Fordmods Logo

EL XR6 high beam lights 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EL XR6 high beam lights
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

for some reason while im driving with my high beam lights on, after a while my normal driving lights and my high beams start to flicker on and off, i dont know what it could be.i did wash the engine bay maybe its that not sure?

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Post subject: Re: EL XR6 high beam lights
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Have you upgraded the bulbs in either?
It's probably the high beam relay nearing it's death. High beam relay will be a blue 5-pin one.

*EDIT* The relay wont be a blue 5-pin, that's the low beam one for Falcons and XR's. The high beam relay is a grey one.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Last edited by MAD on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:45 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Nope it will be the circuit breaker under your overflow bottle. I had the same issue, you drive for a bit, then everything turns off. the C/B is cheap. you can pull it apart and clean it up but it will to be replaced.

The relay is easy to test as well, just find out what one activates when the High beams are turned on and switch it out with anther in the car.

I put money on it being the circuit breaker though.

If you need a pic let me know.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

+1 for the Cct breaker.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

nothing turns off the lights just flash on and off

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
Nope it will be the circuit breaker under your overflow bottle. I had the same issue, you drive for a bit, then everything turns off. the C/B is cheap. you can pull it apart and clean it up but it will to be replaced.

The relay is easy to test as well, just find out what one activates when the High beams are turned on and switch it out with anther in the car.

I put money on it being the circuit breaker though.

If you need a pic let me know.

post up the pic so we all know

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:53 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

great, you ask me to do this when its dark.

I'll do it in the morning. BUT, you undo the screws holding your overflow bottle down, no need to fully remove it, just enough to get it out of the way. the circuit breaker is located directly behind the bracket that the battery anchor goes through.

But, yes happy snaps will come in the morning. Too dark and cold to be bothered @ 10pm.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Shouldn't really need the pic - the cct breaker doesn't look anything like the relays under there (Fuel pump/ECU). There is a third relay from memory - Air con WAC.
Just disconnect one connection and if there's no headlights, then that's the Cct breaker.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Quick flashing on and off doesn't sound like a circuit breaker to me.
The circuit breaker only comes into play when there is excessive current draw (hence my question about upgraded bulbs) there's nothing to wear out on them unless they are constantly being overloaded, then the contact might become dirty from constant sparking as the contacts close each time.

Here's what a circuit breaker looks like.

Inside there is a bi-metallic strip, that when heated by excessive current draw bends and opens the contacts. When it cools again, it will close and the circuit will work again. It's basically a self resetting fuse.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:27 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Well the thing is the OP needs to add more detail to the symptoms - type of 'flicker', When was the engine bay washed, and did the symptoms start soon after, etc.

I'm assuming 'normal driving lights' means the low beam - and the high beam relay won't affect that.
If low/high beam are affected, then the common items are the cct breaker and the steering column stalk.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

washed engine bay saturday.and symptons started sunday.when i have the high beams on for a while maybe 20-30mins both high beams and low beams flicker on and off untill i turn the high beams off then i have to let it like cool down before i can turn them back on again.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:43 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

still want a picture? it was only gonna be of the CB and what position it is in, but I am now thinking that it has been adequatly described. if you get stuck let me know.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Well the thing is the OP needs to add more detail to the symptoms - type of 'flicker', When was the engine bay washed, and did the symptoms start soon after, etc.

I'm assuming 'normal driving lights' means the low beam - and the high beam relay won't affect that.
If low/high beam are affected, then the common items are the cct breaker and the steering column stalk.

On falcon and XR models the highbeam relay actually runs both low and high when you flick to high beam.
The low beam relay is a 5-pin relay and when you flick to high beam the low beam relay is deactivated which connects the N.C. pin on the relay to an input from the high beam circuit to keep the low beams on.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

interesting, because I know on my fairmont it was slightly different but I know fairmonts/lanes had different headlight wiring, but I had exact same symptons and it was th circuit breaker under the overflow, but I suspect mad right, maybe get one of each.
I currently have the cuircuit breaker issue in my xc, eventuall I'll add the relay I've got there in.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

MAD wrote:
On falcon and XR models the highbeam relay actually runs both low and high when you flick to high beam. The low beam relay is a 5-pin relay and when you flick to high beam the low beam relay is deactivated which connects the N.C. pin on the relay to an input from the high beam circuit to keep the low beams on.
You are absolutely correct - though if you remove the low beam relay whilst on high beam, high beam won't be affected.
OZBMX wrote:
interesting, because I know on my fairmont it was slightly different but I know fairmonts/lanes had different headlight wiring, but I had exact same symptons and it was th circuit breaker under the overflow, but I suspect mad right, maybe get one of each.
Fairmonts don't have that extra connection on the low beam relay that MAD covers above - there's been a few threads on here where people have converted to either XR or low series headlights, and find the low beam doesn't stay on.
Easiest way to test the cct breaker is to put a shorting lead on the terminals and see if the fault disappears (make sure there's no short ccts). Or use the power window cct breaker in it's place temporarily.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next