Fordmods Logo

HID headlights 

Page 7 of 42 [ 628 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 42  Next

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:59 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU - Turbo

Oustide Australia

Ah yeah they didnt look all that purple on the road but I see it now. I remember seeing a pic of 13000k on some jap car and the road was pratically all purple.

Can you tell the difference when driving between the HID and the fake HID lights? I know the fake (tinted bulbs) look a bit crappy on a certain angle.

Also the head lights don't seem to be putting out much light? Becuase of the bulbs or picture?

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

Mine are 6000K though ... hence pretty white.

There is a massive difference between HID and halogen ... light clarity distance of beam is way better.

I am going to fiddle with the Projectors lenses from a Mazda 6 and try and get them in my headlights ... and get the proper beam needed for the HIDs ... cos I kinda get stray light beams here and there.

But the difference is amazing indeed.

I have my headlights aimed down ... otherwise i'd piss people off in traffic. The pic i took though is across grass too into the side paddock ... it's hard to show the depth of the beam ... but it does travel a fair way set kinda low.

I have the right headlight down as not to shine into oncoming cars ... the beam actually angles up to the left and off the road more.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:27 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Good news and bad news.

I got mine in today.. only to find I had a very dumb moment when I ordered them and ordered H3's, not H1's. GRRR

Anyway, I put the H3's in the high beams, and f**k they're amazing :D I've just placed an order for a set of H1's so I'll have a full compliment of HID kit on the XR front end.. cant wait!

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

hehe good stuff brad

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:27 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Hi everyone,

I gave a bit of info on this subject on this thread, BUT, it seems that is a wee bit of confusion and misunderstanding when it comes to HID Xenon light bulbs and how they work.
Here is a bit more simplified facts:

Xenon bulbs do not have filaments. There is a mixture of gases which via a discharge unit are lite and the light pattern is nothing like Halogen ones.
Xenon beam is very “roundâ€￾ as Halogen is somewhat “ovalâ€￾
To compensate this and to allow Xenon lights to have a “Traffic Safeâ€￾ pattern, they had to do a few changes to the headlight assy.
First of all to filter the unwanted colour (Blue, Purple etc) they added the “projectorâ€￾ lens .
Then there was the problem of “Traffic Safeâ€￾ pattern, so the reflectors had to be shaped to create a light pattern similar to the Halogen ones.

As you see the reflector which is Vacuum Chromed Plastic is not round anymore. This re-shaping is sort of like the lines inside the Halogen reflectors.
Now, before anyone comes back and tells me that they have seen Xenon reflectors that are completely round, YES, there are round ones but they are mainly used for Fog lights or High beam.

So to install a Xenon Discharged Kit in a reflector made for Halogen you MUST lower the beam as much as possible and on the drivers side you need to point it to LEFT, so you don’t blind oncoming traffic.

And if your reflector is a Vacuum Chromed Plastic one, try to keep the temperature around 6000K or it may melt and deform the reflector.

Since Xenon bulbs have no filament, they can only create one type of beam, which can either be used as Low or High beam.
YOU, CAN NOT get a REAL Xenon Bulb to create both Hi and Lo beams from same bulb. (Unless you have the new version, which I referred to earlier in this thread).
We have also established that the ones presently sold in the market are so called Bi-Xenon. Which means that there is a Real Xenon bulb and a Halogen one (for Hi beam) in the same unit.

If you have a 2 reflector headlight assy. And you install a Xenon kit in the Low reflector, that means you will still have a Hi beam from your Hi beam reflector What happens is that the bulb in your Hi reflector comes on and the Lo beam (Your Xenon bulb) is still on as Lo. Although in a Halogen bulb case the Lo beam filament of the main headlight would be turned off and the Hi filament would be turned on, when flicking the Hi/Lo switch.
And if you hear a click or any other noise/sound, it means that your relay is working fine. Unfortunately, your Xenon bulb is not changing from Lo to Hi beam.

The “fakeâ€￾ Xenon bulbs or the â€￾tintedâ€￾ Halogen bulbs are not all just tinted and fake ones.
There are some real Xenon Gas filled ones out there too.
They can produce up to 8 or 9000K which is extremely good, but they do not have neither the depth nor the brightness of a real Xenon kit.
And they are very expensive ($80-110.00) but still cheaper than a real Xenon kit. So if you don’t or can’t afford buying 2 Xenon kits for your vehicle you could always buy one real kit for the Lo and a “Fakeâ€￾ bulb for the Hi beam.
Some of the “fakeâ€￾ ones are sold for $0.99 plus $11.00 (freight) on eBay.

I would love to see the end result when Mechan1k has finished playing with the Mazda 6 projector units.

