legit box around my pod you can hear the air escaping.
gotta love the internet some sites are full of s**t and others are full of solid good info

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]