Post subject: LED Driving Lights - NEED HELP UNDERSTANDING RELAYS PLEASE
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Hey guys

:D :D

Im looking on eBay just at some daytime driving lights and am wondering about how to run a relay in order to switch the leds on and off. I would like them to receive power from the parker lights so that they can be used without the headlights on. Also i am worried about my own clumsiness and forgetting to turn off the leds if they arent connected to my parkers.

If anyone could provide some information on how to do this using relays it would be much appreciated. Funnily enough i have years of computer experience and i work at Di ck Smith yet i have never bothered to learn about relays... hmmmm...

Thanks everyone in advance
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Post subject: Re: LED Driving Lights - NEED HELP UNDERSTANDING RELAYS PLEASE
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon Monti

NSW, Australia

Um, might it be suggested to run a wire from the accesories (possibly the positive for the cigarette lighter) to a switch inside the cabin then run another cable to the relay from the switch that way when you turn the car on, the switch controls when its on and when its off. if you wire it up to an accesory like the cigarette lighter, you can leave the switch on all the time that way when the accesories come on when you turn the car on, the lights will come on and when you turn the car off, the lights are also turned off..

Someone will have a different opinion but i thought it may help. Dont forget to use quality power cable

BANNED USER

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I do understand the wiring as i have done all the wiring and audio and other aftermarket electronics. I am only unsure of how the actual relay works and what is required to cause a realy to function in the circumstance i have listed above. Thanks for the advice.

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon Monti

NSW, Australia

Well when i did my fog lamps, i did it exactly how the relay said to wire it up. +12V from the battery with an inline fuse to protect the relay, Ground, Accesories power (thats where the wire from the switch goes to) and then the Output to the lights. The output is the 12V that obviously goes to the positive pin/wire on the LED's and then the Negative can be wired up to a suitable ground or if you can depending on whats closer, you can wire the negative to the negative terminal on the battery.

Sorry if i cant be of any more help.

BANNED USER

Last edited by tony.martin11 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:31 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AUIII

NSW, Australia

Is this the info you were after??

Attachments:
relay_wiring.jpg
relay_wiring.jpg [ 26.02 KiB | Viewed 303 times ]

AUIII, PACEY 4499's, MAGNIFLOW CAT, 2.5" ZORST, 17X8" AUII XR RIMS....otherwise all factory!

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

the sam wrote:
I do understand the wiring as i have done all the wiring and audio and other aftermarket electronics. I am only unsure of how the actual relay works and what is required to cause a realy to function in the circumstance i have listed above. Thanks for the advice.

You would feed the power for the LEDs through the relay (so that connection is switched by the relay) the relay trigger will come off the 12v accesories wire, so when the accesories switch gets turned on, it triggers the relay and the power to the LEDS is activated (you can have a seperate on/off switch on the LED power lead (so they are not on all the time that acc is on), but once the accesories is turned off it will deactivate the rleay, and kill power to the LEDs, thus ensuring they can't be left on without the key.

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks a shedload. I spent time on the net but i couldnt find a photo of a relay i wanted to use. Thanks darth. That is extremely helpful.
I'll post again if i need some more help. Cheers guys

sam

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]