Have fun,
mavs19

Have fun,
mavs19

Last edited by mavs19 on Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 75th Anniversary Ghia

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys - interesting topic! :)

Could someone suggest what kit would suit my EB Series 2!? Also, what globes are standard for my model!? (ie: H?). Can't find info on them anywhere! :( Also, where would be a reputable place to get upgrade globes (only) as direct replacement for standard halogens?

The kit that ReGiE put in his looks excellent - where from and how much!??

Cheers - Matt.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

FPV05 wrote:
Hi Guys - interesting topic! :)

Could someone suggest what kit would suit my EB Series 2!? Also, what globes are standard for my model!? (ie: H?). Can't find info on them anywhere! :( Also, where would be a reputable place to get upgrade globes (only) as direct replacement for standard halogens?

The kit that ReGiE put in his looks excellent - where from and how much!??

Cheers - Matt.

well i have the same car as u. i got the kit from ebay. for the low beam its H4 and the high beam is H3 (i think)

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

Mavs:

Are the H1 and H3 lights different in any way other than the actual fitting?

I was able to get the H3's which I incorrectly ordered into my H1 lights in my ED XR, however the beam emitted from them was next to useless, I just got a couple of V's on the road, nothing else. Once I put the H3's into the H3 (high beam) they worked fine.

My concern here is that the ED XR Low-Beam projector lense may not be appropriate for the HID's.. but Im just hoping I saw the effects of a H3 light used in a H1 projector.

Cheers!

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I'd say the projectors would be OK Brad, given that most factory HID equipt cars run projectors. If you made the H3 bulb fit where a H1 was supposed to be then chances are it wasn't aligned right and may have been angled into the side of the projector lens or something instead of aimed at the middle and focused ?

ImageImage

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

mavs19 wrote:
So to install a Xenon Discharged Kit in a reflector made for Halogen you MUST lower the beam as much as possible and on the drivers side you need to point it to LEFT, so you don’t blind oncoming traffic.

I have done this so far ... I get it down as much as possible ... but it still can be annoying to other drivers I have found (the missus has told me when i followed her ... and she's in the higher Territory as well).

When i get some time to sit down and have a look at the headlights properly with Pierre and see how he's doing it ... I'll try and get pics.

I really want to get the Projectors in and fix my beam.

I had a fiddle with the other night with my spare halogen globe in one side ... and the highbeam xenon in the other side to work ... but getting both sides to work at the same time is the hard part ... might have to try and get some more load in the circuit (currently running 35W both sides instead of 60W both sides) ... but it does work with 60W one side and 35W on the other ... so I am not far off.

I'd love to be able to show "mavs19" how mine does work ... as I definitely do not have a halogen highbeam in my H4 kit.

I need to get a electrically minded person to try and nut this one out for me ... cos I'd love for my xenon highbeams to work (both at the same time ... LOL)

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Brad the H3s are designed differently from the H1 for the beam ... I'd try the H1s in the projector and see how they go ... I'd say the H3 globe maybe a different length from the H1 ... hence why you are getting a different beam through your projector lens.

I'd be interested in seeing it when completed.

Did you get the 2 second shut off delay when turning the high beam off???? If not ... they'd be perfect to use for highbeams (although you'd still get the warm-up effect when turning them on)

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

Mechan1k wrote:
Brad the H3s are designed differently from the H1 for the beam ... I'd try the H1s in the projector and see how they go ... I'd say the H3 globe maybe a different length from the H1 ... hence why you are getting a different beam through your projector lens.

I'd be interested in seeing it when completed.

Did you get the 2 second shut off delay when turning the high beam off???? If not ... they'd be perfect to use for highbeams (although you'd still get the warm-up effect when turning them on)

Yeh, they work FANTASTIC as high beam. I was up at Norwest/Bella Vista last night adjusting the high beam aim. No shutoff delay thankfully, and yes, they take a good 5 seconds to come right up. For 'flashing' oncomming traffic at night from cold, oncomming traffic would still see your flashes. If the globes are still warm they come straight up to near full brightness instantly anyhow.

I cant believe I ordered H3's *dies in a corner*

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Oh well .. now to get the H1's .... it's a case of finding places to mount the ballasts and run all the cabling ... LOL

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

theres plenty of space for the ballasts ion the eb engine bay.

i have the drivers side ballast attached to the plastic battery box and the passengers side ballast is attached to the side of the airbox

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

here are some pics of where my ballasts are mounted in my engina bay

there is also a pic of the back of the headlight cover which i have modded to keep the inside of the light waterproof

Attachments:
DSC00408.JPG
DSC00408.JPG [ 64.24 KiB | Viewed 160 times ]
DSC00407.JPG
DSC00407.JPG [ 102.78 KiB | Viewed 153 times ]
DSC00406.JPG
DSC00406.JPG [ 105.36 KiB | Viewed 165 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 42  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 42  Next