Fordmods Logo

Swap AU11 Fairlane Instrument Cluster into AU1 Fairlane 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Swap AU11 Fairlane Instrument Cluster into AU1 Fairlane
Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NT, Australia

Does anyone know if an AUII High model instrument cluster will fit in an AUI Fairlane Ghia? I have had some people saying they will, and others telling me they wont. Had a look in the Technical Documents but it doesnt say much about going between AU11 and AU1. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Swap AU11 Fairlane Instrument Cluster into AU1 Fairlane
Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:43 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Wagon/ 1967 XR

VIC, Australia

I reckon you'll be able to get it to work but your going to have to play around with a couple of things id say.
What are you doing it for anyway? is it to change the km/s or something or are there the extra features in the series 2 cluster?
The high series (Fairmont, Fairmont Ghia, fairlane, Fairlane Ghia) didnt haven the different colour fascia as the xr/ T series (mid series) clusters do so its im guessin its not for that?
This link http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread ... +cluster+2 is for a sereis 1 to series 1 cluster upgrade so prob not exactly what your looking for but then again it may be the same process if the smartlock and smartshield dont clash as ashcook said.
Although most of the mis match problems are controlled directly by the BEM so you may be able to get away with it with some modding???
But anyway if youve already got both clusters then no harm in having a crack. a series 1 ecu can be flashed to run in a series 2 so anythings possible i reckon

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NT, Australia

Thanks guys. It seems like the best thing to do is wait for an AU1 High cluster to come up for sale. It is just sad looking at those high kms! I wish I knew first what it had on it and i would have waited a bit longer. I have placed an add on the wanted forum, so hopefully someone will have one soon with some lower kms on it. Thanks again.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Hey I believe you can change the k's like on the ef/el, but need someone who can change surface mount chip successfully.

The other possibility is get a busted up cluster down the wreckers and transfer the speedo motor?

Also an interesting quirk on the au1 ecu's is it will run an ef sort of, but will run like s**t and stall out constantly, but actually does run it. :lol:

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:27 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Thats not true at all. A series 1 ECU will only work in a series 1 car. The entire electrical system between series 1 and 2 are completely different, totally and utterly. I spent weeks trying to do all of this and none of it works. Check my build thread for my AU ute. It all ended up being a waste of time as no cross between series 1 and 2 worked. I would strongly recommend to avoid it like the plague. Save yourself the wasted time and money.[/quote]

Can you just for a second stop telling me im full of s**t and auctually get ya facts straight before running your trap, flash is prob not the best word to use in this situation but dont tell me a series one ECU cant be run in a series 2 theres always ways around these things, your not the only one whose done some changes on an AU.
Yes the BEMs and looms are a waste of time trying to chop and swap if thats what your referring to.

Back to the point "colgreenwood" if you contact your local ford service dealer they should (depending on where you live) be able to put you onto someone they deal through who works with VDO otherwise just go to VDO direct they'll help you out with the cluster km reset and reprogramming.
Not sure on a price tho im yet to find out when new motor goes in but youd have to be pretty lucky to find another cluster really close to your cars current odo reading.
Keep in mind there can be some severe penalties involved in "winding it back" though so try to keep the figures real if your changing the km/s, otherwise good luck with the searching. :)

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:11 am 
Fordmods Junkie

WGN-485 wrote:
Can you just for a second stop telling me im full of s**t and auctually get ya facts straight before running your trap, flash is prob not the best word to use in this situation but dont tell me a series one ECU cant be run in a series 2 theres always ways around these things, your not the only one whose done some changes on an AU.
Yes the BEMs and looms are a waste of time trying to chop and swap if thats what your referring to.

As ash said, series 1 is smartlock and series 2 is smartshield. coil packs are different aswell as pin outs on the ecu connector. Have you run a series 1 ecu in a series 2? I dare say you need to get your facts straight before running your trap.

Ashcook has proven that it is just not worth the s**t f**k around between series 1 and 2 AU's. You might find his AU11 ute build thread enlightening, the link to it is in his sig.

Why the hell would you want to run a series 1 ECU in a series 2 anyway.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ashcook wrote:
WGN-485 wrote:

I know exactly what I'm talking about, I've done it. I f**k and f**k around trying S1 ECU with S1 BEM in a S2 car but still no go because of the S2 ignition barrel.

But if you wish to try, go right ahead.

Mate i read your thread as suggested.... "snap0964" on page 5 three posts from the bottom had all your problems solved there and then....he's a technical contributor for a reason, cos he good at this stuff!
Nows probably the time to tell you that the only difference between your XR conversion and mine is that yours is a HP and mines a VCT but both series 1.
So tell me this, why wont a series 1 VCT motor with the required accessories to a VCT engine loom which is then wired through a bypass and a Series 1 VCT ecu which then sends the correct signal to a series 2 TS50 dash and BEM which I already had the origional keys programmed and matched to suit by ford not operate?
Otherwise f me im driving a post june 99 ECU running with a smartlock bypass which would just be a waste of time!!!
And xr-lane do you think i would have bothered with this series one ECU if a series 2 manual VCT ecu was so easy to find or didnt cost you an arm and leg from wreckers? if you can find one within a week or two at a reasonable price then congrats to you.
Even to get a auto series 2 VCT ecu and have ford or a tuner overwrite and remap the manual program in is not worth how much it costs compared to doing it this way.

Look at the last post on this thread...http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread ... lock....If thats not you then whats he going on about????

http://www.shiftkits.com.au/index.php?m ... ducts_id=4
Give them a call if you want and they'll tell you everything the BEM controls will operate as per normal provided you dont feed it with the smartlock signal.
Im not going to go out and start taking photo's of catch codes and vin numbers just to prove myself, you can either believe it or not i dont care all i know is i got everything running perfectly after having to figure it out myself as well, i just dont have a build thread to discuss it.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:17 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

:lol:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]